[Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club - Page 2497 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club

post #24961 of 24972 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:04 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by kithylin View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Currency Lad View Post
Thanks for your response.

I know that BIOS editing tools for the Kepler series have been around since the release of GTX 780 but these weren't without their own problems.

The skyn3t BIOSes have been available since the start of this thread and successfully used by many users. They edit at a deeper level than Kepler BIOS Tweaker can achieve. Specifically, they disable GPU Boost 2.0 and allow a higher power target, enabling higher stable overclocks. You would need to research the earliest posts in this now 2500 page thread (particularly skyn3t's and OccamRazor's posts) for details.

I myself successfully used skyn3t's BIOS for my own water-cooled GTX 780 cards back in the day (running GTX 1080Ti now).

This request obviously wasn't for myself but for a nephew who has a pair of EVGA reference cards in SLI that he wants to get more out of.

Having said all that, I welcome your offer and will happily post his GPU BIOS when I find the time to work on them.
I did not know any of this. I was under the impression we can easily disable the power limits in kepler bios editor by just setting some high amount the card will never be able to reach (no matter how far you overclock it) like 600 watts, and then just flash it. Also, you never want to completely disable boost. You generally want to just raise the boost clock higher. But, I've had problems with my EVGA classified GTX 780 not applying the voltage I specify in kepler bios tuner so maybe the program doesn't tune everything it's supposed to. It does seem to at least disable power limits though.
No worries.

GPU Boost 3.0 (and presumably the new GPU Boost 4.0 for the 20 series) works much better than GPU Boost 2.0 under Kepler. It's been a while since I had my 780s so perhaps GPU Boost 2.0 works better with the latest drivers - I don't know.

But back in the day, GPU Boost 2.0 was an absolute pain to get a high stable overclock with - that's why there was an advantage to disabling it. Skyn3t's BIOSes (they were tailored for each card) allowed you to run at your highest stable overclock all the time provided you had the headroom. I forgot to mention they also unlocked the voltage to a maximum 1.212V (up from nVIdia's default 1.168V). Unfortunately, Kepler was the last generation that could be successfully edited at the low level that skyn3t did it.

If I recall correctly, I was able to get a stable overclock of 1350MHz on the core and 7200MHz on the memory with my cards using skyn3t's BIOS. Other people couldn't achieve better than say 1200MHz on the core and 6500MHz on the memory, so your mileage may vary. The silicone lottery still applies.

I recall people posting similar problems with Kepler BIOS Tweaker not applying the set voltages correctly as you mentioned and also recall problems with the power tables. You might want to research some of the earliest posts in this thread for information (just do a search for KBT within the thread).

If you're interested, all the info and links to skyn3t's BIOSes are on the first page of this thread. Just proceed with caution and use common sense. Backup your own BIOS first in case something goes wrong (use NVFlash - GPUZ doesn't always backup correctly). Then you can always reflash back provided you have access to another GPU (any one will do) and a 2nd PCIE slot on your motherboard.

Don't do the LLC mod (it was discovered later to cause instability) and don't up the voltage beyond 1.3V unless you have extreme cooling, especially on the VRMs. On air you don't want to go above 1.212V.

Be sure to read OccamRazor's guide on the first page and also check out some of his posts. He was super super helpful to many users back in the day.

Have a good one!

Last edited by Currency Lad; 09-20-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24962 of 24972 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 77 (Unique: 58)
No worries.

GPU Boost 3.0 (and presumably the new GPU Boost 4.0 for the 20 series) works much better than GPU Boost 2.0 under Kepler. It's been a while since I had my 780s so perhaps GPU Boost 2.0 works better with the latest drivers - I don't know.

But back in the day, GPU Boost 2.0 was an absolute pain to get a high stable overclock with - that's why there was an advantage to disabling it. Skyn3t's BIOSes (they were tailored for each card) allowed you to run at your highest stable overclock all the time provided you had the headroom. I forgot to mention they also unlocked the voltage to a maximum 1.212V (up from nVIdia's default 1.168V). Unfortunately, Kepler was the last generation that could be successfully edited at the low level that skyn3t did it.

