Disable Boost and "Bake-In" Max Game Stable Clocks for Maxwell - Page 70 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Disable Boost and "Bake-In" Max Game Stable Clocks for Maxwell

post #691 of 718 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Would disabling boost mean no downclock power saving when the card is idle? Because I really don't mind that feature when I'm not gaming. I think I just need to increase the voltage to 1.3v so I don't hit power limits when overclocking right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 718 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 267 (Unique: 141)
post #693 of 718 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAngel74 View Post

1.275-1.281v

Would adjusting the third slider (right column) under Voltage Table be all that's needed? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 718 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 267 (Unique: 141)
First three, then follow the guide. Clk63-clk74....if I remember correctly.
post #695 of 718 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

I'd really like to know how well "The Crew" handles with these BIOS mods. It's actually free on Uplay right now for those who don't already have it.

My target goal is Ultra settings, 1080p @60Hz but with Motion Blur OFF and 4x MSAA

I can't get anywhere near the results described in this thread frown.gif

post #696 of 718 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 60)
Hey, I just started to mess with the boost states - GPC, XBAR, L2C & SYS. I have some questions for those of you who have tried doing this yourselves.

My questions are:

1. Can these states affect the highest stable core clock speed?

2. If so, how? If you set lower boost states, can you raise the core clock higher? Or is it weird and awesome and the higher the boost states are set, the higher the possible core clockspeed? tongue.gif

3. Stemming from the questions above - does a higher offset on boost states equate to more potential for raising the core clock?

e.g. someone with a stable +200 on boost states is closer to an extra +13MHz on the core than someone with only +50 on boost states.

I am offsetting the original values by the same amount as some people have suggested, giving me an offset of +183.5 from the default BIOS. I tried higher values and setting them all to be the same, and this gave the best results in Firestrike Extreme -

I don't know how truly stable this is, but I see no issue so far. I'm going to stick with this BIOS for a while and see how stable it really is. The values seem crazy high to me, but if it works, it works! The high values are also making me think that there is more potential for the core clock on this card than what I've managed to get it to, which is why I asked the third question above ^.

Before this, I found my max stable core clock to be 1455MHz with all boost states at default except for GPC, which I changed to match the core clock (actually meant I downclocked the GPC).

My final question is should I try to raise the core clockspeed now that I have raised the boost states, or after lowering the boost states to below what they are in the default BIOS?

Or would I just be wasting time and electricity? redface.gif

I've been using this thread to 'bake in' my overclocks for maxwell GPUs for a few years now, this is an excellent resource! If anyone can share their advice I would be very grateful.

Intel Devil's Canyon Owners Club

"i can still turn the computer on, it just catches on fire when i do...", from this wonderful thread.
CPU
[email protected], 1.36v (4.5GHz uncore)
Motherboard
Maximus VII Impact
GPU
MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 2133 CL9
Hard Drive
2x 840 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba XG3 1TB (M.2 NVMe SSD)
Hard Drive
MX 500 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA G2 850 PSU
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo & VGA
Cooling
11x ML 120 PRO fans
Cooling
5x Gentle Typhoons 1850rpm intake, 1x GT 1450rpm exhaust
Cooling
PE-240; XT45 120; SR-2 360 multiport; XSPC RX 360; 2 x XSPC RX 480 rads
Cooling
Corsair Commander Pro
Cooling
Aquaero 6 LT; Splitty 9; Hubby7
Cooling
2 x Ek Xres 140 pump/res
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Operating System
windows 10
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless
Mouse
MX Master AMZ
Mousepad
XXL neoprene mousemat goodness
Audio
Sennheiser HD 650
Audio
Senheisser Game Zero SE
Audio
Bose companion 20
Audio
GSX 1000
Audio
SMSL M6
CPU
[email protected], 1.23v (4.5GHz uncore)
Motherboard
Maximus VII Impact
GPU
MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 2133 CL9
Hard Drive
2x 840 EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba XG3 1TB (M.2 NVMe SSD)
Power Supply
Corsair SF 450
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo & VGA
Cooling
2x Gentle Typhoons 1850rpm exhaust
Cooling
PE-240 radiator
Cooling
EK-DDC 3.2 PWM
Cooling
M1 NCASE reservoir
Case
NCASE M1
Operating System
windows 10
Monitor
Acer Predator XB270HU
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
XXL neoprene mousemat goodness
Audio
Sennheiser HD 650
Audio
Bose companion 20
▲ hide details ▲

post #697 of 718 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
1. I went through 10 pages of this thread but still couldn't find much info...Can someone please go over the GPC, XBAR, L2C, and SYS? I thought the graphics cards only had one "clock" but it seems like there's 4? Do they all get adjusted when you use PrecisionX or Afterburner? Does anyone have any comparisons testing all of them at full clockspeeds VS just one of them at full clockspeed?

