[Official] NVIDIA RTX 2080 / SUPER Owner's Club - Page 53 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA RTX 2080 / SUPER Owner's Club

post #521 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello everyone, everything good?

I'm about to receive this card

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=1064&lang=en

Rtx 2080 Super Gainward GLH, where I live (Brazil) is not very well known, what can you tell me about her? has 1860 boost clock

What bios can I put to improve performance? Want to have the best possible overclock, is 2100 mhz stable possible? What do you recommend me?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 191 (Unique: 128)
Changing the BIOS does not help overclock, they raise the power limit. This raises the max clocks under load, if you were hitting the power limit, but does not raise your max overclock.
post #523 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Changing the BIOS does not help overclock, they raise the power limit. This raises the max clocks under load, if you were hitting the power limit, but does not raise your max overclock.

really wanted to increase the power limit, I had a msi 2080 ti that with the new bios reached 405 w, does that help?

Wanted to know which bios could put to release more energy = power limit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #524 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:50 AM
Portgas D. Ace

Rep: 315 (Unique: 240)
Quote: Originally Posted by Fluxmaven View Post
So... I realize that this is really dumb, but I wanted to test out my new 2080 against the 1080 in this rig without draining the loop.
Ghetto rigging is hilarious, but whatever works. Weeb sticker art is a nice touch.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #525 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:00 AM
I can count to potato

Rep: 19 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by keikei View Post
Ghetto rigging is hilarious, but whatever works. Weeb sticker art is a nice touch.
Gotta do what you gotta do. It's hard out here for a pimp. New build is in the works so really no reason to put much effort into this one. Going back to a full tower case so I have room for more weeb stickers
post #526 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hi, I just wanted to drop by and say that I upgraded to an "ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Advanced Overclocked" card last month, and I'm very content with the card. If anyone's been wondering about this card, below are my impressions so far.

The card is extremely cool. If you don't overclock it (just leave it at stock), it never goes over 50-60 C. If you do overclock it, it never goes over 60-70 C. Either way, the fans are super silent even on Performance Mode, so you don't need to enable Silent Mode.

The best I could push the card in MSI Afterburner was +70 MHz on the Core and +1150 MHz on the Memory, full stability (no crashes or glitches) after hours of gameplay and mixed computer use. Of course, this is YMMV. If I push Core to +80 MHz, *some* games will fail to load successfully, or might need a few tries to do so. With Core at +90 MHz, some games will just plain refuse to load. If I push Memory to +1300 MHz, *some* games may close (crash) without any errors stated after a few minutes of gameplay. With Memory at +1200 MHz, crashes are much rarer, but can still happen after prolonged sessions.

In terms of pure Heaven Unigine benchmarking, I was able to test the card at +100 MHz on Core and +1300 MHz on the Memory without any issues. Of course, this is not real-world usage. But that's just to give you an idea for how much potential headroom there might be if silicon lottery favours you. If I pushed Memory to +1500 MHz, the graphics driver would instantly crash and restart. With this card (and probably most others), don't hesitate to immediately push it to +50 MHz on the Core and +1000 MHz Memory right off the bat. Unless you're *really* unlucky, you should be stable on these clocks. I didn't notice any decrease in performance as the Memory clock pushed past this point.

Keep in mind: With the RTX 2080 SUPER, a difference of a few dozen on the Core or a few hundred on the Memory *really* doesn't matter. You're only going to see single digit differences in FPS at most, which really doesn't mean anything. You'll do better toning down the graphics in games. If you emphasize longevity, don't hesitate to stay below your card's achievable max.

I'm not a hardware expert or anything, but if anyone has questions about this card, feel free to ask. I spent quite a lot of time comparing cards in the RTX 2080 SUPER line before buying, and ultimately took the dive on this slightly pricier card for its silent and cool fans. And I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Last edited by Ichirou; 09-05-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #527 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ichirou View Post
Hi, I just wanted to drop by and say that I upgraded to an "ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Advanced Overclocked" card last month, and I'm very content with the card. If anyone's been wondering about this card, below are my impressions so far.

The card is extremely cool. If you don't overclock it (just leave it at stock), it never goes over 50-60 C. If you do overclock it, it never goes over 60-70 C. Either way, the fans are super silent even on Performance Mode, so you don't need to enable Silent Mode.

The best I could push the card in MSI Afterburner was +70 MHz on the Core and +1150 MHz on the Memory, full stability (no crashes or glitches) after hours of gameplay and mixed computer use. Of course, this is YMMV. If I push Core to +80 MHz, *some* games will fail to load successfully, or might need a few tries to do so. With Core at +90 MHz, some games will just plain refuse to load. If I push Memory to +1300 MHz, *some* games may close (crash) without any errors stated after a few minutes of gameplay. With Memory at +1200 MHz, crashes are much rarer, but can still happen after prolonged sessions.

