Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 980 Titanium G1- Burnt resistors (Please help me identify values) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 980 Titanium G1- Burnt resistors (Please help me identify values)

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
SO my card recently stopped working and upon taking off the heatsink etc I noticed some burnt components. IN the picture below is a whole product image and I have highlighted in yellow the location of the burnt resistors. (bottom right of image)

In the picture below is a close up. As you can see those two resistors blew up pretty good. They are R172 and R174. The MOSFET above them is questionalble too I think and I cannot find anything on it but I will try and replace with one from the Fairchild family of MOSFETS. I haven't tested it yet but I will do so tonight. I am suspecting anyting in that general close proximity to the resistors that blew.

If somebody has the same card and they could give me the values of those resistors I would be grateful. As a bonus feel free to give me the value of the other two resistors and caps in that general area if you feel generous (R171,R136,C177) tongue.gif

I did search for a schematic but I doubt I will ever find one. And if somebody can give me some tips on how I should go about fixing this card apart from just replacing those resistors that would be AWESOME!!!

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Cheers:thumb:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

maybe I should move this to 980 TI owners club thread?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:20 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
The topic is 980 in the header but sounds like you do have a 980Ti.
Is this not under warranty? You get 3 years... unless you modified it or something...
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Warranty/Graphics-Card
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Warranty

Keep in mind, you're asking someone to not only measure for you but to also tear-down their GPU and measure for you... you could be waiting months if you get any answer at all.

Good luck hope you get it fixed but at least these days it's a only a $350 loss not like when it was $700 thumb.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Linux Lobbyist

The same happened with my g1 gaming 980ti last night. Have you been able to fix it? Or does anyone know what value those resistors are?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
https://www.overclock.net/forum/71-n...-tweaking.html

You can try looking at some of the photos linked in the OP, they may help.
Good luck

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
they are not resistors but ferrite beads, you can just replace them with 0805 0ohm links, and you dont have to use that pair that burned up, you can use the other pair that is normally empty (but do not mix and match or populate all of them, that would short 12v islands)

however, when this happens, it either takes out every component thats using that 12v island (so a lot of mosfets, the vmem pwm controller, the backup power mosfets on the back, the 5v dc2dc APW chip nearby, etc ,etc) and/or it will char the inner layers of the pcb to where you have a short of some 12v island to GND which will make it very hard to repair unless you dremel out all the charcoal before continuing

and even then, it could have sent a 12v spike to the memory when it died, making it permanently artifacting (even if you manage to repair the vrm completely)...
(i bumped this thread because a guy i know just said this exact same thing happened to him a few days ago..., on the same g1 gaming model, mine had it happen in march 2018)

Last edited by rajkosto; 11-28-2018 at 10:35 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:08 PM

Still a Godly card and the ti...it was man..was destroyer at the time I had xfired 270s and stuff and it was awesome in battlefield.
And with the New Driver the 1060 is benching like one in Passmark, not lieing. Right on it pretty much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in