How To Flash A Different BIOS On Your 1080 Ti. - Page 216 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How To Flash A Different BIOS On Your 1080 Ti.

post #2151 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 295 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by kithylin View Post
In MSI Afterburner the "Power Limit" that is either 1 or 0 doesn't do jack squat and is useless, don't rely on that. I'm now on the stock bios with my 1080 Ti (EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition) and it only gives me +20% in MSI Afterburner for power. Which is 120% for my card. What you need to do is look at the power limit % slider in afterburner and see what it says for your card. If it's +30% then it would be 130%. Then look at the actual "GPU# Power, %" graph in afterburner. With my card I can run 3dmark and see it sitting at 118% - 120% constantly, that means it's power limiting. Even though it is power limiting, the "GPU# power limit" graph never ever ticks over to "1" for me, not even once, ever. It's always at 0 permanently forever. Even though sometimes my card still is power limiting. That slider is useless. I have no idea what it actually does but it doesn't mean the card isn't power limiting.
I'm not sure that's true. On my setup with the FTW BIOS i can clearly see my clocks go down to 1987MHz from 2000MHz whenever "1" is displayed on the Power limit graph, even though i'm only at 113% out of 127% power usage.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2152 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 79 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by Outcasst View Post
I'm not sure that's true. On my setup with the FTW BIOS i can clearly see my clocks go down to 1987MHz from 2000MHz whenever "1" is displayed on the Power limit graph, even though i'm only at 113% out of 127% power usage.
I have two computers, a GTX 1060 3GB in one and my 1080 in the other. I've never seen the "Power limit" graph tick over to "1" once in the past several years with either computer. No matter what benchmark or game or anything I run with it.. it just doesn't ever show "1" for me. I've assumed it's a useless thing and doesn't work, whatever it is.
post #2153 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
In MSI Afterburner the "Power Limit" that is either 1 or 0 doesn't do jack squat and is useless, don't rely on that. I'm now on the stock bios with my 1080 Ti (EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition) and it only gives me +20% in MSI Afterburner for power. Which is 120% for my card. What you need to do is look at the power limit % slider in afterburner and see what it says for your card. If it's +30% then it would be 130%. Then look at the actual "GPU# Power, %" graph in afterburner. With my card I can run 3dmark and see it sitting at 118% - 120% constantly, that means it's power limiting. Even though it is power limiting, the "GPU# power limit" graph never ever ticks over to "1" for me, not even once, ever. It's always at 0 permanently forever. Even though sometimes my card still is power limiting. That slider is useless. I have no idea what it actually does but it doesn't mean the card isn't power limiting.
Power limit 1 correlates to core clock and/or voltage drop.
I can run FireStrike Ultra stress test loop at 1.093V and 2100 and I can tell you for certain that whenever power limit goes from 0 to 1, the clock drops. Try it at high voltages and high clocks and it will trigger. If anything I haven't found the power% to be useful at all since it gives no indication to stability. With my stock Aorus bios this will happen very quickly. With FTW3 Kingpin bios it will not happen at all.
Would love to continue this discussion to see what I'm missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2154 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 295 (Unique: 271)
Strange, I can't get the FTW BIOS to *not* power throttle. With or without the .bat file, i get power throttling when it hits 110% power usage or higher. I am running the FE with no HW mods, maybe it's just the physical hardware limit?

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Last edited by Outcasst; 07-02-2019 at 04:25 PM.
post #2155 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:04 PM
Like a fox!

Quote: Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
Power limit 1 correlates to core clock and/or voltage drop.
I can run FireStrike Ultra stress test loop at 1.093V and 2100 and I can tell you for certain that whenever power limit goes from 0 to 1, the clock drops. Try it at high voltages and high clocks and it will trigger. If anything I haven't found the power% to be useful at all since it gives no indication to stability. With my stock Aorus bios this will happen very quickly. With FTW3 Kingpin bios it will not happen at all.
Would love to continue this discussion to see what I'm missing.
I'm not touching any voltage ever again for my card after degrading it with 1.200v on XOC bios. I just leave it at what ever the bios default is and deal with only being able to OC it to 2025 Mhz core clock and that's all it will ever do now. I might some day try the FTW3 bios on it, not sure yet if I want to. I don't think it will change anything for my card. Are you sure it's the power limit dropping your clocks and not the tempatures? Pascal is far more sensitive to high temps causing the cards to drop clocks way more than power limits will make it drop clocks.
post #2156 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Outcasst View Post
Strange, I can't get the FTW BIOS to *not* power throttle. With or without the .bat file, i get power throttling when it hits 110% power usage or higher. I am running the FE with no HW mods, maybe it's just the physical hardware limit?
Before I changed to liquid cooling, after 60c the power limit triggered. now I'm at low 50s and it doesn't trigger. This could be a physical limitation of the card, but I'm not sure, I don't know how FE cards stack against custom PCB cards like Aorus.
I'm not touching any voltage ever again for my card after degrading it with 1.200v on XOC bios. I just leave it at what ever the bios default is and deal with only being able to OC it to 2025 Mhz core clock and that's all it will ever do now. I might some day try the FTW3 bios on it, not sure yet if I want to. I don't think it will change anything for my card. Are you sure it's the power limit dropping your clocks and not the tempatures? Pascal is far more sensitive to high temps causing the cards to drop clocks way more than power limits will make it drop clocks.
I'm sure it's the power limit. Temps are at low 50s at FireStrike Ultra and 40s for gaming. There is also another difference between FTW3 and stock bios. Stock bios drops 12MHz every 5c after 40c. FTW3 starts this behavior only after 60c. As for your case specifically, I don't think it's worth it to flash FTW3 bios. People don't realize the difference between 2000/5500 and 2100/6200 is something like 7%, and it takes a golden chip to be 2100/6200 fully stable with no downclocks and no power limits and no crashes.

