Will there be a Turing Titan? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Will there be a Turing Titan?

post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Will there be a Turing Titan?

I am currently running a Maxwell Titan and have been very pleased with it.

However, the card is obviously getting a bit long in the tooth and it's past time for an upgrade.

I'd like another Titan but don't want to wait in vain for a card that never arrives.

I don't want to purchase a 2080 TI only to have a new Titan show up soon after.

I'd appreciate the chance to benefit from the opinion's \ speculation's of this community regarding this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 07:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Location: "...somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert..."
Rep: 41 (Unique: 36)
From what Nvidia has done with Titan V... and considering the minimal performance gain a Titan T is likely to be above a 2080 Ti, I would honestly choose against a Titan myself. Nvidia seems to want to have the Titan in a price point and niche in the marketplace where it sits all by itself. I'm pretty sure they'll release a Turing based Titan in the future, but don't be surprised if it carries a $3,000+ price tag like the Titan V.

The Spaceman abides... thumb.gif

A right understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not because it adds to it an infinite span of time, but because it takes away the craving for immortality. For there is nothing terrible in life for the man who has truly comprehended that there is nothing terrible in not living. ~Epicurus
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by SpacemanSpliff View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll release a Turing based Titan in the future
Why do you think that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:15 AM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1789 (Unique: 1170)
I do not think they will release it. Next Titan will probably be $1200 7nm or $3000 7nm with a new architecture.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Location: "...somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert..."
Rep: 41 (Unique: 36)
Well... think of the applications of Turing from a non gaming standpoint... A high powered card that can be used for a variety of purposes, such as 3D editing, rendering, game development, all with the added boost that ray tracing can offer... a $3,000-3,500 Turing based Titan would be appealing to a very appealing in the marketplace, especially when considering that the entry level Turing Quadro (RTX 5000) has a $2,300 price tag, and 16GB of memory, but with 1948 fewer CUDA cores and 256 fewer Tensor cores than a Titan V. The next step up to the Quadro RTX 6000 takes you up to 24GB of VRam, but 512 fewer CUDA Cores, 64 less Tensor cores, and for a staggering jump up to $6,200 dollars.... a Titan "T" would likely also have 16GB as the Quadro RTX 5000, but with far more CUDA and Tensor Cores. Grant it, again, it's mere speculation, but I think NVidia would be doing themselves a disservice not to make a Turing based Titan.

The Spaceman abides... thumb.gif

A right understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not because it adds to it an infinite span of time, but because it takes away the craving for immortality. For there is nothing terrible in life for the man who has truly comprehended that there is nothing terrible in not living. ~Epicurus
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by SpacemanSpliff View Post
Well... think of the applications of Turing from a non gaming standpoint... A high powered card that can be used for a variety of purposes, such as 3D editing, rendering, game development, all with the added boost that ray tracing can offer... a $3,000-3,500 Turing based Titan would be appealing to a very appealing in the marketplace, especially when considering that the entry level Turing Quadro (RTX 5000) has a $2,300 price tag, and 16GB of memory, but with 1948 fewer CUDA cores and 256 fewer Tensor cores than a Titan V. The next step up to the Quadro RTX 6000 takes you up to 24GB of VRam, but 512 fewer CUDA Cores, 64 less Tensor cores, and for a staggering jump up to $6,200 dollars.... a Titan "T" would likely also have 16GB as the Quadro RTX 5000, but with far more CUDA and Tensor Cores. Grant it, again, it's mere speculation, but I think NVidia would be doing themselves a disservice not to make a Turing based Titan.
Understood. Thank you for your input.

OK, please speculate on this. Imagine a full fat Titan "T" equipped with all of the cores, memory, etc. it could have.
What kind of percentage performance increase over a 2080 TI would you speculate that card might have.
If you think that percentage number would be small then I can understand why Nvidia wouldn't be likely to make it.
If it would be large.....

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 AM
To The Game

Rep: 288 (Unique: 197)
They left a memory chip off that 2080 ti. Could easily toss that in and make a 12gb titan rtx.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:41 AM
RTX Sight Unseen

Rep: 99 (Unique: 78)
Quote: Originally Posted by LRRP View Post
Understood. Thank you for your input.

OK, please speculate on this. Imagine a full fat Titan "T" equipped with all of the cores, memory, etc. it could have.
What kind of percentage performance increase over a 2080 TI would you speculate that card might have.
If you think that percentage number would be small then I can understand why Nvidia wouldn't be likely to make it.
If it would be large.....
The fact that the 2080 Ti is releasing before a possible Titan T means it will be at the $3k range and be purpose built for things other than gaming.

Percentage performance in gaming vs the 2080 Ti will be non-existent with the highest end 2080 Ti skus. I would assume there will be versions of the 2080 Ti that will outperform a Titan T in gaming.

*Warning*: I may have been intoxicated when writing this posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pain
It aint hardcore unless its hexacore! Megagigabyte Son!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
I'd bet on a rtx titan T with the full chip from the quadro lineup and 16-24gb of memory. Price will likely be ridiculous. The titan series are no longer a gaming cards, the x80ti now occupies the spot left open by the gtx titans.

Singularity Cases Spectre
Intel 9900k @ 5.2ghz 1.365v
Nvidia 2080 TI SLI @ 2130mhz
G.Skill Trident Z memory 2x8gb 4000mhz 16-17-17-28 1.45v
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
EVGA 1200w P2 psu
Custom waterloop
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 519 (Unique: 359)
I’m never paying more than $3K for a Titan, and it would have to be at least 30% faster than the next fastest card.

I have a feeling a $5K Titan will show its head in the next year or two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in