Sudden drop in performance and increase in tempetarure gtx970 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Sudden drop in performance and increase in tempetarure gtx970

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey everybody, I have recently finished a custom pc build which has been running smooth until bout a few weeks ago when I started to notice a drop in framerate while gaming and an increase in GPU temperature. Initially I assumed the problem was due to dust buildup over time so I immediately opened my case and proceeded to clean all the dust out, yet even after doing so I saw no difference. I am at a loss, I am experiencing stuttering while playing games like skyrim and counter strike global offensive and have gone from a steady 299 fps in counter strike to low 200s even dipping to mid 100s for a second. CPU temps have remained steady which leads me to think this is due to an issue with the gtx970. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for reading. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 174 (Unique: 139)
What temperature on the graphics card? Is it throttling due to high temperature?

Check to see if the fans are actually spinning during use.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro2u View Post

What temperature on the graphics card? Is it throttling due to high temperature?

Check to see if the fans are actually spinning during use.

Atm it is running csgo at 55*c which isn't extremely hot but it was running at 40 previously. The fans apparently will not start until it hits 60 so I use msi afterburner to manually turn them on which usually brings the temp down to 35. I haven't witnessed any throttling of the card yet. Sent from my lg g2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

bump
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 173 (Unique: 156)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dra0i View Post

Atm it is running csgo at 55*c which isn't extremely hot but it was running at 40 previously. The fans apparently will not start until it hits 60 so I use msi afterburner to manually turn them on which usually brings the temp down to 35. I haven't witnessed any throttling of the card yet. Sent from my lg g2

I wouldn't touch the fan settings as the default ones are fine. Yes, the fans start kicking in when you reach 60C.

Use msi afterburner and monitor the gpu clock speed and gpu usage. See if it drops when your fps suddenly dips for one second.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in