Flashing Nvidia Bios Within Windows - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Flashing Nvidia Bios Within Windows

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 82 (Unique: 71)
CAUTION, FLASHING BIOS CAN BRICK YOUR CARD, AND WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY, USE WITH CAUTION!

I am not certain that this has been covered before, I tried searching but got no luck.

This came about, from a thread another person posted that was having issues editing, and then flashing his bios. Im not certain if this is a fluke, or an anomaly as myself, and another user had both experienced. As every guide I seem to read forces you to do the boot loader route, which is entirely way more difficult then this method.

Again, I apologize if this has been covered, and feel free to move, or delete this thread as seen fit.

The reason you flash your card is up to you, I do not intend to cover, why you are editing, or the risk's involved.

Files you are going to need.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2133/NVFlash%205.118%20for%20Windows.html
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/NVIDIA-BIOS-Editor.shtml
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

First, you are going to need to download the three files above.
I personally choose to have all three in the same location to make it easier to work within the same folder.
82722252.png

Once you have downloaded all of the files, you can extract them all using whatever extracting program you choose.
At that point your folder should look like this.
ff2h.png
If you nvflash DOES NOT look like this, its not going to work, and you downloaded the wrong version of nvflash. Go back up and use the link provided for nvflash.

If everything so far has gone to plan, you are going to need to get your stock bios from your video card using gpu-z. Which is a fairly simple process, but is the only part of this instruction where I will suggest to you that you put anything in a file other than the one you created for this thread. I personally put mine on a back up drive that I use in case anything where to happen to my os drives. For this tut. I will be using a backed up bios that I already edited, so it will be in the same folder as the rest of the bios flash utils.
ff3e.png
Remember where you saved the file to, because you will be needing it for this next step.

At this point, you are going to open up nibitor.
ff4r.png
After you have opened nibitor, you fill hit file, then open. Once you are there, you will have to find your file wherever you may have put your file, make sure to put the file type to .bin, as it will not show up as a .rom, because you have not made it yet into a rom file. Sorry about the vlc, your may or may not show up as that, its just what I use for media files. Your may show up as the same symbol as nibitor, or not, either way, it should read as any nvidia bios read which are gpu arch code, mine being a fermi, I get a gf110, the 110 being for the 580.

ff5v.png
At this point, all that you are going to do is click on the file at the top of the nibitor menu, and click save as. This on here I would suggst as saving as something other than the stock named bios, that way you will know which is the back up, and which is the one you are editing. This one, you should save directly to the folder you made at the beginning of this tutorial.

After opening nibitor back up, and then going to file, you are going to open up the .rom bios file that you just saved.
At this point, you are going to edit as you see fit, for my uses, I only edited the fan speed, as zotac never made an official 100% fan setting. How and which way you edit yours, is at your own risk and I assume no responsibility for your broken card.
ff6.png
After this, just hit save as again, and it will ask if you want to over write the file, click yes.

Now, you have your edited bios, and this is the part as to why I made this thread in the first place. Most of the other guides have you going through boot loaders, and running in bios to edit. Tech power up has made a vesion for windows that works like this.

Open up the folder. Take the edited bios .rom. Drag it over to the nvflash, you will get a prompt that ask if you want to allow nvflash to change your computer. click yes, and this prompt will come up.
ff7e.png
follow the prompts through.

Its going to hang for a couple seconds, then disappear.

At this point you are going to want to restart your computer.

Once your computer boots back up, go into gpu-z to confirm if your bios was correctly flashed. thumb.gif

edit: I'd like to also mention that this method will work for flashing to another brands stock bios, but you will have to do your own research as to which bios will work with what cards, which is why I chose to leave those parts out of this tut. It will work the same up until after the part where you have saved your backed up bios. From that point, you will not do the editing, but instead just drag the bios of your choice from another person, or another vendor onto the nvflash I linked further up the thread and follow the prompts. again, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

About flashing two cards at the same time. Another forum user Nyghtryder_9 was gracious enough to try this method while running two cards at the same time. This is the thread where it was discussed
https://www.overclock.net/t/1210984/asus-gtx-580-bois-volt-mod
It seems as though it will work for two cards that both have the write protection turned off, but until we have further confirmation of others successfully flashing two cards at the same time, I would go ahead and assume that its a hit or miss as of yet. Anyone that tries to flash two cards at the same time please pm me, or post in this thread what your results may be so I can update this section.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 114 (Unique: 92)
Excellent guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dph314 
Is it weird that I'm slightly aroused?
No, it isn't. Epeen is rising!

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 698 (Unique: 562)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 33)
Nice guide thumb.gif so now I dont need flashing through USB FD or flashing with Galaxy Extreme TunerHD which also works fine via windows wink.gif

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 10:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 256)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks guys.

Hope it helps someone out, I know I had a hard time using the usb bootable way of doing it and somehow stubled upon the techpowerup version of nvflash for windows and thought I'd share.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

I just recently flashed my bios card with Jesusboots's guide biggrin.gif and works like a charmmmm really fast I thought it was failed thumb.gif
Thx bro, +rep for you smile.gif

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Np, thanks for the rep biggrin.gif

Also, theres a small edit to the original post related to flashing two cards at the same time using this method.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Your welcome Jesusboots smile.gif wow flashing 2 cards at the same time? Nice info again bro thumb.gif but I never had SLI because my budget only fits 1 card biggrin.gif:D

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'd just like to mention its still not confirmed to work for two cards in sli, just that it seems like it will work.

If and when someone tries it again and can give more feedback to whether it is successful or not, I'll be editing the original post to reflect the results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in