[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club - Page 1787 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club

post #17861 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by mouacyk View Post
Still pretty cool though, to get mid 40's for air-cooled temps. That's custom water-cooling territory.
True enough. I don't think he's doing any overclocking though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17862 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Zfast4y0u View Post
@schoolofmonkey

gigabyte aorus and msi gaming x have better temps then the strix, in vrm area, aorus being best of the three and strix has the worst. your temps are within card spec, if u take a look of review from kitguru, his vrm temps were 85c, in open test bench i believe, so your being 5-6c hotter is fine i guess. however yes it could be better. if you are worried for lifespan of ur card, take a look of this video where its explained in detail when you should worry about vrm temps.

btw strix backplate has no purpose in cooling what so ever, its just for the looks, thats why they cut holes for those chips that get hot, to get some breathing area. i know my ek back plate on strix gets somewhere between warm and hot to touch when card is pushed hard. even on water block vrm's can get ''hot'' if you overclock to the limit and put card on heavy load, i know mine can get up to 48-49c in such scenarios, on profile i run for daily use, vrms max out at around 41-44c max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9JxeIqVkuQ
Interesting thanks. I'm surprised the Asus Strix doesn't have a functional backplate considering its supposed to be a high end part?
post #17863 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
@8051 it makes zero contact with anything, its just for stupid RGB kinda sad but oh well, thats why this guy had better temps on vrm area when he put fan to remove hot air under backplate. that itself lower temps by 10c in his case xd i bet he would have even better temps without backplate at all.

on EK backplate u have lots of spots for thermal pads dedicated to make contact with PCB to cool things over. i just wish they start making fins on em too, for better heat removing, not just flat piece of material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17864 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 76 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zfast4y0u View Post
@8051 it makes zero contact with anything, its just for stupid RGB kinda sad but oh well, thats why this guy had better temps on vrm area when he put fan to remove hot air under backplate. that itself lower temps by 10c in his case xd i bet he would have even better temps without backplate at all.

on EK backplate u have lots of spots for thermal pads dedicated to make contact with PCB to cool things over. i just wish they start making fins on em too, for better heat removing, not just flat piece of material.
My EVGA 1080 Ti stock at least the EVGA backplate made thermal contact with the back of the PCB in multiple places with thermal pads. Nasty pads that left this oily residue all over the PCB that took a few hours to clean off but they did contact it. But it was very thin, like 2~3 mm thick or less. I was happy that the EK full backplate I got was.. I'm not sure how thick but it seemed to be about 10mm thick or so. Definitely about +5x thicker than the thin thing that EVGA had on there originally. And it does contact the PCB on the back with multiple thermalpads. I've touched the backplate under load and it does seem to distribute the heat a lot. Looks nice and protects the back of the card too.
post #17865 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:49 PM
OCCT Stable OCD

Rep: 34 (Unique: 29)
Ok so I tried the fan blowing onto the card, didn't make any difference to the actual VRM temps, but it did raise the GPU temps.

I think the bottom intake and fan on the card are keeping the hot air in a pocket around the card itself, so the hot air is exhausting out the side of the card then the top fan (on the backplate) is blowing that same hot air back into the card.

So I'm getting better results using it to draw hot air out from under the backplate.

I am going to try the smaller 90mm Fractal fan I have here to blow onto the VRM's because that doesn't hang over the side of the card like the 140mm Noctua on does.

Update:
The 90mm fan brought the VRM's down 7c, but the GPU went up 4c, still nothing to worry about, worth the trade off.
This is with a small 100Mhz OC on the GPU and VRAM, but my GPU won't OC any more that 100Mhz anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-23 11_26_00-Window.png
Views:	12
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	260898  

Last edited by schoolofmonkey; 03-22-2019 at 06:29 PM.
post #17866 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
How do you get VRM temp to show?

TT View 71 RGB TGE | Gigabyte AORUS MASTER Z390 (F8b) | INTEL Core i7 8700K Pre-bin & Delid @ 5.0Ghz - EK SUPREMACY EVO RGB Nickel | GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200 (14 CAS) - 2 x 16Gb (32Gb) DDR4 | EVGA Supernova 850W G3 PSU | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 TI FTW3 - EK-FC1080 GTX TI FTW3 RGB Nickel | EK-XRES 140 REVO D5 PWM | EKWB CoolStream CE 420 | 1 x Samsung 970 Pro 512Gb NVMe - 1 x Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb NVMe - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 1Tb SSD | E5 DAC | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Windows 10 Ent 2019 LTSC x64
post #17867 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:10 AM
OCCT Stable OCD

Rep: 34 (Unique: 29)
Quote: Originally Posted by scaramonga View Post
I've got a ROG Strix, HWinfo just showed the VRM temps automatically, I didn't have to do anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-24 18_11_32-HWiNFO64 v6.03-3710 Sensor Status [74 values hidden].png
Views:	5
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	261190  

post #17868 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by kithylin View Post
My EVGA 1080 Ti stock at least the EVGA backplate made thermal contact with the back of the PCB in multiple places with thermal pads. Nasty pads that left this oily residue all over the PCB that took a few hours to clean off but they did contact it. But it was very thin, like 2~3 mm thick or less. I was happy that the EK full backplate I got was.. I'm not sure how thick but it seemed to be about 10mm thick or so. Definitely about +5x thicker than the thin thing that EVGA had on there originally. And it does contact the PCB on the back with multiple thermalpads. I've touched the backplate under load and it does seem to distribute the heat a lot. Looks nice and protects the back of the card too.
The backplate on my MSI 1080Ti Duke had no thermal pads but an insulating plastic sheet covering it that was royal PITA to remove and the adhesive even worse. I had to use carb cleaner to get the adhesive off and even that wasn't easy.
post #17869 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
😞
Pic added of issue in bios.
Had a slight leak the other day while installing a second card.

Got it all cleaned up, and now the card that didn’t even get wet seems to be causing extreme post times.

I can post through the card that did get wet, but not the one that didn’t.

Go figure.

Running a DDU. I really hope I didn’t biff something.

Windows reads both cards but shows error on the one that I can’t post thru.

It’s code 43 - no steps to resolve have worked.

Maybe it’s shorting from messed up block and plate install?

Update -

Maybe that slot isn’t a spec supported by modern nv cards? Checking... the bios does recommend using only slot one and two.

Damn, I guess I gotta take the block off, n test it in slot two, then get another block that actually syncs up with the RGB series.

Last edited by skupples; 03-24-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #17870 of 17977 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:16 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 76 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by scaramonga View Post
Not all 1080 Ti's have that extra sensor. The reference PCB cards do not. My EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition (Reference PCB) does not have a VRM temperature sensor either. Some cards do, some cards don't. Depends on the card. Usually non-reference PCB versions will probably have one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in