[Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti Owner's Club - Page 1387 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti Owner's Club

post #13861 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 03:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccamRazor View Post

Just look under my SIG: OCCAMRAZOR ADVANCED GK110 OC GUIDE and click it! smile.gif
You have a problem there with your card: Remove the OC software (AB and PX) delete their install folders inside Program Files (x86), uninstall drivers, use DDU: Display Driver Uninstaller to clean all driver leftovers, reboot, re-install drivers and OC software: PrecisionX and enable K-boost to give you the extra stable voltage! Done!

I must say I had my doubts, but the driver cleaning and reinstalling seems to have stabilized things.
Just had a crash, and the temporary degradation problem I had earlier did not occur! thumb.gif Hoping it keeps up!

K-boost seems like a good thing to enable, however, I can't seem to enable it. Nothing happens when I click it.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to help!

edit: Man, screw this.. after rebooting, the clocks went to crap again. I was at 1500Mhz, now I can't run 1300Mhz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13862 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 05:51 PM
What is old is new

Rep: 631 (Unique: 322)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongomunken View Post

I must say I had my doubts, but the driver cleaning and reinstalling seems to have stabilized things.
Just had a crash, and the temporary degradation problem I had earlier did not occur! thumb.gif Hoping it keeps up!
K-boost seems like a good thing to enable, however, I can't seem to enable it. Nothing happens when I click it.

edit: Man, screw this.. after rebooting, the clocks went to crap again. I was at 1500Mhz, now I can't run 1300Mhz.

Not that buggy Precision 15 version, use the old one: http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/532-evga-precision-x-421/
I would be a little more conservative on the clocks if i were you... 1500mhz is a bit high don't you think? Average high 780Ti OCs are in the 1300mhz!
Set the voltage to 1,212V and increase the clocks every time a benchmark or a game loop is successful!

Cheers

Occamrazor
post #13863 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 153)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongomunken View Post

K-boost seems like a good thing to enable, however, I can't seem to enable it. Nothing happens when I click it. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Not that buggy Precision 15 version, use the old one: http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/532-evga-precision-x-421/
I would be a little more conservative on the clocks if i were you... 1500mhz is a bit high don't you think? Average high 780Ti OCs are in the 1300mhz!
Set the voltage to 1,212V and increase the clocks every time a benchmark or a game loop is successful!

Cheers

Occamrazor
As Ed said, use the old PX, it still works well.
Listen carefully to Ed, and follow what he says.
He knows what he's talking about!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13864 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Theres no harm sliding the power slider all the way to 200% right?

The guy I ordered my 780 Ti from had issues with getting his 780 Ti voltage to stick in PX so he used Afterburner. He has his boost clock set to 1137 but it often spikes into the 1350+ area in games and benches. Is this card a dud or is this because AB doesn't support the 780 ti properly?
post #13865 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 01:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Quote:

Cheers

Occamrazor

I use afterburner (for best OSD) + EVGA Voltage Tuner. I saved it from old PrecisionX, It's a standalone module smile.gif

PrecisionX 15 support Ti voltage but OSD isn't good as statistics server.

post #13866 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:08 AM

Holy crap guys, I don't want to bash all of the hard work on Skyn3t's behalf but if youre on a reference PCB youre better off sticking with the default vbios that came on the card. I flashed to the Skyn3t's revised SC ACX.rom as I was having stability issues at 1241 core / 1851 memory (+100 / +200) in Max Payne 3 with 3D Vision at 1440p, the additional voltage DID allow me to remain stable at 1254 core but no higher. The temps weren't an issue with that game. As far as stability goes, 1241 core on the default vbios is mostly stable in all other demanding games, and I'm talking Crysis 3, Metro LL, AC4: Black Flag etc. But I've since reflashed to the default vbios as I'm waiting for my Kraken G10's to arrrive (to be used in conjunction with Corsair H55's and the existing ACX mid-plate to address VRM cooling) and not wanting to put undue wear on my GPU's until then. I've revisited a few benchmarks to see what kind of temp difference and WOW I am really surprised.

