How To Flash A Different BIOS On Your 1080 Ti. - Page 227 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How To Flash A Different BIOS On Your 1080 Ti.

post #2261 of 2333 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:53 PM
Like a fox!

Rep: 93 (Unique: 69)
Quote: Originally Posted by ylpkm View Post
Flashed Gigabyte 1080ti Aorus 11g to the FTW3kingpinfix and upon rebooting chrome shows up as a black box. I ran the power limit.bat right after flash and it updated the value. After reboot, I tried to reapply and it says unable to pull power limit for gpu XXXXXX. stopping due to previous errors. So I DDU and reinstall, same thing. I try to flash the Strix rom, same chrome issue. Reflash back to F3P(what I had before) and the power limit bat runs fine and chrome runs fine. Reflash back to FTW3kingpinfix, both issues are back. I remove the driver, and windows automatically installs 432.00 (driver version in device manager 26.21.14.3200) this lets me run the power limit bat, but chrome is still black, starting chrome with --disable-gpu lets me use chrome.

Has anyone had this issue? Know of any fixes that would let me run chrome with hardware acceleration and be able to use the newest drivers?
I had this issue too. I flashed to the FTW3 bios on my 1080 Ti just recently (yay higher stable overclock!) and I just edited the chrome shortcut to put: --disable-gpu at the end after the " and it works fine.

This is confusing because despite what the word is I still see gpu utilization in chrome (with this flag on) when browsing script-heavy websites and specifically when watching youtube in 4K I see the video core portion of the GPU get utilized too.

So it doesn't actually disable gpu acceleration.. but it works for me. I tried DDU and everything.

From what I think with my long years experience with windows (I'll date myself here.. my first computer ran MS-DOS before windows 1.0 existed.. I still have it in the other room) I believe modern windows some how "Bonds it's self" to what ever driver you first install in the OS after a clean install. And then once you run on that install nothing can completely remove it. Not even DDU. DDU only removes the portions of the driver that won't conflict with other installs but something deep inside windows still keeps portions of the first driver package you first installed when you first loaded the OS on the computer somewhere. I haven't tried it yet but I suspect the only way to get this "chrome black screen" issue to resolved is to completely re-install windows. Which I won't be doing for a long time unless necessary.. I just did that the week after black friday 2019 with my ryzen build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2262 of 2333 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by kithylin View Post
I had this issue too. I flashed to the FTW3 bios on my 1080 Ti just recently (yay higher stable overclock!) and I just edited the chrome shortcut to put: --disable-gpu at the end after the " and it works fine.

This is confusing because despite what the word is I still see gpu utilization in chrome (with this flag on) when browsing script-heavy websites and specifically when watching youtube in 4K I see the video core portion of the GPU get utilized too.

So it doesn't actually disable gpu acceleration.. but it works for me. I tried DDU and everything.

From what I think with my long years experience with windows (I'll date myself here.. my first computer ran MS-DOS before windows 1.0 existed.. I still have it in the other room) I believe modern windows some how "Bonds it's self" to what ever driver you first install in the OS after a clean install. And then once you run on that install nothing can completely remove it. Not even DDU. DDU only removes the portions of the driver that won't conflict with other installs but something deep inside windows still keeps portions of the first driver package you first installed when you first loaded the OS on the computer somewhere. I haven't tried it yet but I suspect the only way to get this "chrome black screen" issue to resolved is to completely re-install windows. Which I won't be doing for a long time unless necessary.. I just did that the week after black friday 2019 with my ryzen build.
Thanks for replying. Welllll sheeeuuut... I already had to reinstall windows like 4 times in the past 2 months due to hardware upgrades, testing Raid 0 (wasnt worth raiding ssd's on ryzen, infact it hurt my read performance quite a bit, even with cache enabled) and unstable ram overclocks (which I learned to use a throwaway ssd install to test so I don't lose whole instances).

I was actually thinking something similar to your thoughts. Maybe either windows or the nvidia drivers check the card info and if there is a mismatch between bios details and physical hardware, it borks. So maybe a reinstall could remedy it, or maybe modifying the rom to say its still a gigabyte aorus, gigabyte board/model etc, or maybe a checksum issue? (guide to adjust checksum values:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-bios-checksum).
post #2263 of 2333 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Like a fox!

