[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club - Page 1796 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club

post #17951 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 528 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by Streetdragon View Post
Soo im in 1080TI Sli watercooled.

Thought sli would work as good as cossfire.. but nope. A bit disapointed. Metro exodus work only with hex editing and anthem not at all.

Some benchmarks dont use sli and dx12 has no sli support at all. Feels really bad, BUT it looks cool.

Maybe there comes more support in the future
You coulda asked first. Someone points this out almost daily.
It’s essentially a dead technology at the moment, until dx12 and nvlink mature.

I’ve been saying this since GK110... and yet I still get the second used card cuz when it does work, it’s glorious

For now though, I’d take GSync over sli 99% of the time since it works 100% of the time Vs. SLI’s 10% of the time, sad part is GSync in unison with SLI is pretty broken from what I understand.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 04-21-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17952 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:09 AM
Manual breath enabled

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
Yeah^^ mostly useless, BUT it looks nice and was fun to build xD
And both do 2100/6095Mhz ^^

Gameingcube
(18 items)
CPU
Intel I7 5930K
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme
GPU
1080 TI Founders Edition
GPU
1080 TI Founders Edition
RAM
F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR
Hard Drive
2000GB Seagate Barracuda Compute ST2000DM008 256MB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
samsung m2 970 evo
Power Supply
Leadex 80 Plus Platinum Netzteil, schwarz - 1200 Watt
Cooling
heatkiller IV pro
Cooling
EK-FC1080 GTX Ti - Nickel
Cooling
Cooling
Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Plexi
Cooling
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 480mm
Cooling
XSPC Multiport Radiator EX240
Cooling
Scythe Grand Flex 4Pin PWM
Case
thermaltake core x9
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #17953 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Like a fox!

Rep: 77 (Unique: 58)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
You coulda asked first. Someone points this out almost daily.
It’s essentially a dead technology at the moment, until dx12 and nvlink mature.

I’ve been saying this since GK110... and yet I still get the second used card cuz when it does work, it’s glorious

For now though, I’d take GSync over sli 99% of the time since it works 100% of the time Vs. SLI’s 10% of the time, sad part is GSync in unison with SLI is pretty broken from what I understand.
I still don't understand why people like you are intentionally trying to downplay SLI and try to tell everyone "It's useless" and "It doesn't work don't bother". SLI is a fantastic technology and the last time I used it a few years ago (GTX 770's) I had no issues getting SLI to work in every game I wanted it to work in, or rather the games I cared to play. Sometimes it may take a little manual tweaking of profiles but that's a one-time-and-done thing and then it works forever and the custom tweaked profiles can be backed up and restored between driver updates. It's not really a big deal. I usually saw between +60% to +80% scaling from a second card in all the titles I normally want to play and it was glorious. It's totally worth it and I'm excited to go back to SLI again with 1080 Ti's later.

Folks just need to do their due diligence and research if the games they want to play support SLI or if they don't support it out of the box, how much of a pain it is to make it work. It's not something you can just buy and expect everything to work, some games require a little work (one time only). Which by the way, AMD crossfire doesn't work for everything out of the box either but there's no way to tune it to make it work if it doesn't work out of the box. With nvidia at least we can tune games ourselves, which is fantastic and awesome. If you buy it and then complain the games you want to play don't use SLI And you didn't research it first then the problem is with you and not the underlying technology.

Sorry for the rant.. it just feels a little sad inside seeing people trying to say "SLI DIDN'T WORK IN MY GAMES, IT'S TERRIBLE, DON'T BUY INTO IT".

Last edited by kithylin; 04-21-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17954 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

keplar was the last time SLI was worth a damn, that's why we downplay it. We actually agree on this point, as my GK110 Titans were the last time I enjoyed SLI too! The only difference is I've kept using it since & have further witnessed its decline. For the moment, it's really a crap shoot, & folks that wanna play with it should realize that going into it.

your last experience with it, was its dying breath.

