BSOD "clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval" - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

BSOD "clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Twitch Streamer

Rep: 104 (Unique: 79)
What does this mean? Im not sure where to post this, is this a graphics card OC problem? or is this a CPU problem ?

I just dont know what it means by "secondary processor" because i have two cards? SLI? or... CPU... actually sounds more like a GPU thing?

I was actually just finishing off playing battlefield 3 and i was on google chrome searching around on the forums and then suddenly i got this BSOD. MSI Afterburner was on, my overclock still enabled from my last game since i was going to play another round but a different map.

My current settings on MSI Afterburner when overclocking are: 1.124v/1024mhz core clock/2118 memory clock, i have two H60 cooled MSI 560ti Twin Frozr II's using dwood brackets, aftermarket copper heatsinks on the memory modules and the MSI (stock) aluminum heatsink on the VRM's. I have fans pointed right on the VRM's and the memory modules. I run heaven benchmark and 3D Mark11 and they come out stable, no problems. I have no issues in game, or anywhere else; just popped out of nowhere. This is a new OC though, ive been running at 1.1v/1000/2100 but i just recently bumped it up like last week. My temps are 60C max on load, (peak at 60C), they idle at 35C sometimes as low as 28C on good days. Graphs look stable, everything feels stable?

Is there any harm for running my card at these clock speeds/volts? Im well under Nvidia's specific heat max and all benchmarks i run are stable? Should i lower my overclock? What does this mean? I run stock settings and only start up MSI afterburner when i play games. So usually my cards are at 23-28C idle most of the time.... I am using driver version 313.95 with 2.3.1 MSI afterburner. 313.95 is actually the first nvidia driver ive had very minimal (huge difference from all the past drivers) that has worked for me when playing battlefield 3. Life has been going pretty good now that my driver problems on BF3 are gone (seriously used to have a headache so much) and now i have this BSOD so im worried if its an OC problem? a driver problem? a random spontaneous problem?

i7-3930k 4.5GHz | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | 1440p 144hz IPS | Cooled by EKWB

PU:BG & Twitch - FarmerMeoow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 262 (Unique: 224)
This is generally a CPU issue. Back off your CPU overclock if it's OC'd. If this become a regular occurance at stock clocks then you likely have a bad CPU.

Try running Prime95, Small FFTs stress test. This'll usually force this BSOD pretty quickly if you have a failing CPU.

Occasionally this BSOD is a bad motherboard and even more rarely (at least in my experience) a corrupted windows install.

This is very much a CPU related error in my experience.

Term of Service: If I can google your question and get a correct answer in the first 5 links, on my first try; I reserve the right to link you through Let MeGoogleThatForYou.com with the number for the correct answer.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Twitch Streamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRLurself View Post

This is generally a CPU issue. Back off your CPU overclock if it's OC'd. If this become a regular occurance at stock clocks then you likely have a bad CPU.

Try running Prime95, Small FFTs stress test. This'll usually force this BSOD pretty quickly if you have a failing CPU.

Occasionally this BSOD is a bad motherboard and even more rarely (at least in my experience) a corrupted windows install.

This is very much a CPU related error in my experience.

My CPU has been at 4.8 ghz for a long time, its been through prime95 24 hours. Ive probably had it at 4.8ghz 52C load for a year. I dont think its my CPU? I mean i havent really messed with my CPU in such a long time; its all been just GPU overclocks lately... Are you almost positive its a CPU issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

I worked Geek Squad for several years. Whenever I saw this issue it was almost always a CPU issue. Components degrade slowly over time, this is accelerated by overclocking. Overclocks will become unstable over time and either need to be backed off, or require more voltage.

Of the times I saw this:
1) One dual CPU Intel Skulltrail build: Each CPU would work perfectly on the board individually, but with both installed it would x101. Bad motherboard.
2) Numerous desktop machines would x101 pretty reliably at stock settings when you ran Prime95 (usually Small FFT, but occasionally it would only do it under Large FFT stress test; which means Blend testing would get both eventually). All were a bad CPU (probably 15 or so in the years I worked there).
3) One desktop would only x101 under VERY specific conditions, but NOT under Prime95. Reinstalled the OS, all new drivers and it worked.

It's conceivable it could be a graphics card issue, but odds are it's something with your CPU.

Term of Service: If I can google your question and get a correct answer in the first 5 links, on my first try; I reserve the right to link you through Let MeGoogleThatForYou.com with the number for the correct answer.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 333 (Unique: 228)
Raise vcore or lower Oc and see what happens and blend with 95% of memory.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Twitch Streamer

Quote:

I worked Geek Squad for several years. Whenever I saw this issue it was almost always a CPU issue. Components degrade slowly over time, this is accelerated by overclocking. Overclocks will become unstable over time and either need to be backed off, or require more voltage.

