[Youtube] EVGA GTX 980 Ti HYBRID Review (Updated) - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Youtube] EVGA GTX 980 Ti HYBRID Review (Updated)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #41 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
CapitanPelusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 156
Rep: 9
Finally was able to buy one from newegg. This has been the time were it has been the hardest to get hold of a piece of pc hardware for me.

CapitanPelusa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Sanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 60
Rep: 6
My card died frown.gif

I got a dxgkrnl.sys BSOD and it was saving the minidump. Once it's done, it's supposed to reboot, but it did not. When I rebooted the PC, the monitors had signal, but there was no picture.

Installing my 780Ti to confirm it's the card that is to blame and will contact EVGA RMA.

//Edit: looks to be something else - 780Ti has the same issue. Motherboard (ASUS Rampage IV BLACK edition) shows code 62, whatever that is. Off to do research

//Edit 2:


Ok, after 6 hours, the conclusion is that the motherboard derped and no hardware failure occurred. For some reason, my motherboard decided to reinstall iRog1 and iRog2 (whatever those are - tbh no idea). However, it appears DisplayPort gets activated at a later point, so all I was seeing was a black screen, but it was actually doing stuff in the background. Followed a suggestion from an older thread to connect a monitor to the DVI port instead and everything became clear. Just in case, also ran Memtest86 on the memory.

Additionally, I moved Hybrid's fan to the motherboard fan header, but I don't really have a way of controlling it at the moment (SpeedFan doesn't see a fan there). For now, I left it running in a Quiet profile (configured in BIOS).

That said, I did get dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel) BSOD that started all of this. There was no overclock at the time, so I guess I should just blame this on the NVidia drivers?
Sanek is offline  
post #43 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:02 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
PiERiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 611
Rep: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiERiT View Post

I had a reference card for a couple weeks and put on the cooler today. It is indeed very loud at idle... about as loud as my reference card was at load.

Assuming it is the radiator fan, I'd hook it up to a motherboard fan header and set it to 50%, but with the way I have it oriented, and how short the cable is, I can't do that. I need to track down a 3-pin extension.

I have the radiator fan running at 50% now and it's quieter, but the pump is still emitting a buzzing sound, similar to the Fury X complaints. That noise is more annoying than the fan was. frown.gif

Edit: After some research people have fixed this by undervolting the pump, but you need an adapter for that since the pump doesn't use a typical 3-pin, and that adapter is only available from a site in China. I'm starting to wish I had just done a Kraken G10 solution.

PiERiT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:35 PM
d[ o_0 ]b
 
Conspiracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Posts: 7,307
Rep: 276
still waiting for this to be in stock so i can upgrade. looks like i missed out by a few days apparently redface.gif guess im upgrading my PSU and replacing HDD with SSD in the meantime


Bronica ETRSi, 75/2.8, 135/4
Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 17-40/4L, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2L, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

flickr


Conspiracy is offline  
post #45 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
CapitanPelusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 156
Rep: 9
Just got my 980ti Hybrid. Its a beast.

But I'm having a problem with it. The Stock fan that cools the vrms is going to 100% asap the pc boots into windows. Ive tried uninstalling drivers a few times. When the drivers are uninstalled the fan goes to normal but as soon as I install a new driver it racks up to 100%, making it super loud.

Using Afterburner to control the fan has no use; the fan is stuck at 100% regardless of the speed I set and the tachometer reads 0.

Other than the stuck fan issue this the card is superb but im wondering how Im going to solve this.

EDIT: Was able to fix the problem by opening the case and reseating the GPU. Speed is back to normal, and tachometer works again.

EDIT2: Spoke too soon. After running some benchmarks with Shadow of Mordor I exited the game and when I hit the desktop the fan got stuck at 100% again and tach read 0. I shut down the pc, turned it back on and asap the win8 login screen showed up fan went into turbine mode. Shut down the pc and booted into my windows 7 clean install and the fan again went straight to 100%. Disconnected the power cord and waited 5 minutes and tried again > fan stuck at 100%. I had to open the case again and unseat > reseat the gpu for it to reset back to normal. Gonna try and see what is triggering this problem.

CapitanPelusa is online now  
post #46 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM
d[ o_0 ]b
 
Conspiracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
Posts: 7,307
Rep: 276
keep us posted. hope i dont have that problem if i ever get a chance to order one but if i do ill be referencing here biggrin.gif

hope you get it figured out thumb.gif


Bronica ETRSi, 75/2.8, 135/4
Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 17-40/4L, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2L, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

flickr


Conspiracy is offline  
post #47 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:46 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
CapitanPelusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 156
Rep: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanPelusa View Post

Just got my 980ti Hybrid. Its a beast.

