[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Owner's Club - Page 1154 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Owner's Club

Old 01-30-2019, 11:39 PM
New to Overclock.net
PlugFour Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by PlugFour View Post
Why don't you simply set a custom fan curve under msi afterburner?
I don't use afterburner and the fan speed is -30% in the BIOS, AB can't do anything about it.
I seriously hate what they did do this arch. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
I have the same problem. I can't use it. The MSI F30 is power limited on my card, unusable as well. Will try the Strix again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
Hi everyone. I am thinking about moving from my 980 ti to a gtx 1080 card and if possible I would like to get the fastest(or rather one of the fastest) from the start for overclocking potential to close the gap between the 1080 and 1080 ti. The 1080 cards on average are going around 300-350$ on ebay and that seems like a pretty good price.

I was just curious if some of you could chime in on what 1080 card you have and what kind of max over clocks you have achieved.
I've mentioned the G1 and FTW already, Depending on where you live Palit and Galax also have similar GPUs.
If you can find a Windforce card it can be flashed to a G1 but the G1's are a higher bin.
Not sure what your budget is but:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/1477...ga-1080ti.html

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 01-31-2019, 03:44 AM
New to Overclock.net
combatfun Level 1

incredible how much mhz some guys can already achieve without a voltage increase. my palit superjetstream keeps 2063-2076/5505 @ 1,081/1,093. with that asus t4 mod bios i could achieve after days of testing, 2114-2126/5505 @ 1,31v. that's my 24/7 gaming setup, 100% stable, running @ ~+60-70°C [temp target +70°C, so fans go ~70-100%). can't hold 2150-2164 100% stable, not even with higher voltages. only good to pass benchmarks :/
but yeah, never recognized that i ran into power limits with my palit superjetstream default bios with oc in afterburner. if that was the case, with the t4 mod bios it isn't anymore ^^

Last edited by combatfun; 02-03-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 03:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
PlugFour Level 1

Actually, using my stock bios, stock cooler on my FE card, it runs rock stable at [email protected] without throttling. This is why tweaking the bios is just a hobby to me, I wanted to see the limits of the card.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Are you sure about that?
TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about

Just thought I’d ask a question since I just bought a 1080 SC from ebay to replace my aging 290X (haven’t received it yet though) but I hear about 99.9% of 1080’s will roughly hit 2GHz with little to no effort, is that true? Just curious because that’s about where my goal is as far as overclocking it will go.

"In Yorkfield, crossing the Ivy Bridge to get over Coffee Lake, while Ryzen to the challenge with my Broadwell."
Mars (My Rig)
(14 items)
Pluto
(15 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-5775C 4.4GHz (1.4v)
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-E/USB 3.1 (LGA 1150)
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 2.1GHz boost (sometimes) 2.08GHz most of the time.
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2 x 8GB (16GB) 2000MHz 10-12-10-29
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Efficiency
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42” HDTV (Temporary)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy (RGB Illuminated)
Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
CPU
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 4GHz
Motherboard
EVGA nForce 790i SLI Ultra (132-CK-NF79)
GPU
MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G Hybrid
RAM
Patriot Signature DDR3 2 x 4GB (8GB) 1333MHz CL9
Hard Drive
Kingston A400 2.5" SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5-Inch 512GB SATA III SSD
Power Supply
Thermaltake White 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case
A cardboard box, I'm serious its in a cardboard box, running at the moment.
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy RGB
Mouse
Logitec M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4
GPU
MSI R9 380 Core: 1110MHz, GDDR5: 1500MHz
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz CL16 2 x 8GB (16GB)
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Spire AM4 Cooler
Case
DEEPCOOL ATX Case Kendomen TI
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Standard Dell wired keyboard from the early 2000's
Mouse
Logitech Standard Wired Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM
meh
derx

Quote: Originally Posted by TwilightRavens View Post
Just thought I’d ask a question since I just bought a 1080 SC from ebay to replace my aging 290X (haven’t received it yet though) but I hear about 99.9% of 1080’s will roughly hit 2GHz with little to no effort, is that true? Just curious because that’s about where my goal is as far as overclocking it will go.
I think most of them hit between 2 and 2.1Ghz. If you're lucky your card hits 2.2Ghz.
I'm one of the lucky ones. Got my card to 2254 on the Asus T4 bios on water. Now I'm back to the Palit Jetstream Bios as it crashes in the game I play (iRacing) when I'm at 2.2Ghz, and the Palit has a bit better performance with lower clocks. It just can't hit the 1.2volts like the T4 bios does. As I went to the Palit bios today I've not yet tested it to the limit, but it does [email protected] stable. Memory I've kept at 5700 for now.

RaceRig
(10 items)
CPU
Intel 9700K @ 5.1GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU
Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming @ 2179MHz
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C15D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 500GB M.2 NVME
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W Platinum
Cooling
Custom EK Waterloop
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
3x Samsung 226BW, 1x Samsung 24"
▲ hide details ▲
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

My SC only runs 1990 100% stable. Sadly the cooler even at 100% fan speed will keep the core in the 70s under 100% load so the boost just trails off into 1960mhz where it stays.
I had better results with the Palit BIOS but since the fans for that card were much slower the BIOS prevented the fans from going to 100%, it was closer to 70% and it ran very hot like that. I don't know what the next best BIOS would be to try on a reference card though. I'd steal Jensen's jacket to enable custom BIOS again.