2. I'm using the power tables from a 980 Ti Gigabyte G1 Gaming custom BIOS for 1.27x volts which allows up to 600w per card but I'm only using around 1.237v so I shouldn't need anywhere near 600w. Assuming I never hit power limits, will my card for some reason use more power if I keep the power tables at 600w compared to 300w or 400w?

EDIT:
I just tried the BIOS, everything works perfectly except the wrong voltage. Both cards consstantly use 1.243v but I triple checked everything in Maxwell BIOS Tweaker and everything is at 1.237v (including anything that was over 1.237v in the voltages tables from 35 to 74). In fact, there is not a single place in Maxwell BIOS Tweaker that even states "1.243v"...nowhere at all...

EDIT 2
I edited my BIOS again using the guide in the following thread: https://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell and everything seems to be working perfectly now although I have to use different voltages in Maxwell Tweaker. For eg. My desired voltage is 1.237v. - setting 1.2375v in Maxwell Tweaker makes my card run at 1.243v (too high). So I moved the voltage sliders in Maxwell Tweaker down one notch to 1.225v but that makes my card run at 1.230v (too low). I then found out that, if you use your keyboard instead of your mouse for the voltage sliders in Maxwell Tweaker, the voltages will actually change in smaller increments. Doing this I set the voltage sliders to 1.2313v and that makes my card run at my desired 1.237v - great! smile.gif

Just thought I'd share that in case people experience similar voltage correlation issues I did.

PC
(13 items)
CPU
i7-9700KF
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU
GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3600 MHz CL16 Sam B-die
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD VelociRaptor 1TB
Power Supply
Antec HCP-1200
Cooling
Swiftech H320 (push/pull)
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Monitor
3x Dell S2716DG
Audio
Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
▲ hide details ▲
post #698 of 718 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 135)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin5000 View Post

1. I went through 10 pages of this thread but still couldn't find much info...Can someone please go over the GPC, XBAR, L2C, and SYS? I thought the graphics cards only had one "clock" but it seems like there's 4? Do they all get adjusted when you use PrecisionX or Afterburner? Does anyone have any comparisons testing all of them at full clockspeeds VS just one of them at full clockspeed?

2. I'm using the power tables from a 980 Ti Gigabyte G1 Gaming custom BIOS for 1.27x volts which allows up to 600w per card but I'm only using around 1.237v so I shouldn't need anywhere near 600w. Assuming I never hit power limits, will my card for some reason use more power if I keep the power tables at 600w compared to 300w or 400w?

EDIT:
I just tried the BIOS, everything works perfectly except the wrong voltage. Both cards consstantly use 1.243v but I triple checked everything in Maxwell BIOS Tweaker and everything is at 1.237v (including anything that was over 1.237v in the voltages tables from 35 to 74). In fact, there is not a single place in Maxwell BIOS Tweaker that even states "1.243v"...nowhere at all...

EDIT 2
I edited my BIOS again using the guide in the following thread: https://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell and everything seems to be working perfectly now although I have to use different voltages in Maxwell Tweaker. For eg. My desired voltage is 1.237v. - setting 1.2375v in Maxwell Tweaker makes my card run at 1.243v (too high). So I moved the voltage sliders in Maxwell Tweaker down one notch to 1.225v but that makes my card run at 1.230v (too low). I then found out that, if you use your keyboard instead of your mouse for the voltage sliders in Maxwell Tweaker, the voltages will actually change in smaller increments. Doing this I set the voltage sliders to 1.2313v and that makes my card run at my desired 1.237v - great! smile.gif

Just thought I'd share that in case people experience similar voltage correlation issues I did.

GPC (command processors?), XBAR (internal chip bus), L2C (L2 cache), and SYS (system agent?) are all independent of the "core" clock and do not change with it. They are not tied to boost states as far as I am aware and they function like the uncore/CPU-NB in processors. You can get better performance by pushing those clocks higher.

HP-UX. I came, I saw, I was sad it would not run on my X86 box.
skull.gif [Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club skull.gif
post #699 of 718 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

I know Original maker of that "guide" Wont read it because it was posted nearly 3 years ago if im not mistaken, But I managed to to block boosting on my 750ti Thanks To You!. I worked with my bios forever because i needed it for FFXIII/FFXIII-2 Since that stupid pc port didnt boost my card and it was running on 800mhz, Now 1400 constant <3 Thank U man!
post #700 of 718 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
We know what line in the BIOS is responsible for clock vram for the state of P0 in gtx 1080/1070 ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in