Support level is maybe 1 in 10, and many games that DO Support it don't actually need it. (see official support list)

sure if you love hacking n slashing ini files, hex editing, nv inspectoring, then SLI is for you.

***SLI is still great for some specific communities, like the racer kids and fly boys.

you seem to keep missing my saying this part.

it isn't "my games" there's a pretty well tracked list of games with intentional support, & modded support. Most titles with modded support experience issues.

even nvidia thinks sli is dead... see removal of it on lower end cards, and NVLink

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure it qualifies as ancient & flawed. Its golden hour was DX9.

Hopes - NVLink + DX12 = epic sli like the good ol' days.

post #17955 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Like a fox!

keplar was the last time SLI was worth a damn, that's why we downplay it. We actually agree on this point, as my GK110 Titans were the last time I enjoyed SLI too! The only difference is I've kept using it since & have further witnessed its decline. For the moment, it's really a crap shoot, & folks that wanna play with it should realize that going into it.

your last experience with it, was its dying breath.

Support level is maybe 1 in 10, and many games that DO Support it don't actually need it. (see official support list)

sure if you love hacking n slashing ini files, hex editing, nv inspectoring, then SLI is for you.

***SLI is still great for some specific communities, like the racer kids and fly boys.

you seem to keep missing my saying this part.

it isn't "my games" there's a pretty well tracked list of games with intentional support, & modded support. Most titles with modded support experience issues.

even nvidia thinks sli is dead... see removal of it on lower end cards, and NVLink

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure it qualifies as ancient & flawed. Its golden hour was DX9.

Hopes - NVLink + DX12 = epic sli like the good ol' days.
Nvidia inspector is trivial.. like I said, do it once and it's good forever and can even move it to new driver updates and back up the changes. A little effort once for never touching it again.
A short list of a few of the games I'm concerned with:
ARK: Survival Evolved: +90% with 1080 Ti's.
Borderlands 2: +80% with two 1080 Ti's (Yes it's necessary with the new 4K texture update, loads my 1080 Ti hard in some areas).
Fallout 4: +85% with 1080 Ti's.
Monster Hunter World: +70% with 1080 Ti's.
F1 2018: +70% with 1080 Ti's.
I don't see anything negative at all, or any issues, problems, or any reason to think it's either dead or not useful. Seems great to me. A second 1080 Ti is faster in these titles than switching to a 2080 Ti, and cheaper. For me it will be the best option at the moment and I'm both looking forward to it and excited to get the second 1080 Ti later. I'm aiming for 100~120 FPS minimums in all titles above and some others at max settings.

Last edited by kithylin; 04-21-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #17956 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Manual breath enabled

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by kithylin View Post
Nvidia inspector is trivial.. like I said, do it once and it's good forever and can even move it to new driver updates and back up the changes. A little effort once for never touching it again.
A short list of a few of the games I'm concerned with:
ARK: Survival Evolved: +90% with 1080 Ti's.
Borderlands 2: +80% with two 1080 Ti's (Yes it's necessary with the new 4K texture update, loads my 1080 Ti hard in some areas).
Fallout 4: +85% with 1080 Ti's.
Monster Hunter World: +70% with 1080 Ti's.
F1 2018: +70% with 1080 Ti's.
I don't see anything negative at all, or any issues, problems, or any reason to think it's either dead or not useful. Seems great to me. A second 1080 Ti is faster in these titles than switching to a 2080 Ti, and cheaper. For me it will be the best option at the moment and I'm both looking forward to it and excited to get the second 1080 Ti later. I'm aiming for 100~120 FPS minimums in all titles above and some others at max settings.
more FPS and it looks nice in the case

Gameingcube
(18 items)
CPU
Intel I7 5930K
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme
GPU
1080 TI Founders Edition
GPU
1080 TI Founders Edition
RAM
F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
samsung m2 970 evo
Power Supply
Leadex 80 Plus Platinum Netzteil, schwarz - 1200 Watt
Cooling
heatkiller IV pro
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Plexi
Cooling
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 480mm
Cooling
XSPC Multiport Radiator EX240
Cooling
Scythe Grand Flex 4Pin PWM
Case
thermaltake core x9
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #17957 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 61)
I run a single 1080Ti first time in 10 years I felt it wasn't necessary to run SLI but I keep my old 770 in there not for any reason but to keep the 1080Ti company would be all lonely in there by its self.
besides the mother board looks a bit empty with a single card in there.