I miss OCing in the BIOS so much, my 980 couldn't OC very far (+40-60Mhz) with AB but after modding the stock BIOS it would run just under 1500mhz 100% stable.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 AM
Are you sure about that?
TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
My SC only runs 1990 100% stable. Sadly the cooler even at 100% fan speed will keep the core in the 70s under 100% load so the boost just trails off into 1960mhz where it stays.
I had better results with the Palit BIOS but since the fans for that card were much slower the BIOS prevented the fans from going to 100%, it was closer to 70% and it ran very hot like that. I don't know what the next best BIOS would be to try on a reference card though. I'd steal Jensen's jacket to enable custom BIOS again.

I miss OCing in the BIOS so much, my 980 couldn't OC very far (+40-60Mhz) with AB but after modding the stock BIOS it would run just under 1500mhz 100% stable.
I mean I am debating on throwing my Kraken G10 and Corsair H75 on there which is currently cooling my 290X, but if I do that it leaves the 290X without a cooler as I lost some of the parts to its stock cooler. Reason that is an issue is because I had planned on moving it to my 790i board with my Core 2 Extreme as it would be a heck of an upgrade form 660 SLI. I may try flashing a BIOS from a higher clocked model and see what happens, but I've always been skeptical of cross vendor flashes.

Edit: Do you think a Founders Edition bios would allow for a higher fan curve or would it be about the same? I would think it would allow for it to go higher but I could see Nvidia limiting it because blower coolers can get loud af ex: my Galaxy blower model 660 at 100% sounds a lot like a jet turbine.

"In Yorkfield, crossing the Ivy Bridge to get over Coffee Lake, while Ryzen to the challenge with my Broadwell."
Mars (My Rig)
(14 items)
Pluto
(15 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-5775C 4.4GHz (1.4v)
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-E/USB 3.1 (LGA 1150)
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 2.1GHz boost (sometimes) 2.08GHz most of the time.
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2 x 8GB (16GB) 2000MHz 10-12-10-29
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Efficiency
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42” HDTV (Temporary)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy (RGB Illuminated)
Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
CPU
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 4GHz
Motherboard
EVGA nForce 790i SLI Ultra (132-CK-NF79)
GPU
MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G Hybrid
RAM
Patriot Signature DDR3 2 x 4GB (8GB) 1333MHz CL9
Hard Drive
Kingston A400 2.5" SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5-Inch 512GB SATA III SSD
Power Supply
Thermaltake White 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case
A cardboard box, I'm serious its in a cardboard box, running at the moment.
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy RGB
Mouse
Logitec M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4
GPU
MSI R9 380 Core: 1110MHz, GDDR5: 1500MHz
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz CL16 2 x 8GB (16GB)
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Spire AM4 Cooler
Case
DEEPCOOL ATX Case Kendomen TI
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Standard Dell wired keyboard from the early 2000's
Mouse
Logitech Standard Wired Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by TwilightRavens; 02-11-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

I mean I am debating on throwing my Kraken G10 and Corsair H75 on there which is currently cooling my 290X, but if I do that it leaves the 290X without a cooler as I lost some of the parts to its stock cooler. Reason that is an issue is because I had planned on moving it to my 790i board with my Core 2 Extreme as it would be a heck of an upgrade form 660 SLI. I may try flashing a BIOS from a higher clocked model and see what happens, but I've always been skeptical of cross vendor flashes.

Edit: Do you think a Founders Edition bios would allow for a higher fan curve or would it be about the same? I would think it would allow for it to go higher but I could see Nvidia limiting it because blower coolers can get loud af ex: my Galaxy blower model 660 at 100% sounds a lot like a jet turbine.
Well the SC has a good default fan profile IMO, it's a pretty quiet card. Not sure what the fan parameters are on the FE cards but it would have the same TDP as the SC has already so you'd only be in it for the fan profile...I think blowers are lower RPM but I;m not 100%. You can cross flash but I'm pretty sure it only works if you have a reference design and flash a reference design. I'm pretty sure all 8 pin 1080s are reference as well, some do have different video outputs though so if you used one of those you'd probably loose one of the DP ports.

I'm actually fine with the GTX1080 >/=2000Mhz, runs 1440p really well. Adding 100Mhz would only be a 5% difference in speed and would equate to a smaller percentage increase in games. The extra TDP gave me an extra 300 points in superposition medium even though it was thermal throttling (and I don't mean loosing boost lol). 300 is a lot in that bench.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
PlugFour Level 1

2080Mhz

Quote: Originally Posted by derx View Post
I think most of them hit between 2 and 2.1Ghz. If you're lucky your card hits 2.2Ghz.
I'm one of the lucky ones. Got my card to 2254 on the Asus T4 bios on water. Now I'm back to the Palit Jetstream Bios as it crashes in the game I play (iRacing) when I'm at 2.2Ghz, and the Palit has a bit better performance with lower clocks. It just can't hit the 1.2volts like the T4 bios does. As I went to the Palit bios today I've not yet tested it to the limit, but it does [email protected] stable. Memory I've kept at 5700 for now.
Hello, indeed you're lucky.
Previously I said I could reach 2.15Ghz with my 1080FE. in fact that not stable. The maximum frequency I can get is 2.08Ghz. But that's exactly like a wall. At this frequency, it is rock stable. If I add 25Mhz, it crashes quickly under some games, even if I keep the GPU cool in a cold room.
after some googling, it looks like the 1070, 1080 and 1080Ti have this 2080Mhz wall. Many people are stuck at this frequency, and several people mention a wall, but never explain how. If somebody know the reason... It seems to be something else than the silicium lottery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in