If I recall correctly, I was able to get a stable overclock of 1350MHz on the core and 7200MHz on the memory with my cards using skyn3t's BIOS. Other people couldn't achieve better than say 1200MHz on the core and 6500MHz on the memory, so your mileage may vary. The silicone lottery still applies.

I recall people posting similar problems with Kepler BIOS Tweaker not applying the set voltages correctly as you mentioned and also recall problems with the power tables. You might want to research some of the earliest posts in this thread for information (just do a search for KBT within the thread).

If you're interested, all the info and links to skyn3t's BIOSes are on the first page of this thread. Just proceed with caution and use common sense. Backup your own BIOS first in case something goes wrong (use NVFlash - GPUZ doesn't always backup correctly). Then you can always reflash back provided you have access to another GPU (any one will do) and a 2nd PCIE slot on your motherboard.

Don't do the LLC mod (it was discovered later to cause instability) and don't up the voltage beyond 1.3V unless you have extreme cooling, especially on the VRMs. On air you don't want to go above 1.212V.

Be sure to read OccamRazor's guide on the first page and also check out some of his posts. He was super super helpful to many users back in the day.

Have a good one!
Thanks for the info. My GTX 780 in my "Retro Computer" today is the EVGA GTX 780 Classified version and is supposed to be one of 3 cards in the 780 line (the others being MSI Lightning and The K|NGP|N) that are supposed to allow unlimited voltage control well beyond 1.212v. And in fact in the beginning I had mine running at 1.287v under a custom bios I tuned myself with Kepler Bios Tweaker just fine. I don't know exactly what happened but then later in the same computer I saw it was only running 1.208v suddenly. And now I can't get it to go any higher than 1.208v no matter what I do. If I had an EEVBOT I could probably push it further but sadly they're Unobtanium. I'm still leery about using any other bios and I currently have the card stable @ 1267 Mhz even with 1.208v max, so I'm happy enough with it as is. And that's with full boost table enabled with multiple steps and letting the card boost up/down all over the place as it needs to, which also leads to nice power consumption. I got lucky and got a card with 84% ASIC Quality used off ebay. And it's air cooled with the (admittedly huge) factory air cooler from EVGA and perfectly fine. Maxes out 75c in gaming, 84c in benchmarks, but that might be the crappy small case I have it in and might be improved in a bigger case later. My only complaint is back when I had the voltage successfully running at 1.287v with my kepler-bios-tweaker-tuned-stock-bios on it, it would run 7804 Mhz ram perfectly stable all day, I have benchmark results from it running that ram clock and everything. But now down at 1.208v I had to drop it down to 7220 Mhz ram speed for stability. I'm still not sure what exactly happened there. Maybe the card's degrading, but I doubt that. EVGA Classified cards are designed to run high OC 24-7 for years.
post #24963 of 24972 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:48 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Thanks for the info. My GTX 780 in my "Retro Computer" today is the EVGA GTX 780 Classified version and is supposed to be one of 3 cards in the 780 line (the others being MSI Lightning and The K|NGP|N) that are supposed to allow unlimited voltage control well beyond 1.212v. And in fact in the beginning I had mine running at 1.287v under a custom bios I tuned myself with Kepler Bios Tweaker just fine. I don't know exactly what happened but then later in the same computer I saw it was only running 1.208v suddenly. And now I can't get it to go any higher than 1.208v no matter what I do. If I had an EEVBOT I could probably push it further but sadly they're Unobtanium. I'm still leery about using any other bios and I currently have the card stable @ 1267 Mhz even with 1.208v max, so I'm happy enough with it as is. And that's with full boost table enabled with multiple steps and letting the card boost up/down all over the place as it needs to, which also leads to nice power consumption. I got lucky and got a card with 84% ASIC Quality used off ebay. And it's air cooled with the (admittedly huge) factory air cooler from EVGA and perfectly fine. Maxes out 75c in gaming, 84c in benchmarks, but that might be the crappy small case I have it in and might be improved in a bigger case later. My only complaint is back when I had the voltage successfully running at 1.287v with my kepler-bios-tweaker-tuned-stock-bios on it, it would run 7804 Mhz ram perfectly stable all day, I have benchmark results from it running that ram clock and everything. But now down at 1.208v I had to drop it down to 7220 Mhz ram speed for stability. I'm still not sure what exactly happened there. Maybe the card's degrading, but I doubt that. EVGA Classified cards are designed to run high OC 24-7 for years.
Fair enough. That's certainly a nice card you have. Not sure if skyn3t ever made a BIOS specifically for the Classy (he did for the Galaxy HOF) but in any case, given your possible degradation issues, it probably wouldn't be wise anyway.

