[Official] NVIDIA RTX 2070 Owner's Club - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA RTX 2070 Owner's Club

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #41 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:35 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
GunnzAkimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 553
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
are you capable of contributing an answer to an inquiry, or is too difficult for your single digit IQ ?

Lian Li D8000, MSI Godlike, 5960X, 32GB DDR4 2666C14, MSI GTX 980 ti, 24 HDs/SSDs, Noctua NHD15S, 55" KS8000
GunnzAkimbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:26 AM
Dumbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by boi801 View Post
Just tested this bios from gigabyte
The Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce only has support for 1 fan controller and your MSI card 2 that's why probably only 1 fan gets controlled when you use the Gigabyte bios.

Quote: Originally Posted by GunnzAkimbo View Post
MSI Gaming Z a good performer?
The MSI Gaming Z has a max boost clock of around 1900/1980mhz without overclocking (depending on your lottery luck), my MSI Armor RTX2070 has 1995mhz when overclocking it to it's stable limits, I don't know if it is worth the 120 euro (in my country) price difference between those two cards, and if the cooling on the Gaming Z is a lot better and more quiet.

Considering that you will overclock the Gaming Z you will probably win just a few fps over the overclocked Armor RTX2070 (and have a 400A chip) but it will cost you more.

One small detail on the MSI card that I noticed is that there is a "Warranty void" sticker on one of the screws on the back of the card, so if you want to refresh your thermal paste in let's say a year you will most likely void your remaining 2 year warranty by doing so. (I'm not sure if this screw is attached to just the backplate or if it also needs to be removed for refreshing the thermal paste.)

I found a RTX 2070 comparison review here but it's in Dutch: https://tweakers.net/reviews/6611/13...equenties.html

Quote: Originally Posted by boi801 View Post
I now, and its unacceptably low...
Gaming on 4k requires a lot more power from your card so 144hz is almost impossible to reach in some modern games like Battlefield V with a RTX2070, some people just prefer better looking games over higher fps / refresh rates, you can't argue over this because everyone makes that decision for them selfs.

I'm receiving my OC card with a 400A chip today, so i'll post some overclock results later on compared to the MSI Armor RTX 2070 (400 chip).

Last edited by Milkmano; 11-14-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Milkmano is offline  
post #43 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
DStealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 869
Rep: 25 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by boi801 View Post
Just tested this bios from gigabyte:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...70-8192-180918
Board power - limit Target: 215.0 W - Limit: 240.0 W

Its the best one I tried but still doesn't do much for may case... Its more stable even at +170 but one of the fans stays as 30%, so the card goes up to 56ºC and the same boost I had... I rather do the same with +150 at 48ºC ...

This bios is from a nonA chip.
Zotac AMP Extreme is better - https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...70-8192-180924.
Flashed it to my son's card. Can stay stable 2040 GPU with 16200 memory in benchmarks and 24/7 2025/16k game stable while sub 60*. GB BIOS gives lower results with higher temps...dunno why this happens. It's 1F07 a.k.a. A chip tho ...but not fully satisfied with the overclock of it.
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4993759
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP6020.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	231362  


.
DStealth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:55 AM
Kraust
 
Secret Dragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 257
Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by GunnzAkimbo View Post
MSI Gaming Z a good performer?

Looks like it to me from the techpowerup review, and not going to spend $800+ AUD for a 2nd hand 1080ti with no warranty (the warranty for my 5960X has been priceless with 3 dead in a couple of years - warranty is not something to pass up on anymore).

So, it's $1069 AUD (above my budget but going to scrape it together), pushing a 55" KS8000 4K (currently using a 980ti) on a godlike mobo.

I'm running games at 4k with the 980ti (detail settings tweaked to stick 60fps).
All of the reviews point to it being the best card, but I don't think we have many samples of the "top tier" cards to really say if it is the best or not. I've been very surprised that this cycle has had very few reviews, where most of them are on specific models like the Gaming Z, and no reviews of other models you'd expect to see reviews of like the Gigabyte AORUS ones.

Quote: Originally Posted by DStealth View Post
GB BIOS gives lower results with higher temps...dunno why this happens. It's 1F07 a.k.a. A chip tho ...but not fully satisfied with the overclock of it.
Isn't the boosting algorithm is temperature sensitive giving higher clocks at lower temps?

hwbot - currently not active.
Secret Dragoon is offline  
post #45 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:04 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
DStealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 869
Rep: 25 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by Secret Dragoon View Post
Isn't the boosting algorithm is temperature sensitive giving higher clocks at lower temps?
Yes, that's the results make of sense But temperatures wise the same voltage and clock while not PT limited gives much higher temperatures. Maybe the fan control of some kind. As fan speed measurements seems relatively similar with them both....

.
DStealth is offline  
post #46 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
boi801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by boi801 View Post
I now, and its unacceptably low... I will not call the high-refresh-rate-police this time...
English is not my main language, but I think it was obvious that it was a joke... and for that I'm sorry.

Quote: Originally Posted by GunnzAkimbo View Post
are you capable of contributing an answer to an inquiry, or is too difficult for your single digit IQ ?
"single digit IQ"? I am sorry also.

Its hard for me to truly game at low refresh rate, its slideshow gaming, again, I'm sorry.

boi801 is offline  
post #47 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
GunnzAkimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 553
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Yer i think the gaming Z is quite an ideal vid card for the price and it's very close to 1080ti performance.

The Gaming Z was dropped to $999 AUD at a local shop ($80 saving). Still don't have the funds for it yet.
Prefer the gaming Z card, the armor OC is $100 less, the armor is $829.