Firestrike with Skyn3t SC ACX vbios:

1254 core / 1850 memory (yes 1281 core is stable IN FIRESTRIKE with this vbios but the highest I can reliably attain in games at 1.212v is 1254 core)

24,494 GPU

Temps:
GPU0: 73 C
GPU1: 66 C

Unigine Valley:

DX11
Ultra
3DVision
2560x1440
4xAA

Temps by end of bench:
GPU0: 87C
GPU1: 78C

Default SC vbios:

Firestrike

1241 core / 1850 memory

24,098 GPU

Temps:
GPU0: 66C (-7C)
GPU1: 62C (-4C)

Unigine Valley

Temps by end of bench:
GPU0: 74C (-13C)
GPU1: 66C (-12C)

Things were getting so out of hand with the Skyn3t vbios (primary was hitting 85C in AC4: Black Flag at 1440p - 3D Vision, removing the side-panel brought that down to about 80 C) that I felt the need to dial back the temp target from 95 to 75C, and even "linking" the temp and power target until I realized that doing so would reduce the power target to 80% with a temp target of 75C. The temps were still outrageous with the temp target reduced. This vbios is GREAT if youre under water, but even then, without the ability to increase the voltage over 1.212v on cards with reference PCB's, what's the point? I gotta hand it to the engineers and programmers at Nvidia and EVGA, they truly optimized the default vbios', at least as far as the SC ACX variant is concerned. Undoing their expertise feels like a fools errand.

To be clear, these temps were in an Air 540, second only to a test-bench in terms of airflow, with aftermarket fan's pushing significantly more CFM AND an aggressive, and I mean aggressive fan algorithm on the ACX coolers (40% RPM at 30C increasing linearly to 100% at 65C):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtlksj-Fdc

I will probably stick with the default vbios when I get my G10's going, as it stands I'm still seeing 75C-78C primary in very demanding games.

An old adage comes to mind: "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Edit:

If youre interested in the G10 AIO cooling solution, "Faceman" in the following thread has the most comprehensive mini-guide out there:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232654-kraken-g10-help/

Also check out the G10 forum here on OCN:

https://www.overclock.net/t/1487012/official-nzxt-kraken-g10-owners-club

For $180 (what I paid for SLI, including everything "Faceman" recommends, G55's on sale for $50 shipped through Newegg on ebay and I already have 120mm fans for push-pull. Expect to pay about $100 per card) this is an excellent option for those with VRM cooling mid-plate cards such as Asus DCUII, EVGA ACX and MSI Lightning as testing has actually shown a 10-20C reduction in VRM temps with the G10's 92mm fan blowing on these mid-plates, an improvement to be sure. Peak temps are typically 50-55C, down from 75-80C AND the heat is expelled from your case AND unlike GPU specific water-blocks, the G10 brackets are forward compatible with GTX 970, 980 and a host of AMD cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU6Kd2VwYag
post #13867 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneil99 View Post

Theres no harm sliding the power slider all the way to 200% right?

The guy I ordered my 780 Ti from had issues with getting his 780 Ti voltage to stick in PX so he used Afterburner. He has his boost clock set to 1137 but it often spikes into the 1350+ area in games and benches. Is this card a dud or is this because AB doesn't support the 780 ti properly?

If you want to unnecessarily cook your VRM's go ahead and keep Power Target at 200%. I saw NO correlation between performance and stability at 160% power target vs. 106% with my SC ACX on the Sky3t vbios, only about 5C higher temperatures and an increase, yes and increase, in artifacts in Unigine Valley. See post above.

Edit: Zero difference in Firestrike bench figures as well.
post #13868 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan78 View Post

If you want to unnecessarily cook your VRM's go ahead and keep Power Target at 200%. I saw NO correlation between performance and stability at 160% power target vs. 106% with my SC ACX on the Sky3t vbios, only about 5C higher temperatures and an increase, yes and increase, in artifacts in Unigine Valley. See post above.

