Windows 8 boots, but shows only black screen with new nVidia driver 310.54. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Windows 8 boots, but shows only black screen with new nVidia driver 310.54.

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
I currently have a weird problem. It seems to have something to do with the display driver, nVidia's driver 310.54. I got Black Ops II today from Steam, but it had dips from 60 to 30 fps which made playing inconvenient in 310.33. So why not install 310.54 with the great news nVidia presented. I installed the driver with my usual routine. First uninstalling the PhysX driver and then the Display driver by nVidia (I always leave the 3D driver and other things I don't use out). Then restarted, Windows activated it's default driver (everything's still fine). Then I installed 310.54 and after a reboot the Windows 8 logo comes up with the rotating thingies and as a runner up nothing but a black screen. What do I have to do? Can I try Safe Mode to uninstall the drivers and go back to a previous driver or try again? I also would like to know if others have this problem too.

My video card is the GTX 670 FTW.

Also I noticed something weird. My Logitech G510 lights go out and on, out and on while the black screen is still there. It's like the nVidia drivers created a blockade so the rest of the drivers can't load for the keyboard and etc. I have the latest Logitech drivers and never messed with anything. So, I absolutely don't understand why a situation like this occurs.

*FIXED*, read next post.

The Red & Green Tidehappysmiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4453102

"I installed these without any major hiccups. Noticed on the GeForce.com forum that they've identified what caused the black screen/flickering issue with the v310.33 beta drivers on Windows 8:

1) Flickering Screen/Black Screen After Installing R310.33/R310.54 Drivers on
Windows 8

Issue
After installing the R310 driver on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or
flickering screen.

Root Cause
This occurs because Windows Update performed a background installation of a Release
304 driver, which requires a reboot to complete the installation. After installing the
Release 310 driver and then rebooting the system, installation of both the Release 304 as
well as the Release 310 is completed, resulting in conflicting driver binaries and the black/
flickering screen.

Workaround - Prevention
To avoid the issue, reboot the system before installing the Release 310 driver.
Alternately, you can check the driver status under the Device Manager and perform the
reboot if the Device Manager indicates that a restart is needed. Then install the driver.

Workaround - Recovery
If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now
encounter the black screen, do the following:
1 Reboot in Safe Mode.
2 Uninstall the driver.
3 Disconnect from the internet and then restrt the system.
4 In normal mode, install the new driver." - The Workaround - Recovery from Darren Hodgson fixed my problem people. After all it appears some people had it too.

The Red & Green Tidehappysmiley.gif
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 95 (Unique: 88)
I cannot get into safe mode. I read that the way to do this is to hold shift and press f8 but this just makes it ask me which device to boot from, or enter the bios. If I continue the boot and keep pressing it, it either restarts or keeps going with the boot and goes back to the flickering screen.

SoCal Member
Steam: xSKOOBSx
Origin: xSKOOBSx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobs View Post

I cannot get into safe mode. I read that the way to do this is to hold shift and press f8 but this just makes it ask me which device to boot from, or enter the bios. If I continue the boot and keep pressing it, it either restarts or keeps going with the boot and goes back to the flickering screen.
Yep had the same problem,i just did a format and did what battleaxe did.Works ok now.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Linux Lobbyist

A format?

SoCal Member

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Just got it to work. Apparently there is a point at which you have to stop pressing f8 lol

SoCal Member

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 10)
I have this problem aswell.

Any NVIDIA Driver after 327.23 has a chance to cause a Black/White Screen after the Windows Loading Screen.

Even on a Clean Windows install with the latest 337.50 it happens.

So i'm stuck on 327.23.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in