High-pitched squeaking sound coming from my PC when moving mouse around - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

High-pitched squeaking sound coming from my PC when moving mouse around

Closed Thread

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 6)
Hi all. Let me first point out that I'm aware of the fact that this might be in the wrong section, but it's the most active section, so I thought I'd give it a go. And who knows, maybe it has to do with my GPU?

I get this really high-pitched (very annoying for the ears) whenever I move my mouse around.

Some things I've established so far:

-The problem disappeared when I resinstalled Windows 7 a few days ago. So I initially thought it must have been a software problem or something. But now it's back again.

-When I'm on stock clocks (cpu and gpu) it's much less pronounced compared to overclocked speeds.

-My performance and benchmarks scores are perfectly fine, both on overclock and stock speeds.

-When I open "EasyTune 6", and move the mouse around while having it open, the squeaking sound is 2-3 times louder and more aggressive. What could this mean?

Should I try to get a replaced PSU? ANY input will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: My specs:

PSU: Corsair TX650 650W
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 OC
Board: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H Wifi (not using the wifi)
Ram: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 435 (Unique: 327)
I've had this on several machines.... I saw an explanation for it once but I can't remember it. Its mildly irritating but not an indication of something going bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrulz go_quote.gif

Quick question though, how is having steel armor in skyrim like having an ipad in world war 2? If the U.S stormed normandy with ipads i'm pretty sure we would all be speaking german about now.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Oh okay ...

Well it's weird because it wasn't there when my PC was new. I mean it's still new, like a few weeks. But when it was brand new the squeaking noise didn't exist.

But yeah it would make sense that it's not a problem other than being really annoying (without headphones on). Because my benchmarks scores are perfectly fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 435 (Unique: 327)
Actually, mine still does it right now I just have to lean in real close to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrulz go_quote.gif

Quick question though, how is having steel armor in skyrim like having an ipad in world war 2? If the U.S stormed normandy with ipads i'm pretty sure we would all be speaking german about now.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Alright. Well that actually makes me feel better, haha =D

I just noticed something, now that I've been running my CPU on stock speed for a while, the squeaking is almost non-existant. I'd bet it'll come back if I overclock my CPU. Hmm....

edit: actually never mind. it's still there, lol.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 46)
Is it just some form of coil whine? ..Likely the mobo (if overclocks change the intensity) or GPU.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 104)
It has something to do with coil whine, my old dell laptop used to do it. Annoying as hell!! tongue.gif
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
It's most likely the integrated sound card picking up interference form the IO bus. The sound can vary depending on system load as the supplied power gets dirtier the closer to the max power the system is.
Quote:
-When I open "EasyTune 6", and move the mouse around while having it open, the squeaking sound is 2-3 times louder and more aggressive. What could this mean?

I have not explanation for this though. Unless EasyTune 6 changes system clock speeds / voltage when opened.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

It's most likely the integrated sound card picking up interference form the IO bus. The sound can vary depending on system load as the supplied power gets dirtier the closer to the max power the system is.

I have not explanation for this though. Unless EasyTune 6 changes system clock speeds / voltage when opened.

IO bus?

Also, I remember not plugging in (and still haven't) a plug called "SPDIF". I know SPDIF has something to do with sound, just not sure what. But yeah, it's not plugged into the motherboard, because I couldn't find it first time building my PC. I know where it is now, but I've forgotten to plug it in. Could that be the reason?

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post

IO bus?
Also, I remember not plugging in (and still haven't) a plug called "SPDIF". I know SPDIF has something to do with sound, just not sure what. But yeah, it's not plugged into the motherboard, because I couldn't find it first time building my PC. I know where it is now, but I've forgotten to plug it in. Could that be the reason?

SPDIF is just another way of transferring audio. Its digital instead of the analog 3.5mm jacks.

This is a old picture and some things have changed but you get the idea. Like the USB ports the integrated sound card is also connected to the I/O bus.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in