Asus GTX 770 locked at idle clocks with insanely high TDP(430%). Can it be fixed? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus GTX 770 locked at idle clocks with insanely high TDP(430%). Can it be fixed?

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Question Asus GTX 770 locked at idle clocks with insanely high TDP(430%). Can it be fixed?

Hello guys,

I got my hands on a fairly good(and a bit old) gaming PC recently. Everything seems to work fine, except for one thing - the Asus GTX 770(a Direct CU II model, 2GB DDR5) that is inside it. The card is surely not dead yet, as it boots up normally and there is zero artifacts/screen glitches. The problem with it is that it is locked at idle clock speeds, which I believe is caused by the 430% TDP shown by GPU-Z and EVGA Precission. The core clock is at 135 MHz and the memory clock is at 162 MHz and they won't change under any load. I guess it is the card's "defense mechanism".

I have tried a few simple things, as at first I thought it was a bad clock/driver issue:

- I sweeped all the drivers and installed the latest 391.35
- I reseated the GPU
- I reset the CMOS
- I played around with the power management settings both in Windows and in NVIDIA's settings

Sadly, none of those worked(as I expected). The drivers doesn't seem to be a problem. It also seems that this is not caused by a bad overclock, as both the clock speed and the voltage are at stock.

I have read a few threads here and there about this issue and I saw somebody mentioning a fix with power management tweaking with Kepler BIOS Tweaker. This, however, is the breaking point for me as I will likely kill the GPU completely, as I have no idea on what and how to edit the VBIOS.

So, to sum up, it seems it is more like some faulty hardware part(maybe a power controller?). My questions here are as follows:

Have you guys had similar issues?
Is there any way to reduce the insane 430% TDP, so the clocks are not locked?
Do you guys have any idea what harware fault may cause this and can it be fixed/changed?
Is there any way to "somewhat" fix this by tweaking the VBIOS?

I am looking forward to any answers, so keep them coming! I really hope there is some fix or workaround to this! Also, thanks for you time!

Best regards!

P.S. I can't post any pictures of GPU-Z as I am a free/new user.

P.S.S. I now added the pictures from GPU-Z.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.gif
Views:	33
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	150249  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.gif
Views:	31
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	150257  

Last edited by Tinderlands; 04-14-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tinderlands View Post
Hello guys,

I got my hands on a fairly good(and a bit old) gaming PC recently. Everything seems to work fine, except for one thing - the Asus GTX 770(a Direct CU II model, 2GB DDR5) that is inside it. The card is surely not dead yet, as it boots up normally and there is zero artifacts/screen glitches. The problem with it is that it is locked at idle clock speeds, which I believe is caused by the 430% TDP shown by GPU-Z and EVGA Precission. The core clock is at 135 MHz and the memory clock is at 162 MHz and they won't change under any load. I guess it is the card's "defense mechanism".

I have tried a few simple things, as at first I thought it was a bad clock/driver issue:

- I sweeped all the drivers and installed the latest 391.35
- I reseated the GPU
- I reset the CMOS
- I played around with the power management settings both in Windows and in NVIDIA's settings

Sadly, none of those worked(as I expected). The drivers doesn't seem to be a problem. It also seems that this is not caused by a bad overclock, as both the clock speed and the voltage are at stock.

I have read a few threads here and there about this issue and I saw somebody mentioning a fix with power management tweaking with Kepler BIOS Tweaker. This, however, is the breaking point for me as I will likely kill the GPU completely, as I have no idea on what and how to edit the VBIOS.

So, to sum up, it seems it is more like some faulty hardware part(maybe a power controller?). My questions here are as follows:

Have you guys had similar issues?
Is there any way to reduce the insane 430% TDP, so the clocks are not locked?
Do you guys have any idea what harware fault may cause this and can it be fixed/changed?
Is there any way to "somewhat" fix this by tweaking the VBIOS?

I am looking forward to any answers, so keep them coming! I really hope there is some fix or workaround to this! Also, thanks for you time!

Best regards!

P.S. I can't post any pictures of GPU-Z as I am a free/new user.
If GPU-Z is showing 430% TDP and the card locks to P8 clocks, it has to be a bad sensor on the card. Reducing the reading of 430% should be possible by raising the TDP in the bios to the maximum but the sensor could l still read above 100% even with 999W theoretical TDP. You would need to test it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Minium View Post
If GPU-Z is showing 430% TDP and the card locks to P8 clocks, it has to be a bad sensor on the card. Reducing the reading of 430% should be possible by raising the TDP in the bios to the maximum but the sensor could l still read above 100% even with 999W theoretical TDP. You would need to test it.
Hmm, sounds viable. But is there any chance to mess things up by raising the TDP so high? I am kinda inexperienced and I don't want to brake it completely, yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hello guys!

Could I get some more suggestions or maybe more details on how exactly to play around with the TDP in the VBIOS?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Hello guys!

Could I get some more suggestions or maybe more details on how exactly to play around with the TDP in the VBIOS?
Rasing TDP so high wont harm your card at all. It wont pull more power than usual.
You can just post yopur bios and I'll do it for you. Hard to explain to someone new to bios modding.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rasing TDP so high wont harm your card at all. It wont pull more power than usual.
You can just post yopur bios and I'll do it for you. Hard to explain to someone new to bios modding.
There it is. Also, thanks for offering your help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip GK104.zip (123.3 KB, 6 views)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:24 AM
Linux Lobbyist

There it is. Also, thanks for offering your help!
Whats the max percentage you can set the TDP slider in MSI AB.So I can identify what value I have to adjust.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Whats the max percentage you can set the TDP slider in MSI AB.So I can identify what value I have to adjust.
MSI AB allows it to go up to 110%.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Linux Lobbyist

MSI AB allows it to go up to 110%.
OK. So your stock 100% TDP is 228W.Since GPU-Z is showing 430% the card thinks its pulling 980W. To start I raised the TDP to 999W. After flashing the bios, GPU-Z should show around 95-99% TDP. If so, the card could also be at a bit higher clocks and not lock to P8. If one or even both of these things happen, we can try to completely fix the card by raising the TDP even more until the card doesnt go over 100% and doesnt throttle.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hopefullynotbricked770.zip (123.3 KB, 11 views)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK. So your stock 100% TDP is 228W.Since GPU-Z is showing 430% the card thinks its pulling 980W. To start I raised the TDP to 999W. After flashing the bios, GPU-Z should show around 95-99% TDP. If so, the card could also be at a bit higher clocks and not lock to P8. If one or even both of these things happen, we can try to completely fix the card by raising the TDP even more until the card doesnt go over 100% and doesnt throttle.
Thank you very much! I flashed it and so far it works fine. GPU-Z now shows around 98%. What I noticed so far is that when I try to stress the card a bit, the PC freezes. This all so far.

Last edited by Tinderlands; 04-15-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Tags
Asus , Gtx , gtx770 , Nvidia , tdp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in