Disable Boost and "Bake-In" Max Game Stable Clocks for Maxwell - Page 72 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Disable Boost and "Bake-In" Max Game Stable Clocks for Maxwell

post #711 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by cosmicdan View Post
I've followed the guide to the letter, very nice performance now. But the clocks do NOT go down at all, ever. I tried changing Power management to Adaptive and Optimal, but it's still locked at the maximum clock.

I see in Task Manager that "Client Server Runtime Process" is constantly using 0.1% of GPU. Is this the cause? Does this BIOS mod mean that as soon as anything requests 3D rendering, it will just ramp up to max clock immediately, regardless of the GPU load? How can I solve this, or is it not really possible under Windows 10 since large parts of the OS itself is hardware accelerated?

I really don't like that my PC is consuming ~150w on idle now instead of the ~70w it was before, that's all. Well, the fact that voltage is constant and the GPU (970 GTX) never goes below 58 degrees C is pretty nasty, too.

You did actually open a bios ROM file, right? It can't edit the card as-is, you need to dump the BIOS first and open it. Until you do, it will just appear blank - like the screenshot you shared.
Which GPU do you have? The various 970s have different BIOS with different sliders in some places, the reference PCB cards have the same sliders as each other IIRC but the AIB cards can be quite different.
Stupid question but I had the same issue on my 980...have you tried restarting your PC? What about DDU and re-install the driver? When my clocks would hang after a flash one of those would always fix it. Well, after I got the BIOS fixed haha.
I almost wish I hadn't seen this, I really miss the BIOS mods.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #712 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Which GPU do you have? The various 970s have different BIOS with different sliders in some places, the reference PCB cards have the same sliders as each other IIRC but the AIB cards can be quite different.
Stupid question but I had the same issue on my 980...have you tried restarting your PC? What about DDU and re-install the driver? When my clocks would hang after a flash one of those would always fix it. Well, after I got the BIOS fixed haha.
I almost wish I hadn't seen this, I really miss the BIOS mods.
I have an MSI 970 GTX GAMING 4G, exact same as the OP. It has an updated BIOS direct from MSI.

Reinstalling drivers has never solved any problem for me in the past, I doubt that's the problem. The guide itself seems flawed; the OP claims that it will downclock when idle but we've modded it to be constant voltage and only have the one base clock entry. So I doubt anybody is actually getting idle downclocks at all.

EDIT: Thread search doesn't mention anybody with this problem though so I don't know... all I know is flashing back the stock BIOS instantly solves the problem.

Last edited by cosmicdan; 11-30-2018 at 08:12 PM.
post #713 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 06:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Seems like you have your mind made up.
If you don't like this guide we have a few others.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #714 of 718 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Seems like you have your mind made up.
If you don't like this guide we have a few others.
[Deleted old post]

Sorry, I made a derp. The BIOS mod is fine. I created a new Windows user account and it indeed DOES clock/volt down when idle. For some reason something running in my main user account is keeping it locked to the base TDP and never lowering.

Update: The main problem was the "Prefer maximum performance" suggestion in the OP, apologies for dismissing your driver suggestion. With this enabled, the clock will *never* go below the max clock anyway (the boost entry in the stock BIOS). What this means to me is that my newer BIOS is actually behaving correctly. I mean, it makes sense that a Max Performance setting actually locks to max performance, right?

Or maybe it was a driver bug/change when the "Optimal" setting was introduced - since this guide was written before that feature was added, I think.

So anyway, I set my card to Optimal now.

I also kept two clock entries on the first tab of the BIOS editor; I set TDP @ 405.5 (lowest clock available) and kept the second entry at my max clock (1455.5, which is the max clock already set in my card's boost table). I just have a weird issue now where Kombuster (in fullscreen) will peak at 108fps, then after it warms up it drops down to 85-90fps - with absolutely no PerfCap reason at all :\ it's only Kombuster though so I'll see how real-world performance goes. I still get a little over 4100 on Time Spy benchmarks and the clock never drops from 1455 when under load; my idle and desktop-use (e.g. typing this post) power usage for the whole PC is now down to 80-90w (from 140-160) so I'm happy with the power savings and no perceived performance loss so far.

Thanks!

Last edited by cosmicdan; 11-30-2018 at 11:26 PM. Reason: I derped
post #715 of 718 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

That's part of the reason I suggested reseting it. The power options won't change until you reset the PC.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #716 of 718 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 18)
Why values different?

Why are these values in your guide for P0 and P5 maxed out at 1600mv with 600mv min? My stock bios is different?

Mine says 825mv min values as opposed to 600mv.

Thanks

Save with EVGA. Associate code: K8XL098LGS5O4WZ
Z390 Master
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 FTW2 SLI
RAM
Gskill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 PRO
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
Custom water loop
Operating System
Windows 10 64
▲ hide details ▲
post #717 of 718 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 18)
So I was able to get 1506/4000 stable at 1.2 v as far as I can tell. Tested it with various 3D benchmarks then customized my rom to 'Bake-in' 1506 as the default TDP Boost clock entry. Unfortunately for some reason while gaming it Boosted down to 1341!

I couldn't understand why it would Boost down or throttle as I raised my TDP values in MBT but it was using clock state #61 instead of #74 which I had set to 1506. So I had to shift down the values in the Boost table and shift up the voltage table to match.

Now it will auto Boost to 1506 and throttle down normally but I kind of cheated here it feels like.

If anyone knows why please comment.

Thanks.

Edit: Heres my rom if anyone can look it over and make suggestions.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hpi01d2iiddc8ic/1506.zip

Thanks

Save with EVGA. Associate code: K8XL098LGS5O4WZ
Z390 Master
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 FTW2 SLI
RAM
Gskill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 PRO
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
Custom water loop
Operating System
Windows 10 64
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by davidm71; 01-26-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #718 of 718 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Going Red!

I just want to remove the 91 deg and 110% power limit but not unlock the voltage. How do i do that?

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero x470
GPU
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio
RAM
T-Force Nighthawk Legend RBG
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo Plus
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo Plus
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
Antec High Current Game Extreme
Cooling
Corsair H115i Platinum RGB
Case
Cooler Master H500M
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU IPS G-Sync
Keyboard
Logitech G512 Carbon Romer-G Tactile
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Audio
Logitech Z623 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in