SLI 1080Ti causes reboots while 4K gaming (SOLVED: 1000 Watts not enough for OCed 1080Ti's) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

SLI 1080Ti causes reboots while 4K gaming (SOLVED: 1000 Watts not enough for OCed 1080Ti's)

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 64)
I ordered a new PSU, EVGA SuperNova 1000PS, since it was rated to handle everything in my system. It was working well for a week but then when I was playing Wildlands my computer would reboot itself. The reboot did not display any type of error message or BSOD. I kept trying to play WIldlands to figure out if there was any particular scene that would be causing this, but it continued to happen randomly; sometimes 2 minutes of gameplay and other times 30 minutes of gameplay. I tried playing a different game, Killing Floor 2, and again the same issue. I ordered a replacement unit of the PSU and received it yesterday. Sadly, the same issue is occurring again. I filed for a return on the replacement and have now ordered a Corsair 1200HXi.

Things that I have tried:

Tested each GPU one at a time
Reinstalled drivers multiple times using different cleaning methods (Programs/feature; DDU)
Tested with SLI off but both GPU's in the rig
Set everything to stock clocks
Temperatures do not exceed 44c on either GPU, and CPU temperatures never exceed 60c
Ive run multiple passes of memtest 7.3 and all sticks checked out with no errors
Reseated ram and both GPUs

Possible cause for this:

I am hoping that once I get the corsair PSU then the issue will be fixed, but what are the odds that both EVGA PSU's would be duds back to back?
When I was removing the GPU's to install hybrid kits, I may have pulled too hard on my second GPU because it got stuck and possibly damaged my mobo or pcie slot. However, the computer works fine as long as SLI is disabled which leads me to believe that I did not damage the mobo or pcie slot.
A weird issue that pops up is that once in a blue moon my screen will turn black for a few seconds and then come back. This is a single time thing once my computer is on; it does not happen more than once after being powered on unless it's when I am playing a demanding game. Even then it only happens once.

I have never had this much trouble diagnosing a PC issue. It's like an itch that I cant scratch! If anyone has another idea please let me know, or have ran into an issue like this before. Odds are it's the PSU but a 1000watt should be more than enough for my system, and it would be incredible if I really did get back to back duds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:37 AM
4kfan

Rep: 164 (Unique: 143)
Ita unlikely thay two psu will be faulty but it could happen. You could habe an iaaue with the motherboard though. My friend had a very similar issue with his setup after a lighting strike. Some caps on the motherboard got fried and it would work but as soon as he tried to overclock it would shutdown.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolith View Post

Ita unlikely thay two psu will be faulty but it could happen. You could habe an iaaue with the motherboard though. My friend had a very similar issue with his setup after a lighting strike. Some caps on the motherboard got fried and it would work but as soon as he tried to overclock it would shutdown.

I thought that too but it's stable when I run it through P95 and Aida64.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
This definitely sounds more like a motherboard issue to me.

I once had an EVGA motherboard years back and was doing SLI and my PC would reboot constant when my GPUs were under heavy load. Both cards were watercooled so it was not temp related and I went through 3 different Corsair PSUs. Only to find that the 24 pin connector on the motherboard was actually faulty. After replacing the board I never had the same problem again

Here is what my motherboard was doing to my PSU(s)....

It took me months to figure out that my motherboard was actually causing the problem and not the cards or the PSUs
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I hope that's not the problem. Is there any actual way to test for a bad mobo? Im debating on driving down to microcenter and picking up a new one.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
You have already tried different PSUs so I think you can rule that out. Are you using any PSU cable extensions? Ive had problems with extensions in the past. Make sure youre using the cables that came with the PSU

The PCIe slots I wouldn't worry about since you already tested them. It seems like when there is a large power draw on your system, after a while the whole system loses power/becomes unstable.

Have you tried lowering your overclocks a bit? Running CPU and RAM stress tests isnt the same as actually gaming IMO
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 375 (Unique: 336)
I recently responded to thread on a power supply section here at OCN who was having a weird issue like yours, Ghost Recon Wildland's caused their PC to shut down when no other game did. From googling it, it does appear to be somewhat common though no one from Ubi has addressed it yet:

https://www.overclock.net/t/1264890/official-seasonic-platinum-series-owners-club/1250_50#post_26034434

12 Pack
(16 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asrock Z370 Taichi
GPU
1080ti FE
RAM
GSkill Sniper X
Hard Drive
WD Black M.2
Power Supply
Seasonic Platinum
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Case
Dimas Tech Easy V3
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift
Keyboard
Das Keyboard Ultimate
Mouse
Mionix NAOS 7000
CPU
R5 2600
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Gaming K4
GPU
eVGA GTX 780 FTW Dual
GPU
eVGA GTX 780 FTW Dual
RAM
Patriot Viper
Hard Drive
Samsung 970EVO M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 860EVO
Optical Drive
LG DVD burner
Power Supply
Corsair TX850
Cooling
Corsair H115i
Case
Silverstone Raven RV02
Operating System
Win10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung PX2370
Keyboard
Saitek cyborg
Mouse
Mionix Naos 7000
Mousepad
Mionix
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timechange01 View Post

You have already tried different PSUs so I think you can rule that out. Are you using any PSU cable extensions? Ive had problems with extensions in the past. Make sure youre using the cables that came with the PSU

The PCIe slots I wouldn't worry about since you already tested them. It seems like when there is a large power draw on your system, after a while the whole system loses power/becomes unstable.

Have you tried lowering your overclocks a bit? Running CPU and RAM stress tests isnt the same as actually gaming IMO

Yeah I have reset everything to stock and it still reboots.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker033 View Post

I recently responded to thread on a power supply section here at OCN who was having a weird issue like yours, Ghost Recon Wildland's caused their PC to shut down when no other game did. From googling it, it does appear to be somewhat common though no one from Ubi has addressed it yet:

https://www.overclock.net/t/1264890/official-seasonic-platinum-series-owners-club/1250_50#post_26034434

Ive seen the same issue posted on the geforce forums, but I had it happen to me in Killing Floor 2. Ill check some more games when I get out of work.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

One thing I forgot to mention is that I check the event viewer after the reboots and it's the same critical error everytime being Event ID 41 Task (63) "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in