Of the times I saw this:
1) One dual CPU Intel Skulltrail build: Each CPU would work perfectly on the board individually, but with both installed it would x101. Bad motherboard.
2) Numerous desktop machines would x101 pretty reliably at stock settings when you ran Prime95 (usually Small FFT, but occasionally it would only do it under Large FFT stress test; which means Blend testing would get both eventually). All were a bad CPU (probably 15 or so in the years I worked there).
3) One desktop would only x101 under VERY specific conditions, but NOT under Prime95. Reinstalled the OS, all new drivers and it worked.

It's conceivable it could be a graphics card issue, but odds are it's something with your CPU.

Damn. I had no idea. It said between two "processors" so i guess i assumed it meant GPU's cause wouldnt that technically mean two gpu's ? like miscommunicating with each other or something cause i have a 313.95 beta driver? and i just thought it would of said like "cores" or something for CPU. idk.

Okay now thats out of the way, is there a way i could check the stability or the "integrity" of the CPU? I would have no problem with lowering my overclock, in fact i just recently dropped my vcore from 1.39 down to i think its like 1.37 something... could that be it? i was reading around and i guess for a i5-2500k as long as im under 1.5v max, 1.4 optimally,.... or is it alright to stay around 1.4? My main question here is, does CPU degradation still occur under overclocked condition, even if the thermal conditions are met? My CPU is well under 60 on load, and most i5-2500k's with stock fans operate at 70 ish right? on load? Does the increased voltage have any effect on CPU degradation even if its technically colder than what its supposed to be run at?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 333 (Unique: 228)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

Damn. I had no idea. It said between two "processors" so i guess i assumed it meant GPU's cause wouldnt that technically mean two gpu's ? like miscommunicating with each other or something cause i have a 313.95 beta driver? and i just thought it would of said like "cores" or something for CPU. idk.

Okay now thats out of the way, is there a way i could check the stability or the "integrity" of the CPU? I would have no problem with lowering my overclock, in fact i just recently dropped my vcore from 1.39 down to i think its like 1.37 something... could that be it? i was reading around and i guess for a i5-2500k as long as im under 1.5v max, 1.4 optimally,.... or is it alright to stay around 1.4? My main question here is, does CPU degradation still occur under overclocked condition, even if the thermal conditions are met? My CPU is well under 60 on load, and most i5-2500k's with stock fans operate at 70 ish right? on load? Does the increased voltage have any effect on CPU degradation even if its technically colder than what its supposed to be run at?

Raise it back up /thread.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

Increasing any settings over stock will increase the rate of degredation. Running at higher temps simply increases this rate further; 60C is well away from the limit, so this isn't a big factor - OCing something will always be a factor for degradation though. Overclocking at it's very core is trading the life-span of something, for more performance now. Even a CPU at stock will degrade over time, it just happens faster when you overclock.

You're computer sees each core as a separate processor; if you have dual 8-cores in your computer, it would simply see 16 processors to use - not how they're delineated physically.

Put the VCORE back and see if that stops it. Unstable OCs can cause this error. If you still get the error with the VCORE back at 1.39, drop your OC a multiplier and see if that does it. My old 2600k would hit 4.9GHz out of the box, a month later I had to back it down to 4.8 and six months later I had to drop it to 4.7 where it was then stable for about a year when I got rid of it - all requiring the same voltage for stability. It's just a fact of life overclocking.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Twitch Streamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_chemist21 View Post

Raise it back up /thread.

Cool, will do. Thank you. +Repped smile.gif

Quote:

Increasing any settings over stock will increase the rate of degredation. Running at higher temps simply increases this rate further; 60C is well away from the limit, so this isn't a big factor - OCing something will always be a factor for degradation though. Overclocking at it's very core is trading the life-span of something, for more performance now. Even a CPU at stock will degrade over time, it just happens faster when you overclock.

You're computer sees each core as a separate processor; if you have dual 8-cores in your computer, it would simply see 16 processors to use - not how they're delineated physically.

Put the VCORE back and see if that stops it. Unstable OCs can cause this error. If you still get the error with the VCORE back at 1.39, drop your OC a multiplier and see if that does it. My old 2600k would hit 4.9GHz out of the box, a month later I had to back it down to 4.8 and six months later I had to drop it to 4.7 where it was then stable for about a year when I got rid of it - all requiring the same voltage for stability. It's just a fact of life overclocking.

Thank you for the detailed response, i appreciate it very much! +Repped smile.gif

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey man, I have got the same issue. 50C max load cpu and 75C max GPU. Ill be just doing random stuff for a while and then it will crash. and show that error on screen. NOT OVERCOLOCKD Specs

fx 4300
8GB ram 2x4
ASUS MB
450Watt coolermaster psu
hd 5870 1gb
120gb ssd
1tb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in