In terms of pure Heaven Unigine benchmarking, I was able to test the card at +100 MHz on Core and +1300 MHz on the Memory without any issues. Of course, this is not real-world usage. But that's just to give you an idea for how much potential headroom there might be if silicon lottery favours you. If I pushed Memory to +1500 MHz, the graphics driver would instantly crash and restart. With this card (and probably most others), don't hesitate to immediately push it to +50 MHz on the Core and +1000 MHz Memory right off the bat. Unless you're *really* unlucky, you should be stable on these clocks. I didn't notice any decrease in performance as the Memory clock pushed past this point.

Keep in mind: With the RTX 2080 SUPER, a difference of a few dozen on the Core or a few hundred on the Memory *really* doesn't matter. You're only going to see single digit differences in FPS at most, which really doesn't mean anything. You'll do better toning down the graphics in games. If you emphasize longevity, don't hesitate to stay below your card's achievable max.

I'm not a hardware expert or anything, but if anyone has questions about this card, feel free to ask. I spent quite a lot of time comparing cards in the RTX 2080 SUPER line before buying, and ultimately took the dive on this slightly pricier card for its silent and cool fans. And I don't regret the purchase one bit.
Port Royal is what EVGA use to test OC stability if ya check the gaming nexus visit when they had the aio 2080 ti setup.
They looped it continuously.

Lian Li D8000, MSI Godlike, 5960X 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR4 2666C14, MSI RTX 2080S GXT, 24 HDs/SSDs, Noctua NHD15S, 55" KS8000
post #528 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Born to ride

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)

I was thinking of buying the same card
do you have the A8G variant? Can you tell me the max W power limit it has?
thanks

My PC: - Asus Crosshair VII Hero- 2700X - 2x8 Gskill 3200 cl15- RX 5700XT Pulse - AX760 - Asus PG279Q - Corsair C70 Military Green
post #529 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by GunnzAkimbo View Post
Port Royal is what EVGA use to test OC stability if ya check the gaming nexus visit when they had the aio 2080 ti setup.
They looped it continuously.
Benchmark tests for stability aren't the same as real-world tests; I could probably set higher clocks for both the Core and Memory and pass benchmark tests just fine. There's a reason why I listed both values in case anybody was curious. I have full stability at +70 and +1150 right now, but if I set higher values on either one, I will experience crashing in some games.

For example, even if I can do +1200 MHz on the Memory clock, I'd rather not have it potentially crash after 1-2 hours of gameplay. It's minor, sure, but I want stability and don't really care about the average ~2 FPS difference. In Heaven Unigine, every +100 MHz boost for the Memory clock seemed to push FPS higher by like, 2~3 FPS at best. It's significant with the initial jump of +1000 MHz, but not worth trading stability for +50 MHz in my case.

Quote: Originally Posted by poliacido View Post
I was thinking of buying the same card
do you have the A8G variant? Can you tell me the max W power limit it has?
thanks
It is this one: https://www.newegg.ca/asus-geforce-r...82E16814126336

So yeah, A8G. The O8G isn't available for sale in Newegg Canada, so I couldn't get it. But honestly, I don't think it matters. From my research, all of the top-end 2080 SUPER cards have very similar frames after overclocking. Maybe a difference of 3~5 FPS at best between cards. Buy based on heat and noise.

As for the power limit, I have it set to 125% in MSI Afterburner. Frankly, I don't even think the 2080 SUPER manages to actually push that much though. You start experiencing instability long before any power issues arise. From what I've seen among various aftermarket cards, reviewers have really only managed to push the 2080 SUPER to roughly the +50 to 100 range for Core, and the +1000 to +1200 range for Memory. It's probably a limitation with the card itself.

Again, if I haven't made it clear enough, the difference in FPS is negligible after you've overclocked it to those ranges. You won't see meaningful gains (if you even see them) by squeezing out another +10 or +100 on the Core or Memory clocks. Concentrate on stability.
post #530 of 550 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 42)

Hey I just bought this exact same card 2 days ago from Canada Computers. Tbh I wanted the EVGA 2080 Super Ultra version instead as ive almost always bought EVGA. Loved their designs and cooling performance and how quiet they are. But they are sold out everywhere so I took a chance on this one for same price. After a lot for research I jumped on it. And my experience basically is same as yours. It's stupid cool and quiet even on OC bios mode. I've so far only put 75mhz on the core and 1000 on the memory and it doesn't go above 68C for me. What I will say is it hits 129% power target quite frequently when I'm gaming (hardware coded power target for this card?) And then it scaled clocks down. And that's not even at anywhere near 100% usage. Playing control at 4K max settings with a 30FPS cap at 60-70% GPU usage, power target still hit 129% some scenes. So effectively drops my core clock to 2020mhz down from 2075mhz. So the extra core clock I added doesn't seem to really matter.

I don't recall my GTX 1080 having this much of an issue with reaching max power limit so easily. Could also be the game itself is demanding as all hell. And turning RTX ON... Jesus... Forget about fps haha.

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in