Quote: Originally Posted by ylpkm View Post
Thanks for replying. Welllll sheeeuuut... I already had to reinstall windows like 4 times in the past 2 months due to hardware upgrades, testing Raid 0 (wasnt worth raiding ssd's on ryzen, infact it hurt my read performance quite a bit, even with cache enabled) and unstable ram overclocks (which I learned to use a throwaway ssd install to test so I don't lose whole instances).

I was actually thinking something similar to your thoughts. Maybe either windows or the nvidia drivers check the card info and if there is a mismatch between bios details and physical hardware, it borks. So maybe a reinstall could remedy it, or maybe modifying the rom to say its still a gigabyte aorus, gigabyte board/model etc, or maybe a checksum issue? (guide to adjust checksum values:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-bios-checksum).
Unfortunately we can not flash any bios back to the cards that has been modified in any way. Nvidia doesn't allow it and to the best of my knowledge (I may be wrong here) but no one has cracked a way to do this with software yet. We're only cross-flashing bios's from other cards that have different attributes right now. Either they don't know how to crack it by now or just no one cares because the 1000 series are "Old Cards" now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2264 of 2333 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 302 (Unique: 193)
Unfortunately we can not flash any bios back to the cards that has been modified in any way. Nvidia doesn't allow it and to the best of my knowledge (I may be wrong here) but no one has cracked a way to do this with software yet. We're only cross-flashing bios's from other cards that have different attributes right now. Either they don't know how to crack it by now or just no one cares because the 1000 series are "Old Cards" now.
You can flash back to your card's original BIOS and even 'lock' the BIOS again so it looks like it was never ever modified. Somewhere in the thread I wrote instructions exactly how to do it.

KedarWolf-AMD 3950x @ CCX 44.50/44.25/43.75/43.25GHZ - Motherboard MSI X570 MEG Unify - G.Skill Trident Z Neo CL16 3600MHZ 2x16GB 14-16-15-13-28 2T - 246 tRFC @ 3800MHZ 1.5v Gear Down Mode Disabled- Gigabyte/EVGA 2X 1080 Ti SLI FTW3 Kingpin Fix BIOS - 2x 1TB Sabrent Gen 4 M.2 System/Storage Drives- PSU Corsair AX1600i - Samsung 49" CHG90 QLED 32:9 Gaming Monitor - Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse- Logitech Lightspeed Mouse Pad
CPU
3950x
Motherboard
MSI X570 MEG Unify
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black EKWB Waterblock And Backplate
GPU
Gigabyte 1080 Ti FE EKWB Waterblock And Backplate
RAM
Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 16-16-16-36 3600
Hard Drive
Sabrient Gen 4 1TB M.2
Hard Drive
Sabrient Gen 4 1TB M.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX1600i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 240
Cooling
EKWB Predator 360
Case
Thermaltake X9
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 19628
Monitor
49" Samsung LC49HG90DMNXZA
Monitor
27" BenQ GW2760
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech Lightspeed
▲ hide details ▲
post #2265 of 2333 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 302 (Unique: 193)

To fix the Chrome issue I had to delete all the Chrome folders in Program (x86) and the appdata local and roaming folders, then reinstall Chrome.