Sorry to hear about your possible degradation. Not knowledgeable enough to be able to pinpoint the cause for sure. I do know that on air the VRMs will run 20-30 degrees Celsius hotter than your core even under the best of circumstances. If you're running it in a small case starved of airflow and hitting 84 degrees Celsius on the core during benchmarks, then the VRMs may have been getting stressed.

It probably wouldn't hurt to put it in a case with better airflow for the long-term health of the card.

Still, 7220MHz is still a pretty nice overclock for the memory. Not sure that any higher would be that much noticeable in games.

Were you able to hit higher than 1267MHz on the core when you had the voltage at 1.287V? Remember, my cards were on water with the VRMs additionally cooled by the block and also the water was chilled, which is the only reason I was able to hit 1350MHz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24964 of 24972 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:52 AM
Like a fox!

Fair enough. That's certainly a nice card you have. Not sure if skyn3t ever made a BIOS specifically for the Classy (he did for the Galaxy HOF) but in any case, given your possible degradation issues, it probably wouldn't be wise anyway.

Sorry to hear about your possible degradation. Not knowledgeable enough to be able to pinpoint the cause for sure. I do know that on air the VRMs will run 20-30 degrees Celsius hotter than your core even under the best of circumstances. If you're running it in a small case starved of airflow and hitting 84 degrees Celsius on the core during benchmarks, then the VRMs may have been getting stressed.

It probably wouldn't hurt to put it in a case with better airflow for the long-term health of the card.

Still, 7220MHz is still a pretty nice overclock for the memory. Not sure that any higher would be that much noticeable in games.

Were you able to hit higher than 1267MHz on the core when you had the voltage at 1.287V? Remember, my cards were on water with the VRMs additionally cooled by the block and also the water was chilled, which is the only reason I was able to hit 1350MHz.
Well I have a water loop in the system that could handle that card and I have a credit card. I would -LOVE- to get a block for that card but can't find one anywhere today. And yeah I know about the vrm heating. I forgot to mention that I do have the EVGA Classified Voltage tool stand-alone utility and I can manually set it to 1.287v again, click apply and it will run 1.287v just fine and even run the higher ram clock I had before perfectly fine, stable, no crashing and just hunky dory all day. So there's nothing wrong with the card physically, I even gamed on it in ark evolved with the card @ 100% load for about 8 hours straight last week @ 1.287v and ram back up (via afterburner) at 7804 Mhz again. It didn't give any issues at all. It just.. won't apply via bios and I don't understand it. I must be doing something wrong.
post #24965 of 24972 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:15 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Well I have a water loop in the system that could handle that card and I have a credit card. I would -LOVE- to get a block for that card but can't find one anywhere today. And yeah I know about the vrm heating. I forgot to mention that I do have the EVGA Classified Voltage tool stand-alone utility and I can manually set it to 1.287v again, click apply and it will run 1.287v just fine and even run the higher ram clock I had before perfectly fine, stable, no crashing and just hunky dory all day. So there's nothing wrong with the card physically, I even gamed on it in ark evolved with the card @ 100% load for about 8 hours straight last week @ 1.287v and ram back up (via afterburner) at 7804 Mhz again. It didn't give any issues at all. It just.. won't apply via bios and I don't understand it. I must be doing something wrong.
Well, I'm glad to hear there's nothing wrong with the card physically. Still, better airflow never hurts.

Yeah, I think your chances of finding a waterblock for the Classy today are pretty slim. Maybe post a request in the wanted section of OCN and other forums.

I do vaguely recall Classy owners posting that they had to run the voltage tool to get the voltages to hold. But you'd need the patience to search through this thread to find those posts.

