[Official] NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti Owner's Club - Page 1161 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti Owner's Club

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11601 of 11705 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 09:38 PM
Invalid Media
 
J7SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,798
Rep: 81 (Unique: 33)
There is a DLSS feature test in the advanced version of 3DM...it's basically 2x PortRoyal, with and without DLSS. Not the be-all, end-all but at least it is something for folks to test their new 2080 Ti with
J7SC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11602 of 11705 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 10:47 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Gandyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Been messing with Metro Exodus last day, testing different settings for quality and performance.
Borrowd a friends 2080 super, played 6 hours without a single crash with dlss on. Put my 2080ti back in, 3 crashes in 20 minutes. turned dlss off, played the rest of the night with no issues.

I tried with as much negative on the core as afterburner would allow and fans on 100% with no change.

Could there be a an issue with the 16gb/s Micron RAM that MSI put on the gaming Z over the all the other 2080tis? That kind of thing is way beyond my knowledge.

Submitted a DOA RMA request with the help of my supplier MSI said they would honor my testing as evidence and issue a replacement card. Should arrive Mon/Tues next week

I guess if it does it with the new one then ... oops?
Gandyman is offline  
post #11603 of 11705 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 01:14 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Madness11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
Rep: 0
Did you manually overclock or update the bios? Have you tried reinstalling Nvidia drivers and running the card stock ?[/QUOTE]
Hi , no , card work full stock . No oc , no update bios . Every game , randomly have this flickering or flashing .
Madness11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11604 of 11705 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11,134
Rep: 364 (Unique: 261)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gandyman View Post
Borrowd a friends 2080 super, played 6 hours without a single crash with dlss on. Put my 2080ti back in, 3 crashes in 20 minutes. turned dlss off, played the rest of the night with no issues.

I tried with as much negative on the core as afterburner would allow and fans on 100% with no change.

Could there be a an issue with the 16gb/s Micron RAM that MSI put on the gaming Z over the all the other 2080tis? That kind of thing is way beyond my knowledge.

Submitted a DOA RMA request with the help of my supplier MSI said they would honor my testing as evidence and issue a replacement card. Should arrive Mon/Tues next week

I guess if it does it with the new one then ... oops?
Faulty tensor cores. There are other applications that can leverage those for a non gaming use, I don't have any though. Those will likely also crash on your card.

At least you can get it replaced easily and directly. For me it would likely end up with a... seller/large shop runs Firestrike/Timespy a few times or as a stress test, deems it stable and sends it back as not defective. Only for the card to be sent back again with the same problem explanation, complaining about their incompetence and improper testing and not even bothering to send it up the supply channel to be replaced. I've had something like that with the DPC latency problems before, they just don't care about "niche" aspects/features of the sold products or even know how to properly test them even when told how it was checked and determined that it's faulty, be it a faulty hardware or faulty software, what's the difference anyway with a GPU, we pay for hardware and the software (driver), one is useless without the other working correctly.

Some cards have Micron some have Samsung VRAM chips, from any brand, even the same model can have both depending on when it was made quite likely. It's all about what is available from the supply chain.
They both clock about same but Samsung may have lower variance and usually it's the one that gets binned for top end cards.
JackCY is offline  
post #11605 of 11705 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:52 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
0451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,275
Rep: 46 (Unique: 41)
I switched to the XOC bios and had some fun with 3DMark. It didn't recognize my processor so I am not in the hall of fame
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/290965
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11139.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	363526  


Smallblock Power
(10 items)
CPU
Core i7 10700K
Motherboard
MSI Z490 Unify
GPU
2080ti K|NGP|N
RAM
Patriot Viper Steel 4400
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Power Supply
EVGA 1200 P2
Cooling
5 Radiators
Cooling
2 Pumps
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Monitor
Samsung CF791 34"
▲ hide details ▲
0451 is offline  
post #11606 of 11705 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:24 PM
 
 
MrTOOSHORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location:  Edmonton
Posts: 12,936
Rep: 1529 (Unique: 1056)
Quote: Originally Posted by 0451 View Post
I switched to the XOC bios and had some fun with 3DMark. It didn't recognize my processor so I am not in the hall of fame
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/290965
That's a great score, congrats!

10980XE  •  APEX VI  •  3600 4x16GB  •  KPE 2080TI HC  • 34GK950F-B • 905P AIC • 1600T2  •  800D


MrTOOSHORT is offline  
post #11607 of 11705 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Gandyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
At least you can get it replaced easily and directly. For me it would likely end up with a... seller/large shop runs Firestrike/Timespy a few times or as a stress test, deems it stable and sends it back as not defective. Only for the card to be sent back again with the same problem explanation, complaining about their incompetence and improper testing and not even bothering to send it up the supply channel to be replaced. I've had something like that with the DPC latency problems before, they just don't care about "niche" aspects/features of the sold products or even know how to properly test them even when told how it was checked and determined that it's faulty, be it a faulty hardware or faulty software, what's the difference anyway with a GPU, we pay for hardware and the software (driver), one is useless without the other working correctly
I run a small PC repair/building store and have a good relationship with my supplier. I called him basically said word for word what you said there, that if I send back this 2200 AUD GPU they will run firestrike for 30 mins and go 'seems fine' and send it back. He said he understands 100% and will see what he can do, he emailed MSI directly and kept me CC'd. He relayed that I had done over 30 hours of testing to determine that the tensor cores being faulty is the only logical conclusion. The RA director of MSI Australia emailed him back and said she would approve the RMA request and sent him an authorization.

So I guess I was lucky, more about who you know than who you are in life I've found. Just need the right friends.

