KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 ex (Galax in USA) High temps! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 ex (Galax in USA) High temps!

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have bought the KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 ex (not exoc) and I am very disappointed with the cooler it has. When I try to oc around 2.050 Ghz the temperatures can go 80+ C with constant 99% usage tests eg. in witcher 3 and in furmark test (99%).

Is this normal?

Do you have the same problem? I am not an expert in gtx 1070 chip but looking at gtx fe and other aftermarket solutions in reviews and in relevant you tube videos eg. strix gtx 1070 it looks much cooler even at constant 99% usage in witcher 3 @ 2.050Ghz.
The fan speed is at 90-100% and I use a pc case with 5, 120mm arctic F12 fans so the airflow is ok.

I am thinking to return back now that I can. I am so frustrated. Can someone evaluate my findings? Can someone simulate my tests and post their temperatures at 99% usage and oc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

I don't have the KFA2 or the GALAX card, my zotac 1070 extreme run the witcher 3 @2.1ghz with auto fan, max temp 59C, not oc yet.

What your room temp ?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
Ok its a shot in the dark, but if remove the cooler you will see a black pad under VRM, A shot in the dark, remove black pad and allow VRM aluminum to contact heat sink or allow complete air to filter through VRM.
This method was on the exoc 1070, dont know about ex / replacing thermal paste helps as well may make for better results

INDUSTRY
(12 items)
CPU
AMD THREAD-RIPPER 1950X TR4
Motherboard
MSI Carbon PRO X399 TR4
GPU
Sapphire Pulse 5700xt
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3466 (PC4 27700)
Hard Drive
SSD
Power Supply
SilverStone
Cooling
KOOLANCE / HEATKILLER / BITSPOWER / COOLGATE
Case
CaseLabs Bullitt BH7
Monitor
LG 27UD69P-W IPS 27" 4K
Monitor
LG 32UK50T UHD 32" 4k
Keyboard
KAILH Keys Gaming
Mouse
Logitech G600
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

After I saw some pictures in internet I think it is the exact model just with lower clock speeds. That is an interesting finding, do you have a source for this ?

There are 4 big screws on the back but now sure if there another screw under the warranty sticker. I am so tempted to remove the cooler!!

I have seen some reviews on this product and I see a few people having problems with heat when the boost goes above 2Ghz.

As it stand by now for me I believe that the heat sink is not adequate for 150tdp gpu and/or the fans are not running strong enough even at 99% (around 2200rpm? I have to recheck).
For comparison I have also a gigabyte gtx 1060 wind-force and it is a small beast, it oc to +2.1Ghz and the temperature is max 65C at 99% usage and it goes above its tdp ~110+.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

UPDATE

I decided to reapply new thermal paste on the gpu since there was no warranty stick preventing me to remove the heatsink (thank you kfa2).To my surprise the back plate screws from the factory were not tight but pretty loose. So, I applied mx4 thermal paste and I saw around 5-6 C less temperature degrees with furmark with oc at around 2.050 Ghz (around 80 C with 100% fans).
At valley I could get +2.1 Ghz. A strange thing also appeared as now coil whine made its appearance at low fps.

I finally decided to returned it back because I felt the cooling is not good enough and I got fully refunded. I wish they have used better and faster fans on this model. After some further research I see only top tier gtx 1070 like strix, inno3d ichill, msi gaming x have no probs with oc and furmark. What you pay is what you get.

A week later it I kinda regret that I returned it back since it was a good OCer and on a cheap special offer and got the job done.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Even the FE run about the same temps and clocks which is strange.

It seems like the heatsink wasn't making full contact with the die, considering the heatsink is much larger and has double the fans of a FE.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimster View Post

UPDATE

I decided to reapply new thermal paste on the gpu since there was no warranty stick preventing me to remove the heatsink (thank you kfa2).To my surprise the back plate screws from the factory were not tight but pretty loose. So, I applied mx4 thermal paste and I saw around 5-6 C less temperature degrees with furmark with oc at around 2.050 Ghz (around 80 C with 100% fans).
At valley I could get +2.1 Ghz. A strange thing also appeared as now coil whine made its appearance at low fps.

I finally decided to returned it back because I felt the cooling is not good enough and I got fully refunded. I wish they have used better and faster fans on this model. After some further research I see only top tier gtx 1070 like strix, inno3d ichill, msi gaming x have no probs with oc and furmark. What you pay is what you get.

A week later it I kinda regret that I returned it back since it was a good OCer and on a cheap special offer and got the job done.

interesting. Looks like Galax/KFA2 have some issues regarding factory assembly. My 980ti was the same. Had bad temps and screws came loose some how and my temps went crazy high. Stock clocks 100% fan speed 77-80C and couldn't overclock at all. Tightened the screwws and helped a bit about 5C. Decided screw it redoing the thermal paste on the card and my temps dropped to 60-65C under load and only reaching 80C when on extreme loads (power goes over 100% for the card) but then back down again. This is with an overclock as well.

Gaming RIG
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I feel like I have to update my post after my further experience with the same model because I found it unfair for the potential buyers.

So after I successfully returned my first kfa2 gtx 1070 ex I decided to give it another try. I was lucky to find two good offers within a sort period so I bought them both (lol). So I had to decide which one to send back and which one to keep after some testing smile.gif

And now to my impressions. One model had its back plate screws loose again and the other not at all. I simply screw them a bit just enough so they were not loose.

Now after I installed them both to my system I did some stress tests and this time the results were good. The temperatures were much better than my first gpu so I guess it was faulty.

Even at the Witcher 3, where previously it was struggling to stay under 80 C with 100% fan speed and oc @ ~2,050Mhz now both stayed ~65 C. In Firestrike test they both showed a good oc performance with ~2.075-2.100 MHz.

Both have Micron GDDR5 chips and after I flashed them both with the vram bios update they work fine. One of them though oc better than the other with ~2340MHz vs 2200MHz.

I later realize that you can flash with KFA2 GTX 1070 EXOC bios so you can have better core stock speeds. I tried and it is now a EXOC model. There is of course a fan stop option also.

The bad ones:

Both of them have coil whine. One of them though had a bit less coil whine than the other. I am not sure if this is a coincidence but, the one with more coil whine was able to squeeze a bit more overclocking. I read that coil whine is hit or miss so who knows. It can be annoying to some people but I use headphones.

Overall it is very solid and nice buy for a great price.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have also a KFA2 1070 and didn't noticed some strange issue (well i didn't check the temperature when gaming ^^

Now i'll give a try, and look if the screws are good or not wink.gif

you also flashed the exoc bios to your ex card ? is it now recognized as a exoc ?
I guess this makes the card even hotter as the speeds are normally better

did you run some benchmark with ex bios and exoc bios to see the difference ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 04:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
i have one galax 1070 exoc, afaik it never touch 75~80C since bought. the hottest might be 73C under 1.093V.
Playing witcher3, 3dmark stress test, gta5, hitman etc.

btw overclock performances is not so great in my personal test.
Max stable 20.8XX Firestrike graphic scores only.
21k scores will get me into trouble such as crashing driver, minor artifacting from memory. it might be silicon lottery.

oh btw shouldn't use furmark at all, it's not necessary anymore this day imho.

Gaming 4 Life

English is not my primary language

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in