There is a dedicated thread for the Classy (and Kingpin) here on OCN which you probably already know about:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1411500-official-evga-classified-k-ngp-n-owner-s-club.html

They appear to have moved on to the newer generations of cards, but maybe one of the older members can help you.

Good luck!
post #24966 of 24972 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:17 AM
Like a fox!

Well, I'm glad to hear there's nothing wrong with the card physically. Still, better airflow never hurts.

Yeah, I think your chances of finding a waterblock for the Classy today are pretty slim. Maybe post a request in the wanted section of OCN and other forums.

I do vaguely recall Classy owners posting that they had to run the voltage tool to get the voltages to hold. But you'd need the patience to search through this thread to find those posts.

There is a dedicated thread for the Classy (and Kingpin) here on OCN which you probably already know about:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-n...er-s-club.html

They appear to have moved on to the newer generations of cards, but maybe one of the older members can help you.

Good luck!
I did not know about that! I thought I'd have to post here. Thank you very much. I'll go check it out in the morning after sleeps.
post #24967 of 24972 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:24 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 778 (Unique: 446)
i'll just leave this here, if you have any EVGA 780 card:

https://www.evga.com/articles/01266/...eward-GTX-780/
Quote:
Win a chance to exchange your EVGA Geforce GTX 780 ACX graphics card with a new EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 iCX Technology graphics card. On this edition of EVGA's Rewind Reward, we take a look back at EVGA Active Cooling Xtreme cooling solution for the EVGA 700 series.

GL!

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #24969 of 24972 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 06:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
nv latest driver 416.34 gave my 780 sli some awfull issues - back to 411.7 we go....anyone else have issues?

project blackout
(17 items)
blood and jack
(12 items)
CPU
amd ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz
Motherboard
asus crosshair vi extreme
GPU
asus gtx 780 dcii oc 3gb
GPU
asus gtx 780 dcii oc 3gb
RAM
corsair dominator rog edition 3200mhz 16gb
Hard Drive
corsair neutron nx500 400gb pcie nvme ssd
Hard Drive
corsair neutron gtx 480gb sata ssd
Optical Drive
asus
Power Supply
antec tpq-1200 oc edition
Cooling
custom ek water
Case
corsair obsidian 800d
Operating System
win 10 pro
Monitor
lg 32" tv
Keyboard
asus rog mechanical
Mouse
asus rog
Mouse
asus rog
Audio
lg 5.1 surround
CPU
fx-9590
Motherboard
asus crosshair v formula
GPU
asus gtx 780 oc dcii
GPU
asus gtx 780 oc dcii
RAM
corsair dominator gt 1866 16gb
Hard Drive
corsair neutron gtx 480gb
Hard Drive
corsair neutron gtx 480gb
Optical Drive
asus dvd r/rw
Power Supply
antec 1200 tpq oc
Cooling
corsair h100
Case
corsair 800d obsidian
Operating System
windows 10 64-bit
Monitor
lg 32" tv
Keyboard
asus rog
Mouse
asus rog
Mouse
asus rog
Audio
surround 5.1
Other
cumfy couch
CPU
1950x
Motherboard
zenith extreme
RAM
g.skill
Hard Drive
various m.2 nvme and sata ssd's
Power Supply
antec tpq 1200 x2
Cooling
ek full board monoblock
Cooling
27x120 fans
Cooling
120x480x60 rads x2
Cooling
120x360x60 rad x1
Case
open bench
Operating System
win 7 pro / win 10 pro
Monitor
samsung curved 24"
▲ hide details ▲
post #24970 of 24972 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Like a fox!

Quote: Originally Posted by bbowseroctacore View Post
nv latest driver 416.34 gave my 780 sli some awfull issues - back to 411.7 we go....anyone else have issues?
People in the ARK: Survival Evolved community are reporting wide-spread BSOD's / Blue Screen crashes in ARK with 416.34, even on pascal / 1080 Ti cards, and not just limited to the new RTX cards. I'm on 411.7 with my 1080 Ti and have had no issues with ARK and my one friend I play with daily that has a new RTX 2080 Ti and uses 416.34 is getting random ark crashes and BSOD's too.

So apparently it's a bad driver for everyone stability wise. It effects newer cards too.

What are your problems you're experiencing with 416.34? Crashes? Blue screens?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in