The definitive GTX 1070 Micron memory thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The definitive GTX 1070 Micron memory thread

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
stock...hahaha

Rep: 124 (Unique: 87)

I am the guy who discovered the "micron" bug and started the long thread at Nvidia.com under the ID brm65. In that thread, Nvidia acknowledged the bug and started working with the partners to resolve the bug with the production of a bios update.

In case anyone has not seen that thread, it is here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/963768/geforce-drivers/gtx-1070-memory-vrm-driver-or-bios-bug-in-micron-memory-1070-cards-/

I have seen so much misinformation and fear mongering about what it actually means to have Micron memory installed posted here in the 1070 owners club thread, on reddit and various other forums and tech blogs. I thought I would post a definitive note here in an attempt to clear up the various misconceptions and half truths that so many people seem to have.

1. There is nothing physically wrong with Micron memory chips as a product. If your card crashes at stock speeds, without any overclocking being applied, firstly remove all old drivers and do a clean install. if it still crashes at stock speeds then your card is possibly faulty and you might consider returning it.

2. The White Checkerboard artiface and Crash is caused by a timing issue between the micron chips ability to switch to running at higher clock speeds and the ability of the memory VRMs (Voltage regulator) ability to increase the voltage from a low idle state to being under a full 3D load. The end result, in certain circumstances, is that the memory chips clock up and end up being starved of power causing the checkerboard artifacts, lockup and subsequent BSOD crash.

3. Nvidia 1070 cards have 4 user accessible "P-States" (Performance States) that they can operate at. The three idle states are configured via the Nvidia control Panel under the setting "Power Management Mode" and are described as "Optimal Power", "Adaptive" and "Prefer Maximum Performance". The fourth P-State is accessed when you place the card under a 3d load such as when you are gaming or running a benchmark. A "P-State" determines the voltage and performance levels that the GPU operates at.

4. in Optimal, Adaptive modes and Prefer Maximum performance modes, the card will idle at .285v, .625v or .811v respectively at default core clock speeds.

5. The idle voltages will vary if you use the core clock slider to overclock your card, the higher you set the slider, the idle voltages are determined by the P-State and are fixed to a specific core frequency as determined by the bios. As you increase the slider, the point on the curve that represents the fixed base clock frequency reduces the associated voltage point on the curve. 

6. the Memory VRM levels, while not directly reported by Afterburner or Precision XOC etc. appear to be proportional to the Voltage levels for the GPU that are reported by those overclock utilities.

7. the Timing issues that cause the crash only show themselves if the voltage has to increase from idle levels of about 0.775v or below to full power with a large memory overclock that typically exceeds +400 from the reference memory clock speed. 

8. there are a number of methods, some of which I describe here that you can use you can use to mitigate the bug: a) lock the voltage on the curve using Afterburner or use K boost in Precision XOC. b) Set the performance setting to "prefer max performance mode in the control panel and make sure that the card is idling at .811v or above. c) if you do not use the lock voltage method, do  not use the slider to increase core clock frequency, use the curve to increase clocks at the high end of the curve while leaving the low end of the curve at stock.  

9. The published datasheets for both Samsung and Micron, where they have comparable specifications, both show identical 1.35-1.5v voltage requirements and other physical specifications. The exception to that statement is that Samsung has not published ram timings where Micron has.  

If you discover any other workarounds or have news about the new vbioses for your brand of card, please feel free to include them in this thread for other peoples reference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
stock...hahaha

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 24)
I have noticed that MSI released BIOS update for GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
stock...hahaha

yes. there is a large discussion at the owners club thread.

The new bioses that have been released seem to have resolved the issue

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Zotac has not released new Bios yet frown.gif
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
stock...hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencelyl View Post

I think that they and possibly Inno3D are about the only ones left. For some reason the HK based companies are all living in denial. Palit users got lucky because there was something else wrong with the fan controls so they got their fix by default.

EVGA, ASUS, MSI, Palit/Gainward, Gigabyte (even though their website says it is for Samsung memory (WTH?) have all released bioses that resolve the issue

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbtk View Post

I think that they and possibly Inno3D are about the only ones left. For some reason the HK based companies are all living in denial. Palit users got lucky because there was something else wrong with the fan controls so they got their fix by default.

EVGA, ASUS, MSI, Palit/Gainward, Gigabyte (even though their website says it is for Samsung memory (WTH?) have all released bioses that resolve the issue

Their website said it was for Samsung memory, because it was for samsung memory. There is a Micron update now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencelyl View Post

Not yet, but I noticed something new on their support/downloads page. Last week when checking for bios there, on the downloads page for graphics cards, you choose type of download (ie, bios), series (lists all GPU models). They have no bios for any GPU models they manufacture.

However, now when checking, if you select bios download, then series, it only lists the 1070 instead of all GPU models. Its still not available, but it seems they are readying for an eventual release.

Not that I'm in a hurry for it, just curious if they will have it. My micron AMP 1070 does just fine when vram clock is upped to 700mhz. So will probably not use the bios since I tend to keep my GPUs at stock clocks anyway.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
You're right... something up on their website. Hopefully new Bios will be released soon smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in