If I had the spare cash laying around I would go SLI but just brought a house instead.

LG 38UC99-Asus Apex X [email protected] 5.4Ghz-2AVX-Asus 1080Ti Strix+Asus GTX770-16Gb RGB G-Skill 3200Mhz-256Mb 960evo OS-1Tb 860evo Programs-Corsair RM1000i-1.5+2+4Tb HDD- Custom Water loop
post #17958 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yeaaah... that’s the issue. Some of those titles do fly, n some of them just bench out better but have horrid stutter issues, etc.

MH:W is one of “my games” and I play in 1440p max over 4K cuz sli support is terrible, thus the game runs much smoother on a single card (this is a common trend if you look at any number besides FPS when reading benchmarks for SLI. It’s almost disingenuous of you to leave out frame times, etc when discussing SLI #s.)

You also just listed like 5 years worth of sli release titles. (excluding BL2)

My point boils down to this since you’re hell bent on arguing for a technology you haven’t used in 4 generations...

If youre buying new - get the best damn card you can, n maybe add a second one later..

If you’re buying used, get the best damn card you can, then add a second one later..

Hey look at that!!

The days of running 2x 770 cuz it’s faster than 1x titan are long gone my friend. They’ll return soon enough though.

Oh btw - the above 2x 70s vs 1x titan? Another area where it would be disingenuous to not mention the fact that the Titan still wins and higher resolutions. 😉

You seem to not want to except any advice from anyone who’s been dealing with the technology since the beginning. If you want better FPS a monster Hunter world you won’t be doing it with two video cards I can promise you that, unless you have a very low sensitivity bar for stuttering pacing issues and extreme frame time variance.

I wish you the best of luck with your second card but you’ll hear my voice at some point while busting your nuckles to get something that “should” support SLI to actually work well with it on. Yuuuuuuge difference.

Also - most inspector profiles don’t do a whole lot, as NV is pretty damn good at baking in the correct bits after 1-2 driver updates so 99% of the time the bits given online are the bits already baked into the default profile for the title.

I await your 4K SLI MH:W prefer resolution results, or how you got it to actually run smoothly on the second card without extreme frame variance and hitching every 30 seconds.

FO4 is a great sli title. One of the few to come out in the last 5 years. Along with Deus ex. Just make sure you turn off dx12. Same for metro. Good luck with that. They broke sli in the redux, and exodus. However, the results after editing are OK... still not as great as 2033 OG, which is infuriating.

Just remember - 2 cards @ 50-56% isn’t functional SLI. It’s two cards doing the work of one, With the inherent latency of sli baked in.

Last edited by skupples; 04-22-2019 at 06:03 AM.
post #17959 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Like a fox!

Yeaaah... that’s the issue. Some of those titles do fly, n some of them just bench out better but have horrid stutter issues, etc.

MH:W is one of “my games” and I play in 1440p max over 4K cuz sli support is terrible, thus the game runs much smoother on a single card (this is a common trend if you look at any number besides FPS when reading benchmarks for SLI. It’s almost disingenuous of you to leave out frame times, etc when discussing SLI #s.)

You also just listed like 5 years worth of sli release titles. (excluding BL2)

My point boils down to this since you’re hell bent on arguing for a technology you haven’t used in 4 generations...

If youre buying new - get the best damn card you can, n maybe add a second one later..

If you’re buying used, get the best damn card you can, then add a second one later..

Hey look at that!!

The days of running 2x 770 cuz it’s faster than 1x titan are long gone my friend. They’ll return soon enough though.

