Disable Boost and "Bake-In" Max Game Stable Clocks for Maxwell - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Disable Boost and "Bake-In" Max Game Stable Clocks for Maxwell

post #41 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 201 (Unique: 170)
On your screenshot in the OP, what are the PSU rail 1 and rail 2.. are those power limits to PEGs?

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 85 (Unique: 79)
Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

On your screenshot in the OP, what are the PSU rail 1 and rail 2.. are those power limits to PEGs?
correct

Corsair Air 540
ASRock Z97 Pro4
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6 GHz
16 GB DDR3-1600 Crucial Memory @ 2133 MHz
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Corsair CX750M PSU

Check out my guide for BIOS modding Maxwell cards:
https://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell/0_30
post #43 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKOB View Post

Anyone here kind enough to adjust my BIOS or maybe uploading your own BIOS? G1 970,don't really trust myself doing this even with a guide, all i know about is the flashing part redface.gif

BIOS
I will if you tell me what clocks/voltage/power limit that you want.

Corsair Air 540
ASRock Z97 Pro4
Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6 GHz
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Corsair CX750M PSU

https://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell/0_30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 12:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 60)
I'm assuming since the 900 series graphics cards are so new that nobody really knows what the voltage limit are, where is that line drawn in the sand? Great thread BTW!
post #45 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 201 (Unique: 170)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny30bass View Post

correct

Thanks, also noticed your update for folding.. bare in mind it barely uses memory so increasing this won't give you more PPD, probably why it resorts to the lower power state.

Do you have a screenshot / explanation for all of the settings in the BIOS tool beyond the PEGs and PCIe slot?

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

post #46 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

Thanks, also noticed your update for folding.. bare in mind it barely uses memory so increasing this won't give you more PPD, probably why it resorts to the lower power state.

Do you have a screenshot / explanation for all of the settings in the BIOS tool beyond the PEGs and PCIe slot?
Yea I noticed that it didn't really make a difference when I increased the memory frequency while folding. I'm new to [email protected]
But as for screenshots and explanations, I already provided those in the first post. The only thing that I didn't explain is the internal clocks. I recommend looking at zoson's explanation in his thread https://www.overclock.net/t/1517316/extract-and-flash-gtx-970-and-980-firmware-nolimits-and-gamestable/960. Read post #970.

Corsair Air 540
ASRock Z97 Pro4
Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6 GHz
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Corsair CX750M PSU

post #47 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:

I will if you tell me what clocks/voltage/power limit that you want.

I am trying to get the best possible bios for my MSI gtx 970 (same as your card). I recently downloaded the updated bios (NV316MH.182) for the card, which solves the fan issues with the latest nvidia drivers (344.65), from this site: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184740.0 (You have to sign in to be able to see the download link for the bios at the bottom of the first post).

I would really appreciate it if you could apply all your changes and improvements to that bios to make it perform better.

My card is currently perfectly stable at 1582MHz core, +500 memory (which reads 4001MHz in afterburner sensor), and +87mV (afterburner reports 1.250mV, not sure if thats the limit of this bios or if its reporting it incorrectly, I'm hoping you know). You can set the voltage higher than that if you think that will make it achieve a higher clock. The way I found out the max stable 1582MHz core clock was by first finding the maximum stable clock at stock voltage (1.206mV for me) which was 1557MHz. Then what I did was increase the voltage slider to the max (+87mV) and that caused the core clock to become 1582MHz. I tested it several times to make sure it was stable (no artifacts either). If increasing the voltage produces higher core clocks then it would mean that if you set the voltage as high as you think it can go (or as high as you use it) then the core clock would increase even more (and will be stable, most likely, if I properly understand how that works. ,Also, I am using max power limit of 110%, but of course it reaches it several times while running benchmarks and games, so it throttles, reducing the voltage and clock. Make sure that whatever voltage you set, doesn't cause the power limit to be reached, ever. I don't want it to throttle.

