Asus GTX 770 locked at idle clocks with insanely high TDP(430%). Can it be fixed? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus GTX 770 locked at idle clocks with insanely high TDP(430%). Can it be fixed?

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tinderlands View Post
Thank you! Could you also help me with the command line for nvflash? I really don't wanna mess it up relying only on my own knowledge, hehe.
I`m just gonna give you my way of flashing a bios and prepare everything for you in a folder so you wont have to do anything other than execute a file.
Make sure you unzip the zip file. In the folder is the bios I did for you, nvflash.exe, nvflash.sys and a file called "execute". Everything you have to do then is to execute the file called "execute".
Then the nvflash command prompt will open, after a few seconds you will have to press "y". You'll notice when since it will ask you if you are sure and want to proceed.
Before flashing turn off your display drivers.After the flash restart your computer and activate your drivers again.

nvm
Attached Files
File Type: zip hopefullynotbricked770nvflash.zip (1.04 MB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Minium View Post
I`m just gonna give you my way of flashing a bios and prepare everything for you in a folder so you wont have to do anything other than execute a file.
Make sure you unzip the zip file. In the folder is the bios I did for you, nvflash.exe, nvflash.sys and a file called "execute". Everything you have to do then is to execute the file called "execute".
Then the nvflash command prompt will open, after a few seconds you will have to press "y". You'll notice when since it will ask you if you are sure and want to proceed.
Before flashing turn off your display drivers.After the flash restart your computer and activate your drivers again.

nvm
Sorry for the bad edit. I did the flash, but it seems pretty unstable now. Tried running a game twice to see what actually changed and first time the whole system froze, the second time the screen started flickering and went off.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Sorry for the bad edit. I did the flash, but it seems pretty unstable now. Tried running a game twice to see what actually changed and first time the whole system froze, the second time the screen started flickering and went off.
Yeah since the card is at its 98% TDP at idle and you hit it with load, it hits the TDP limit of 100% instantly and just crashes.
To fix this we have to set the TDP even higher. Its now set to 4000W. At idle GPU-Z should now show ~25% . Hit it with load and see what happens (maybe use the GPU-Z render test and see what happens to clocks and the TDP).
Attached Files
File Type: zip hopefullynotbricked770.zip (123.3 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah since the card is at its 98% TDP at idle and you hit it with load, it hits the TDP limit of 100% instantly and just crashes.
To fix this we have to set the TDP even higher. Its now set to 4000W. At idle GPU-Z should now show ~25% . Hit it with load and see what happens (maybe use the GPU-Z render test and see what happens to clocks and the TDP).
Okay, I did the GPU-Z Render test, but the clocks did not change at all, nor did the TDP(it stays at around 25%). I ran it for a few mins without any changes, then I ran CS:GO to see what happens and after a minute or so, the screen went gray and I had to reset the system.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Okay, I did the GPU-Z Render test, but the clocks did not change at all, nor did the TDP(it stays at around 25%). I ran it for a few mins without any changes, then I ran CS:GO to see what happens and after a minute or so, the screen went gray and I had to reset the system.
Hmm, nothing happening to the TDP is understandable because the GPU-Z test is such a low load. But nothing happening to the clocks is weird. Do you know if the clocks changed in CSGO ?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hmm, nothing happening to the TDP is understandable because the GPU-Z test is such a low load. But nothing happening to the clocks is weird. Do you know if the clocks changed in CSGO ?
Clocks and TDP stay the same in CSGO as well. Seems like it won't change from P8.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Clocks and TDP stay the same in CSGO as well. Seems like it won't change from P8.
Its possible to force the card to higher clocks (and eventually the cards normal 3D clocks) in P8 state but I'm afraid the card wont boot anymore if we set it to P0 clocks in P8 state because it hits TDP during the boot process.
We could raise the TDP even more and slowly increase the cards P0 clocks and see what happens to the TDP everytime we increase it a little bit. That way we can fully avoid what I described one line above.
It's on you. Do you want to try it ?

EDIT: The crashing could still be because of the TDP. Since the typical idle power draw is ~20W (even lower I thing maybe 10-15W) and your card shows 430% (980W) at idle, every 980W we increase the power limit results in ~20W more power allowed in the real world. So even with 4000W in the bios, the cards is still only able to hit 80W in the real world before it crashes.

Last edited by Minium; 04-15-2018 at 12:18 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Its possible to force the card to higher clocks (and eventually the cards normal 3D clocks) in P8 state but I'm afraid the card wont boot anymore if we set it to P0 clocks in P8 state because it hits TDP during the boot process.
We could raise the TDP even more and slowly increase the cards P0 clocks and see what happens to the TDP everytime we increase it a little bit. That way we can fully avoid what I described one line above.
It's on you. Do you want to try it ?

EDIT: The crashing could still be because of the TDP. Since the typical idle power draw is ~20W (even lower I thing maybe 10-15W) and your card shows 430% (980W) at idle, every 980W we increase the power limit results in ~20W more power allowed in the real world. So even with 4000W in the bios, the cards is still only able to hit 80W in the real world before it crashes.
Currently I am more prone to think that it might actually be a faulty power controller than a sensor. I might flash the original bios back and take it to some hardware repairs place to have it checked, cuz it is surely not dead. I read a thread on the NVIDIA forums talking about the exact same GPU with the exact same issue getting fixed by changing a fried controller, which is rather cheap.

Anyway, for now I will stick to having the hardware checked. Thank you very much for your help though, I really appreciate it and I've learnt quite a few things! Thanks!

I will update the thread once I have it checked(which might not be soon, but I will do my best).
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:12 AM
hkgamer

Currently I am more prone to think that it might actually be a faulty power controller than a sensor. I might flash the original bios back and take it to some hardware repairs place to have it checked, cuz it is surely not dead. I read a thread on the NVIDIA forums talking about the exact same GPU with the exact same issue getting fixed by changing a fried controller, which is rather cheap.

Anyway, for now I will stick to having the hardware checked. Thank you very much for your help though, I really appreciate it and I've learnt quite a few things! Thanks!

I will update the thread once I have it checked(which might not be soon, but I will do my best).
Hello! I'd like to ask you what kind of hardware your GPU ended up with, such as what chip broke, and I have the same question as you

HKGAMER
CPU INTEL Xeon E31270 @ 3.40GHz
MOTHERBORAD gigabyte Z77P-D3
RAM 12 GB ( DDR3 1600MHz / DDR3 1600MHz )
SSD SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB HDD ST2000DM001-1ER164 ( 2 TB / 7200 )
GPU NVDIA GeForce GTX1070 (8 GB/msi)
POWERS cooler master mwe 500w

Tags
Asus , Gtx , gtx770 , Nvidia , tdp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in