Oh btw - the above 2x 70s vs 1x titan? Another area where it would be disingenuous to not mention the fact that the Titan still wins and higher resolutions. 😉

You seem to not want to except any advice from anyone who’s been dealing with the technology since the beginning. If you want better FPS a monster Hunter world you won’t be doing it with two video cards I can promise you that, unless you have a very low sensitivity bar for stuttering pacing issues and extreme frame time variance.

I wish you the best of luck with your second card but you’ll hear my voice at some point while busting your nuckles to get something that “should” support SLI to actually work well with it on. Yuuuuuuge difference.

Also - most inspector profiles don’t do a whole lot, as NV is pretty damn good at baking in the correct bits after 1-2 driver updates so 99% of the time the bits given online are the bits already baked into the default profile for the title.

I await your 4K SLI MH:W prefer resolution results, or how you got it to actually run smoothly on the second card without extreme frame variance and hitching every 30 seconds.

FO4 is a great sli title. One of the few to come out in the last 5 years. Along with Deus ex. Just make sure you turn off dx12. Same for metro. Good luck with that. They broke sli in the redux, and exodus. However, the results after editing are OK... still not as great as 2033 OG, which is infuriating.

Just remember - 2 cards @ 50-56% isn’t functional SLI. It’s two cards doing the work of one, With the inherent latency of sli baked in.
The problem is all the titles I listed a single 1080 Ti isn't fast enough to get the 100~120 FPS minimums I want in these games. And a RTX 2080 Ti isn't fast enough to do it either. I need more than 2080 Ti performance and right now there's no other way to do it other than SLI. Literally no other way. There isn't a fast enough single-card yet that money can buy. You can argue all you want but until the RTX/GTX 3000 and 4000 series come out there's no other option. And even by then it still may not do the performance I need single-card either. And for your information I have researched everything. I've looked at youtube videos for those titles and other titles I want to play. I've even talked directly to people on steam that use SLI 1080 Ti's in these titles. Even in MH:W there's zero stutter with a fast enough CPU (9900K with manual all-core overclock to 5.2 Ghz) with SLI 1080 Ti's @ 1080p and 1440p. The folks I talked to have nothing but good things to say. High FPS performance, no perceivable stutter to them and everything butter-smooth. From everything I've researched all these negative things you're mentioning don't exist in actual usage in actual games. I think you're just making all this up to make SLI sound bad. I still don't understand why though. I don't and never would use 4K however.. maybe it does have stutter at 4K.

Last edited by kithylin; 04-22-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #17960 of 18011 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

As stated - this is in 4K, however results are similar but less pronounced in 1440p, specially when the frames really start picking up. Clearly though, we've figure it out, it's just my weak 5.3 9700k & 3200mhz memory

We're also in two different boats. you want high FPS in 1080p, which i'm guessing wouldn't even require a second card based on 1440p ultra running 70-90 most of the time. Really I believe the issue is the same as its always been. Two cards doesn't do much for ya at higher resolutions if you're already nearing your memory bandwidth cap.

I really do hope you get the epic experience you expect, I do. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of anything (no matter how many times you annoyingly say it, it won't come true), I'm pretty sure that's just your tribal nature kicking in & improperly deciphering these figures on the screen.

People just gotta remember - one beefier card always wins against two mid range cards (specially when the beefier card has higher memory bus!!!!) UNLESS!?!?! anyone remember?! you're gaming in resolutions low enough to not max out the memory bandwidth, as memory bandwidth doesn't scale as most expect it to, in SLI.

it's a funny time right now though, 20 series sucks & many of us are experienced that first hand, thus the only other thing to do is slap on an extra 1080ti for the one outta ten times its gonna work well.

as I stated in the beginning of all of this like 2 weeks ago - I'm not trading in my 2nd card until I see how it fares on my 3440x1440p alienware next month. That however won't change the fact 1 in 10 games support SLI, and that its a dead technology being replaced by NVLink. The more DX12 titles we see, the less SLI titles we'll see, until they get that part all ironed out, which may take a couple more years & we currently get maybe 1 outta 20 with native support, n can maybe get 1 in 5 to work with tweaked support.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in