My temperatures are very good, so don't worry about that. With my custom fan profile, it never goes above 63C.

Please make this bios for me, it would be awesome if I could use this card to its maximum potential. Thanks a lot!

In case you need more information, please let me know.

The main reason why I'm asking this is because I'm not very good at changing those delicate settings and I don't want to break anything. I know how to flash the bios though.
post #48 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgxjs View Post

I am trying to get the best possible bios for my MSI gtx 970 (same as your card). I recently downloaded the updated bios (NV316MH.182) for the card, which solves the fan issues with the latest nvidia drivers (344.65), from this site: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184740.0 (You have to sign in to be able to see the download link for the bios at the bottom of the first post).

I would really appreciate it if you could apply all your changes and improvements to that bios to make it perform better.

My card is currently perfectly stable at 1582MHz core, +500 memory (which reads 4001MHz in afterburner sensor), and +87mV (afterburner reports 1.250mV, not sure if thats the limit of this bios or if its reporting it incorrectly, I'm hoping you know). You can set the voltage higher than that if you think that will make it achieve a higher clock. The way I found out the max stable 1582MHz core clock was by first finding the maximum stable clock at stock voltage (1.206mV for me) which was 1557MHz. Then what I did was increase the voltage slider to the max (+87mV) and that caused the core clock to become 1582MHz. I tested it several times to make sure it was stable (no artifacts either). If increasing the voltage produces higher core clocks then it would mean that if you set the voltage as high as you think it can go (or as high as you use it) then the core clock would increase even more (and will be stable, most likely, if I properly understand how that works. ,Also, I am using max power limit of 110%, but of course it reaches it several times while running benchmarks and games, so it throttles, reducing the voltage and clock. Make sure that whatever voltage you set, doesn't cause the power limit to be reached, ever. I don't want it to throttle.

My temperatures are very good, so don't worry about that. With my custom fan profile, it never goes above 63C.

Please make this bios for me, it would be awesome if I could use this card to its maximum potential. Thanks a lot!

In case you need more information, please let me know.

The main reason why I'm asking this is because I'm not very good at changing those delicate settings and I don't want to break anything. I know how to flash the bios though.
If your getting throttling due to power limit in games, then 1582 MHz may not be stable because you weren't testing it at a constant clock frequency. I will make one for you that is a couple bins lower than 1582 MHz, and if that's stable then either you or me can increase it. Also, the MSI Gaming 4G has power limit issues. So anything over 1.250V will cause throttling unless you increase the PCIe power draw, which could be potentially dangerous.

Corsair Air 540
ASRock Z97 Pro4
Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6 GHz
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Corsair CX750M PSU

post #49 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:

If your getting throttling due to power limit in games, then 1582 MHz may not be stable because you weren't testing it at a constant clock frequency. I will make one for you that is a couple bins lower than 1582 MHz, and if that's stable then either you or me can increase it. Also, the MSI Gaming 4G has power limit issues. So anything over 1.250V will cause throttling unless you increase the PCIe power draw, which could be potentially dangerous.

Ok thanks. Also, it runs at 1582MHz most of the time. In valley extreme HD, it only reaches power limit a couple of times, in one of the middle scenes and during the last one.
post #50 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgxjs View Post

Ok thanks. Also, it runs at 1582MHz most of the time. In valley extreme HD, it only reaches power limit a couple of times, in one of the middle scenes and during the last one.
Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1icka9zn65bduot/godgxjs.rom
It uses the 182 bios as the base. I have it at 1557 MHz right now because I have all of the internal clocks set to that (GPC, XBAR, L2C, and SYS). It is at 1.250V, and it has an increased power limit. You may still hit a power limit in some extreme benchmarking tools with this bios, but you shouldn't hit a power limit in games. If this works fine for you, then let me know and I can increase the clocks to 1582 MHz.

Corsair Air 540
ASRock Z97 Pro4
Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6 GHz
1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Corsair CX750M PSU

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in