But I'm having a problem with it. The Stock fan that cools the vrms is going to 100% asap the pc boots into windows. Ive tried uninstalling drivers a few times. When the drivers are uninstalled the fan goes to normal but as soon as I install a new driver it racks up to 100%, making it super loud.

Using Afterburner to control the fan has no use; the fan is stuck at 100% regardless of the speed I set and the tachometer reads 0.

Other than the stuck fan issue this the card is superb but im wondering how Im going to solve this.

EDIT: Was able to fix the problem by opening the case and reseating the GPU. Speed is back to normal, and tachometer works again.

EDIT2: Spoke too soon. After running some benchmarks with Shadow of Mordor I exited the game and when I hit the desktop the fan got stuck at 100% again and tach read 0. I shut down the pc, turned it back on and asap the win8 login screen showed up fan went into turbine mode. Shut down the pc and booted into my windows 7 clean install and the fan again went straight to 100%. Disconnected the power cord and waited 5 minutes and tried again > fan stuck at 100%. I had to open the case again and unseat > reseat the gpu for it to reset back to normal. Gonna try and see what is triggering this problem.

Ok so, after 6 driver wipes > reinstalls I was finally able to get the stock fan to behave normally.

Why it happened in the first place im not sure. Why it happened across different OS installs/version im also not sure. It still too early to tell but it seems to have gone away.

I gotta say this card is fast. Its boosting at 1500mhz flat at stock volts and never going above 57c. And thankfully now its super quiet.

EDIT: Son of a #@[email protected] 3 seconds after submit on this post the darn card's stock fan went up to 100% out of the blue. Here we go again...

CapitanPelusa is online now  
post #48 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
DimmyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 647
Rep: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanPelusa View Post

Ok so, after 6 driver wipes > reinstalls I was finally able to get the stock fan to behave normally.

Why it happened in the first place im not sure. Why it happened across different OS installs/version im also not sure. It still too early to tell but it seems to have gone away.

I gotta say this card is fast. Its boosting at 1500mhz flat at stock volts and never going above 57c. And thankfully now its super quiet.

EDIT: Son of a #@[email protected] 3 seconds after submit on this post the darn card's stock fan went up to 100% out of the blue. Here we go again...

What version of AB? I have Titan X Hybrid cooler and using AB 4.1.1 without problem. Any other 3rd party OC software you have installed, like Precision X? At this point I would do AB uninstall/reinstall, and then clean windows install.

DimmyK is offline  
post #49 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:04 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
CapitanPelusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 156
Rep: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimmyK View Post

What version of AB? I have Titan X Hybrid cooler and using AB 4.1.1 without problem. Any other 3rd party OC software you have installed, like Precision X? At this point I would do AB uninstall/reinstall, and then clean windows install.

AB 4.1.1

No other OC software.

Have uninstalled/reinstalled MSI AB a couple of times.

The problem happens on my clean windows 7 install, or at least, once the fan goes 100% on windows 8.1 x64 if I reboot to windows 7 x64 the fan is still stuck at 100% even on diff drivers.

Going to trry a clean windows 8.1 install and avoiding afterburner completely to see.

But it might be a faulty sensor? when the tachometer hits zero, either on gpuz or AB the fan goes 100% and it cant be controlled.

The problem persisted overnight after the pc was shutdown for over 7 hours with the power cord unplugged from psu.

CapitanPelusa is online now  
post #50 of 261 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
DimmyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 647
Rep: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanPelusa View Post

AB 4.1.1

No other OC software.

Have uninstalled/reinstalled MSI AB a couple of times.

The problem happens on my clean windows 7 install, or at least, once the fan goes 100% on windows 8.1 x64 if I reboot to windows 7 x64 the fan is still stuck at 100% even on diff drivers.

Going to trry a clean windows 8.1 install and avoiding afterburner completely to see.

But it might be a faulty sensor? when the tachometer hits zero, either on gpuz or AB the fan goes 100% and it cant be controlled.

The problem persisted overnight after the pc was shutdown for over 7 hours with the power cord unplugged from psu.

Good luck. I'd try to eliminate all variables: no dual boot, fresh win install, no AB or precision or any of 3rd party soft at first, see if this happens when card is completely at stock. Another thing comes to mind: see if there is an update to your motherboard bios. These new cards have UEFI vBioses AFAIK, sometimes motherboard bios update is required for them to function properly.

DimmyK is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off