[Official] NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti Owner's Club - Page 685 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti Owner's Club

post #6841 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:46 AM
waiting for Driver update

Rep: 132 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Im with stupid^^^^
If i runs on air then craps on water block something is wrong with the block. It putting too much pressure on something or shorting out something. Long process to find the exact point but Id start by making sure the block is flat. I tried a Lotan block on my strix and the block was warped. Sent that puppy back. I never even ran water through it. I always do a test assembly and check the die for TIM spread and the thermal pads for even indentations from the VRMS and other components. My sample had like 4 of 16 mosfets actually making indentations. If you arent making good contact it could be thermal issues or just short from a metal shard you cant see.

I know the feeling, just went though this with my Strix card and two blocks ill not buy again is a bitspower or Barrow. I wasnt looking to go cheap, just looking for a block as both EK and Watercool are late to the party. EK just starting shipping theirs and Watercool has yet to start shipping. Card was released in October and 5 months later.....really?

kinda funny how i see amazing watercooled rigs on Instagram using Bitspower blocks on GPUs/CPU , EK blocks on the other hand are rare to find in those circles

i mean looks at this

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt7Cap5ltSF/

Mid-tower BEAST
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 05:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Glerox View Post
I need some help guys.

I've installed the LOTAN gpu block on my MSI 2080TI lightning Z. It's not my first time. Eveything went smoothly.

And now the gpu is stuck at 1350 MHZ... I haven't touch the vbios, haven't shunt modded, only installed the block. Temps are good.

Ive tried :

-reinstalling drivers
-LN2 bios switch
-reflashing the same original vbios
-reinstalling Windows

I've noticed in MSI afterburner the Power limit slider is greyed out also now.

Anyone has any idea of what might have happened and/or solution?

thanks, feeling a bit desperate here

That card doesn't like when you unplug stock fans, it goes in to safe mode.

I'm still using stock heatsink but changed those fans and ran into the same problem.

You can get it running with waterblock when you plug back in stock fans and boot the system up. Core is probably still at 1350 but now when you change bios mode, all goes back to normal.
Now you can unplug fans and it keeps working. Remember that when you change bios mode, update bios or turn off power completely you have to do this hassle again.

I don't know if this is a bug or just stupid design from MSI.
post #6843 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by x-speed69 View Post

I'm still using stock heatsink but changed those fans and ran into the same problem.

You can get it running with waterblock when you plug back in stock fans and boot the system up. Core is probably still at 1350 but now when you change bios mode, all goes back to normal.
Now you can unplug fans and it keeps working. Remember that when you change bios mode, update bios or turn off power completely you have to do this hassle again.

Sounds like you just need a dummy fan plug to plug into the GPU fan

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6844 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
New bios Msi Lightning Z 400w
post #6845 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Rog strix rtx2080Ti oc 3 days ago, I'm doing the first air tests:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (240).png
Views:	48
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	258198  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (239).png
Views:	45
Size:	808.6 KB
ID:	258202  

post #6846 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by x-speed69 View Post

You are right. Thank you for this. In fact, thanks everyone for all your answers!

I've installed the water block with the gpu fans of the air cooler plugged in (that was quite a pain to do), which is a bit ridiculous.
After, I've removed the fans while the PC was running and now it seems to work.
I'm just really afraid now to reinstall a new driver as the issue might come back...

This is so ridiculous coming from a GPU that is MADE of overclocking...
post #6847 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
So I tried the new LN2 bios and the GPU is back into safe mode... reverting back to the regular vbios doesn't change the issue. I would have to reinstall the original cooler fans again...

I'll have to write to bitspower to understand how they got the GPU working with the water block...
post #6848 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Overclock Enthusiast

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
So I tried the new LN2 bios and the GPU is back into safe mode... reverting back to the regular vbios doesn't change the issue. I would have to reinstall the original cooler fans again...

I'll have to write to bitspower to understand how they got the GPU working with the water block...
I also suggest you post on the MSI forums, they are very active there with BIOS and requests / issues report.

» Intel i7 8700K delided 5Ghz | » EVGA CLC 280 watercooler | » Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | » G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3400Mhz CL16
» EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra OC: 2175/8250 @ Kraken G12/x42 | » Dell S2716DG 27' 144Hz G-Sync (DP) + LG 49UJ6525 4K [email protected] (HDMI)
» Sentey 80 Plus Gold 1000W | » Thermaltake Core x71 TG | » Windows 10 Pro 1709 build 16299.1059
post #6849 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Currently it's painful problem and a very weird one because you would think this card is meant to run on water not air.

In my experience updating drivers is ok but if you do anything to bios side it goes back to safe mode.

About the "real" LN2 bios. I have been fighting with MSI about it since January and they have given me crappiest customer service ever. This is for sure last time I buy anything from MSI.

Basic support is **** and they don't know anything or straight up lie about things...
post #6850 of 8994 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:06 PM
waiting for Driver update

Rep: 132 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by maxmix65 View Post
New bios Msi Lightning Z 400w

ok , how can i install it since i use an ROG board ?

Mid-tower BEAST
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in