You watch my new one will arrive tomorrow and do the same thing lol -- just my luck.

Incredibly off topic but what monitor are you using now? I really appreciate all the info you gave me on the LG thread.

Cheers
Gandyman is offline  
post #11608 of 11705 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11,134
Rep: 364 (Unique: 261)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gandyman View Post
I run a small PC repair/building store and have a good relationship with my supplier. I called him basically said word for word what you said there, that if I send back this 2200 AUD GPU they will run firestrike for 30 mins and go 'seems fine' and send it back. He said he understands 100% and will see what he can do, he emailed MSI directly and kept me CC'd. He relayed that I had done over 30 hours of testing to determine that the tensor cores being faulty is the only logical conclusion. The RA director of MSI Australia emailed him back and said she would approve the RMA request and sent him an authorization.

So I guess I was lucky, more about who you know than who you are in life I've found. Just need the right friends.

You watch my new one will arrive tomorrow and do the same thing lol -- just my luck.

Incredibly off topic but what monitor are you using now? I really appreciate all the info you gave me on the LG thread.

Cheers
Yep. I've had similar good experience when dealing with manufacturer directly, that was only after bad experience with the shop well rather bad experience with the manufacturer's local service center who kept sending back replacement cards (old card at that point, out of production) that were physically not OK or even pluggable to how bent the I/O metal bracket was. Once one goes high enough it's usually fine, but dealing with the "peons" who like most people get worked to death at low wages, scrutinized for anything not being done the cheapest way possible, the system fails there. And this has been a recurring theme for many brands especially when they had to deal with extra RMAs, bulk RMAs from miners. Once I got hold of Taiwan HQ customer service on their forum... with photos of what was being sent back from the service center, how long the whole ordeal is taking (months) when the problem could have been resolved quickly and satisfactory with a refund or offer of a sidegrade/upgrade when they don't have the same card anymore in good enough condition. They approved refund, called the service center and suddenly it was no problem and service center behavior turned around 180 degrees, I bet they were a bit surprised to get a talking to from above from Taiwan HQ and customers should not be required to tell these stories publicly on forums, twitter, etc. in an attempt to get hold of someone competent enough at the company to resolve problems.

Some shops are fine and they will swap products or sent it up the channel right away and make you wait but that's better because at least someone more competent than shop technician may look at the card and test it. There is nothing wrong with a shop doing the testing but when it's out of their expertise/knowledge/skill they should send it up the channel or at least read what the customer writes the problem is haha.

Another time, another shop I sent a card back within 14 days, regular return and refund, no card issue. They put the card on a shelf, lost the accompanying paper document, 14 days go by still no refund received, write them and they reply "we were wondering what is this card here, there is no document with it, is it broken?", resent document, no card issue, resolved. But again, I had to intervene due to error on their side.

3 cards, 3 issues. So far not much luck with local shops, small or large.

No wonder when I'm buying something like monitors that have high return rate that I rather go and look at Amazon out of my country, or German shops even, due to a more hassle free return/exchange experience and lower costs of doing so.

I use AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" 1440p75 IPS and since I didn't need to play a lottery on it or had any major problems so far the thread for it is rather picture free-ish as the photos I took were a bit bad (focus, exposure) and I didn't feel like retaking them and then spending hours doing the viewing angle composite etc. like I did for the AOC, Acer, Samsung, LG which are mostly in the comparison thread in signature and with some I did play the lottery a bit to no avail. I've had the 850G, it was broken internally and while the AUO VA is nicer than the older Samsung VA it's still no match to an IPS at this size, for me 31.5" is simply too large for VA and I find the other negatives of VA worse than having a bit of corner glow with IPS. Not all IPS glow as crazily as the infamous AUO 27" AHVA=IPS. Been there, tried all the available panels in 27" and 31.5" 1440p100+ IPS and VA at the time, settled for 1440p75 monitor anyway. Nowadays there are more options, there wasn't a very up to date list before so I kept the 2019 new options/releases in a thread, in signature. There still isn't much if anything really in 1440p100+ to recommend, in 1080p there are some nicer models now, the 1080p144 24" IGZO IPS and 1080p 240/280Hz IPS panels.

After having multiple 31.5" monitors and using this one a while now, I really don't want to go down in size. Plus for 1440p the 31.5" is most usable to me as it's a standard PPI = no UI scaling necessary and text is readable.
JackCY is offline  
post #11609 of 11705 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 08:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
newls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,807
Rep: 46 (Unique: 34)
please dont make me read 1161 pages here to look for this answer....... I have a Gigabyte 2080ti gaming OC (ref design) currently @ i think 365w limited bios. What bios can I flash to that will actually work and increase my wattage limit. Im @ +140 / + 1000mem and waterblocked.....

**Intel System** Asus Z390E Strix / 8700k @ 4.85Ghz / 32GB BDie @ 3200 CL14 / PowerColor 5700XT / eVGA 850w PSU / Sammy 960 EVO m.2 / MX500 250gb games SSD / 49" Samsung UltraWide 144Hz

**Games Only** Asus Maximus Formula XII / i9 10900k @ 5.3GHz / 32gb 4x8GB Patriot Viper DDR4 4400 @ 4133 / 2080Ti / Everything watercooled using Dual Loops and many 420mm rads


newls1 is offline  
post #11610 of 11705 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 02:28 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11,134
Rep: 364 (Unique: 261)
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...emSize=&since=

There is indeed a 366W VBIOS for it on TPU. I think the highest stock VBIOS I saw was 380W. So there is not much you can do other than shunt it or get some niche non public VBIOS with a crazy limit which is unlikely made for your card.
JackCY is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off