Edit: Zero difference in Firestrike bench figures as well.
I was under the impression that the GPU will only take as much as it needs. Hence why go to 200% so it can take all it wants without throttling.
post #13869 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan78 View Post

Holy crap guys, I don't want to bash all of the hard work on Skyn3t's behalf but if youre on a reference PCB youre better off sticking with the default vbios that came on the card. I flashed to the Skyn3t's revised SC ACX.rom as I was having stability issues at 1241 core / 1851 memory (+100 / +200) in Max Payne 3 with 3D Vision at 1440p, the additional voltage DID allow me to remain stable at 1254 core but no higher. The temps weren't an issue with that game. As far as stability goes, 1241 core on the default vbios is mostly stable in all other demanding games, and I'm talking Crysis 3, Metro LL, AC4: Black Flag etc. But I've since reflashed to the default vbios as I'm waiting for my Kraken G10's to arrrive (to be used in conjunction with Corsair H55's and the existing ACX mid-plate to address VRM cooling) and not wanting to put undue wear on my GPU's until then. I've revisited a few benchmarks to see what kind of temp difference and WOW I am really surprised.

Firestrike with Skyn3t SC ACX vbios:

1254 core / 1850 memory (yes 1281 core is stable IN FIRESTRIKE with this vbios but the highest I can reliably attain in games at 1.212v is 1254 core)

24,494 GPU

Temps:
GPU0: 73 C
GPU1: 66 C

Unigine Valley:

DX11
Ultra
3DVision
2560x1440
4xAA

Temps by end of bench:
GPU0: 87C
GPU1: 78C

Default SC vbios:

Firestrike

1241 core / 1850 memory

24,098 GPU

Temps:
GPU0: 66C (-7C)
GPU1: 62C (-4C)

Unigine Valley

Temps by end of bench:
GPU0: 74C (-13C)
GPU1: 66C (-12C)

Things were getting so out of hand with the Skyn3t vbios (primary was hitting 85C in AC4: Black Flag at 1440p - 3D Vision, removing the side-panel brought that down to about 80 C) that I felt the need to dial back the temp target from 95 to 75C, and even "linking" the temp and power target until I realized that doing so would reduce the power target to 80% with a temp target of 75C. The temps were still outrageous with the temp target reduced. This vbios is GREAT if youre under water, but even then, without the ability to increase the voltage over 1.212v on cards with reference PCB's, what's the point? I gotta hand it to the engineers and programmers at Nvidia and EVGA, they truly optimized the default vbios', at least as far as the SC ACX variant is concerned. Undoing their expertise feels like a fools errand.

To be clear, these temps were in an Air 540, second only to a test-bench in terms of airflow, with aftermarket fan's pushing significantly more CFM AND an aggressive, and I mean aggressive fan algorithm on the ACX coolers (40% RPM at 30C increasing linearly to 100% at 65C):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtlksj-Fdc

I will probably stick with the default vbios when I get my G10's going, as it stands I'm still seeing 75C-78C primary in very demanding games.

An old adage comes to mind: "If it aint broke, don't fix it."
Did you make sure the fan curve was the same.
post #13870 of 16568 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:

I was under the impression that the GPU will only take as much as it needs. Hence why go to 200% so it can take all it wants without throttling.

I was under the same impression! No improvement in performance (Firestrike) but about 5C higher temps (Unigine Heaven) and artifacts! Now that I think about it, I believe the artifacts were a side-effect of the primary GPU sitting at 92 C in Heaven! Dialing back Power Target from 160% to 106% brought primary temp down to 87C and hence less artifacts. I hate to think about what kind of temps my VRM's were seeing with the core at 92C; I've heard anything higher than say 85-90C on the VRM spells the death knell for GK110. I'm glad it was for only about 10-15 minutes total while I played around with the Power Target settings and did runs with both the side-panel on and off; I imagine playing Skyrim with 100+ mods and an ENB for hours on end with similar temperatures would just about cook your card in a few months time.
Quote:

Did you make sure the fan curve was the same.

Absolutely. I added rather lengthy post-script edit to my post you quoted pertaining to the G10 AIO cooling solution. If youre running a card with a VRM cooling plate you'll probably want to have a look at the G10.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in