Lian Li D8000, MSI Godlike, 5960X, 32GB DDR4 2666C14, MSI GTX 980 ti, 24 HDs/SSDs, Noctua NHD15S, 55" KS8000
GunnzAkimbo is offline  
post #48 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:28 AM
Dumbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
Rep: 0
Here are some test results of my 400 vs 400A chip cards, I used Unigine Heaven Extreme for 15 minutes to see which card maintains the highest max boost core clocks around 73c/163f:

Gigabyte RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8G (GV-N2070GAMING OC-8GC) (400A Chip) (620 euro)
2025mhz crashes in a few seconds.
+85 Core (130% Powerlimit) (15880mhz Memory) (74c/165f)
1980mhz 1068mV (only saw 1068mV for a few seconds)
1965mhz 1050mV
1950mhz 1043mV
1935mhz 1037mV

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8G (GV-N2070WF3-8GC) (400 Chip) (529 euro)
2070mhz crashes in a few seconds.
+180 Core (110% Powerlimit) (15622mhz Memory) (73c/163f)
2040mhz 1050mV

MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8GB (V373-014R) (400 Chip) (529 euro)
2040mhz crashes in a few seconds.
+175 Core (114% Powerlimit) (15662mhz Memory) (74c/165f)
1980mhz 1050mV
1965mhz 1031mV
1950mhz 1018mV

As you can see the (maximum stable) overclock differences are minor, and it will all depend on whether you receive a golden chip or not, even if you receive a golden 400A chip you will still only get around a 2000mhz clock because the chip itself just can't push much further.

I have decided to stay with the MSI RTX 2070 because it even performs better than the Gigabyte Gaming OC overclocked in miscellaneous benchmarks, uses less power, has a more silent cooling solution and is 90 euro cheaper.

The Gigabyte Windforce overclocked just a bit better than my MSI card but I traded it in for the MSI card because it had a fan issue, luckily a 40/60mhz overclock difference on the core is barely noticeable in gaming.

While gaming the max core boost jumps around a lot based on your cards usage, sometimes it may be clocked at 2010mhz and the other second it may only be 1980mhz with the same overclock settings depending on your temperatures and allowed power usage.

I wish you all the best of luck overclocking your RTX 2070 cards and hope this simple comparison may help you make a decision purchasing a new card.
Milkmano is offline  
post #49 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
boi801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Milkmano View Post
Here are some test results of my 400 vs 400A chip cards, I used Unigine Heaven Extreme for 15 minutes to see which card maintains the highest max boost core clocks around 73c/163f:

Gigabyte RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8G (GV-N2070GAMING OC-8GC) (400A Chip) (620 euro)
2025mhz crashes in a few seconds.
+85 Core (130% Powerlimit) (15880mhz Memory) (74c/165f)
1980mhz 1068mV (only saw 1068mV for a few seconds)
1965mhz 1050mV
1950mhz 1043mV
1935mhz 1037mV

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8G (GV-N2070WF3-8GC) (400 Chip) (529 euro)
2070mhz crashes in a few seconds.
+180 Core (110% Powerlimit) (15622mhz Memory) (73c/163f)
2040mhz 1050mV

MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8GB (V373-014R) (400 Chip) (529 euro)
2040mhz crashes in a few seconds.
+175 Core (114% Powerlimit) (15662mhz Memory) (74c/165f)
1980mhz 1050mV
1965mhz 1031mV
1950mhz 1018mV

As you can see the (maximum stable) overclock differences are minor, and it will all depend on whether you receive a golden chip or not, even if you receive a golden 400A chip you will still only get around a 2000mhz clock because the chip itself just can't push much further.

I have decided to stay with the MSI RTX 2070 because it even performs better than the Gigabyte Gaming OC overclocked in miscellaneous benchmarks, uses less power, has a more silent cooling solution and is 90 euro cheaper.

The Gigabyte Windforce overclocked just a bit better than my MSI card but I traded it in for the MSI card because it had a fan issue, luckily a 40/60mhz overclock difference on the core is barely noticeable in gaming.

While gaming the max core boost jumps around a lot based on your cards usage, sometimes it may be clocked at 2010mhz and the other second it may only be 1980mhz with the same overclock settings depending on your temperatures and allowed power usage.

I wish you all the best of luck overclocking your RTX 2070 cards and hope this simple comparison may help you make a decision purchasing a new card.
Thanks for that effort in testing those cards, but I would like you to test one more scenario with the fans at 100% open case or something, to test the impact of -10 or 20ºC on boost clocks, because my Armor non-OC non-A in a open case 100% fans 48ºC with +150core goes up to 2040MHz.
Thanks.

boi801 is offline  
post #50 of 224 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Dumbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 10
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by boi801 View Post
Thanks for that effort in testing those cards.
I already returned the card to the store so I can't test the card at 100% fan speed anymore, the Gigabyte RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8G already started crashing on 2025mhz no matter how the temperature was.

To overclock my cards I always keep running Unigine Heaven Extreme in the background to increase the core clock speed and MSI Kombuster with artifact detection on for the memory speed.

The only stable core clock setting was +85 because on this clock it kept just below 2025mhz reaching 1980/2010mhz as it's max boost clock, setting the core clock to +90 was not stable because the core clock would sometimes reach 2025mhz and crash Unigine and 3DMark within seconds no matter how high I set the Core voltage and Power limit, the temperature also didn't matter even if the card was only around 55c/131f it would just crash because the chip seemingly couldn't go any higher.

In the test above I manually adjusted the fan speed to get the same temperatures to get more equal results.
Milkmano is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off