Last edited by yoadknux; 07-03-2019 at 12:48 AM.
post #2157 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 AM
Like a fox!

I'm custom water looped here too and my card maxes out 43-46c in benchmarks and typically runs 30-35c gaming, I see power % maxing out sometimes to 122 though, but when it happens my card still runs the full overclock of 2025 Mhz and sustains it and never drops down, even though it's hitting the full 122% power limit (If I happen to be playing a game that actually requires maximum boost speed while playing.. which isn't all games).

It's weird. I don't usually play games that actually max out my 1080 Ti. Very rarely actually. It usually runs down-boosted around 1300 - 1500 mhz with vsync lately in this latest game I'm addicted to, Satisfactory. Back when I used to play ARK: Survival Evolved though it would run max boost all the time.

Last edited by kithylin; 07-03-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #2158 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Hello, need some help, my asus strix OC power limit is set always at 275 W. I tried bat file tweak, thanks, it changes power limit to 330 but only until i reboot, then, same again.
Checked the Bios is 86.02.39.00.23. Reflashed it 2 times from 2 diferent sources, made bat file tweak in both with same result.
At Stock boost keeps average in furmark of 16XX with 275 w reaching power limit always, with 330 boost to 17xx reaching limit sometimes, and reaching 120 percent TDP and not locking at 102.
Help me pls, how to lock 330W power limit. TY
post #2159 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Like a fox!

Quote: Originally Posted by ItsMB View Post
Hello, need some help, my asus strix OC power limit is set always at 275 W. I tried bat file tweak, thanks, it changes power limit to 330 but only until i reboot, then, same again.
Checked the Bios is 86.02.39.00.23. Reflashed it 2 times from 2 diferent sources, made bat file tweak in both with same result.
At Stock boost keeps average in furmark of 16XX with 275 w reaching power limit always, with 330 boost to 17xx reaching limit sometimes, and reaching 120 percent TDP and not locking at 102.
Help me pls, how to lock 330W power limit. TY
It sounds more like a temperature limit too. About how hot is your card running? Because when I first bought my GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition from EVGA and originally ran it on the stock cooler, I could only get about 1700 - 1800 Mhz out of it and it was running like 80c. And it was power limiting. And now that I'm back on the same stock bios and I have it on a custom water loop where I can keep it < 40c core temps (even under full load in Firestrike Ultra), I can get it to run 2011 - 2026 Mhz all the time. Even though it's also power limiting here just like it was on air cooling. With Nvidia pascal cards typically they will clock higher if you can run them cooler, even if they're already power limiting.
Also don't use furmark, or the furmark in MSI Afterburner to test clocks. Nvidia drivers are programmed to detect this test as a "Power Virus" and they program the drivers to not allow the card to hit full speed when you run Furmark anymore. Because furmark would literally kill video cards (brick them and make them dead and unusable) several years back. So Nvidia changed and now limits all video cards when it detects furmark. AMD drivers do this too for AMD cards. Use Firestrike and Timespy instead.

Last edited by kithylin; 07-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #2160 of 2186 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
It sounds more like a temperature limit too. About how hot is your card running? Because when I first bought my GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition from EVGA and originally ran it on the stock cooler, I could only get about 1700 - 1800 Mhz out of it and it was running like 80c. And it was power limiting. And now that I'm back on the same stock bios and I have it on a custom water loop where I can keep it < 40c core temps (even under full load in Firestrike Ultra), I can get it to run 2011 - 2026 Mhz all the time. Even though it's also power limiting here just like it was on air cooling. With Nvidia pascal cards typically they will clock higher if you can run them cooler, even if they're already power limiting.
Also don't use furmark, or the furmark in MSI Afterburner to test clocks. Nvidia drivers are programmed to detect this test as a "Power Virus" and they program the drivers to not allow the card to hit full speed when you run Furmark anymore. Because furmark would literally kill video cards (brick them and make them dead and unusable) several years back. So Nvidia changed and now limits all video cards when it detects furmark. AMD drivers do this too for AMD cards. Use Firestrike and Timespy instead.
Nice Ty, i was monitoring freqs with hwinfo. Limiting Furmark or not, the response is diferent with both powerlimits, the card keeps temperatures between 60-70 full load, vrms 80-85 at both limits. I need to check more and think in your theory. TY Anyway,ill check with other load, to see if power limit changes. THNX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in