KedarWolf-AMD 3950x @ CCX 44.50/44.25/43.75/43.25GHZ - Motherboard MSI X570 MEG Unify - G.Skill Trident Z Neo CL16 3600MHZ 2x16GB 14-16-15-13-28 2T - 246 tRFC @ 3800MHZ 1.5v Gear Down Mode Disabled- Gigabyte/EVGA 2X 1080 Ti SLI FTW3 Kingpin Fix BIOS - 2x 1TB Sabrent Gen 4 M.2 System/Storage Drives- PSU Corsair AX1600i - Samsung 49" CHG90 QLED 32:9 Gaming Monitor - Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse- Logitech Lightspeed Mouse Pad
CPU
3950x
Motherboard
MSI X570 MEG Unify
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black EKWB Waterblock And Backplate
GPU
Gigabyte 1080 Ti FE EKWB Waterblock And Backplate
RAM
Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 16-16-16-36 3600
Hard Drive
Sabrient Gen 4 1TB M.2
Hard Drive
Sabrient Gen 4 1TB M.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX1600i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 240
Cooling
EKWB Predator 360
Case
Thermaltake X9
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 19628
Monitor
49" Samsung LC49HG90DMNXZA
Monitor
27" BenQ GW2760
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Mousepad
Logitech Lightspeed
▲ hide details ▲
post #2266 of 2333 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by KedarWolf View Post
To fix the Chrome issue I had to delete all the Chrome folders in Program (x86) and the appdata local and roaming folders, then reinstall Chrome.
I have same problem with reflashing BIOS and black screen in Chrome, but only delete one folder here: AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data and delete ShaderCache folder. Black screen gone, and all other stuff is safe. At least this worked for me with no losing anything.
post #2267 of 2333 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 03:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

I just pickup up a hybrid 1080 Ti, but even after reading through some of this forum, I'm a little uncertain which VBios I should try. I updated the displayport FW and there's no SC2 Hybrid BIOS updates. Using Precision software I can control the fan that actively cools the VRM's etc, but I'm not seeing a way to control pump speed or the rad fan, however rad fan is 3 pin, not PWM 4pin so I'm also assuming pump controller controls rad fan voltage etc. Also, MSI Afterburner fan control seems to do absolutely nothing. None of the fans, nor does the pump spin up, unlike with Precision, the onboard fan does. Would flashing the XOC bios possibly cause issues with the pump controller? It's a hybrid so it has liquid to cool the core and VRAM, and then heatsink/fan only has power to cool. It has EVGA's ICX tech so I can monitor temps on VRM's if I use Precsion software.

post #2268 of 2333 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 08:33 PM
Like a fox!

Quote: Originally Posted by abaker339 View Post
I just pickup up a hybrid 1080 Ti, but even after reading through some of this forum, I'm a little uncertain which VBios I should try. I updated the displayport FW and there's no SC2 Hybrid BIOS updates. Using Precision software I can control the fan that actively cools the VRM's etc, but I'm not seeing a way to control pump speed or the rad fan, however rad fan is 3 pin, not PWM 4pin so I'm also assuming pump controller controls rad fan voltage etc. Also, MSI Afterburner fan control seems to do absolutely nothing. None of the fans, nor does the pump spin up, unlike with Precision, the onboard fan does. Would flashing the XOC bios possibly cause issues with the pump controller? It's a hybrid so it has liquid to cool the core and VRAM, and then heatsink/fan only has power to cool. It has EVGA's ICX tech so I can monitor temps on VRM's if I use Precsion software.
You can but beware that the XOC bios does degrade the card on a 1080 Ti if you run it daily at 1.200v (Source: happened to me). Took about 16 months though. If you intend to replace your card in 16 months or less then have at it.
post #2269 of 2333 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 04:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by abaker339 View Post
I remember that a while back, I flashed FTW3 bios on my Aorus, and MSI Afterburner claimed that the fans run at 27% while in reality they were on 0% (in fact the fans were no longer connected to the GPU because I watercooled the card), so it might give some false readings for you.
Why do you want to flash a new bios? I was also in the boat of "Let's get the best bios, so I could have the best overclock, and best performance!" but an aftermarket 1080ti has very little headroom. 2000/5500 isn't the max but it's not far from it. All bioses overclock the same, only power limit would change. XOC is different, it has access to higher voltage, but it's slower per clock, hitting 2130MHz on XOC gives equivalent performance to something like 2088 on stock.
post #2270 of 2333 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

With XOC bios can I undervolt it to 1.1v etc? Right now I'm power limited and even with thermals at 35-45c under full load, gpuz reports powerlimit/ voltage is preventing card from anymore headroom. Max voltage is 1.0 volt. I had a Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti Xtreme edition that with stock bios, 120% power slider and 50-75% fan speed, it would overclock itself to just under 2100 core. Then again that card had 2 8 pin for power, this hybrid is 1 8pin, 1 6pin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in