Using a Nvidia, is it possible to play a game on 3 monitors at once? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Using a Nvidia, is it possible to play a game on 3 monitors at once?

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Using a Nvidia, is it possible to play a game on 3 monitors at once?

I'm almost certain I know the correct answer to this, but I have a "friend" here with an MA in computer science who tells me it's impossible without "modding" it. Now, I do know the AMD is meant to be easier due to the system it has in place for using a game across numerous monitors. There are numerous videos on YT meant to show one how to do it with NVIDIA, each time I try (right click, get the NVIDIA menu, etc..) I just end up with a mess and no game on multiple monitors. What am I doing wrong here lads? I have a new i9 cpu, a new Titan V card, and 3 monitors 30 inches or more, all GSYNC. I know I must be be doing something stupid and easy wrong, as my friend laughs and tells me that's why AMD is the superior choice.

Any ideas? I know there must be people on this thread personally who use their NVIDA to run games on multiple monitor at same time. Latest one I'm trying is "Witcher 3," but really want to play the Trucking Game in Europe (which I now hear supports Vive ))) ) so I can get a faux-experience of driving across Europe from the Med to the Pyrenees. Can anyone help me and go through the steps one should take as if you were talking to a kindergartner with a learning disability? Thank you in advance. Also, when I have the money I would like to get an AMD just to see what they're like and the setup for multiple monitors IS meant to be easier, but I REFUSE to believe it is "impossible" for a NVIDIA without a "mod." Thanks lads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by zoomcopter View Post
I'm almost certain I know the correct answer to this, but I have a "friend" here with an MA in computer science who tells me it's impossible without "modding" it. Now, I do know the AMD is meant to be easier due to the system it has in place for using a game across numerous monitors. There are numerous videos on YT meant to show one how to do it with NVIDIA, each time I try (right click, get the NVIDIA menu, etc..) I just end up with a mess and no game on multiple monitors. What am I doing wrong here lads? I have a new i9 cpu, a new Titan V card, and 3 monitors 30 inches or more, all GSYNC. I know I must be be doing something stupid and easy wrong, as my friend laughs and tells me that's why AMD is the superior choice.

Any ideas? I know there must be people on this thread personally who use their NVIDA to run games on multiple monitor at same time. Latest one I'm trying is "Witcher 3," but really want to play the Trucking Game in Europe (which I now hear supports Vive ))) ) so I can get a faux-experience of driving across Europe from the Med to the Pyrenees. Can anyone help me and go through the steps one should take as if you were talking to a kindergartner with a learning disability? Thank you in advance. Also, when I have the money I would like to get an AMD just to see what they're like and the setup for multiple monitors IS meant to be easier, but I REFUSE to believe it is "impossible" for a NVIDIA without a "mod." Thanks lads.
I dont know what exactly you are doing, but with just using nvidia Surround you should be fine for up to 5 Displays per card.

Gesendet von meinem Moto Z2 Play mit Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 04:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Can you get them to all display the desktop in landscape format? (Display Settings>Detect) That's the first step, after Windows is scaled across them, Nvidia Control Panel should be easy enough.
Once you do set them up you should be aware that it's going to tank performance and that not all games will work well with a custom resolution like that.

Saying AMD is better because of multi display is like saying Nissan is best because they have wheels. Actually for gaming AMD is (sadly) pretty far behind until they launch something again...compute as well. The RX580 is great for the price, Vega IMO is great but I couldn't get a 56 during the mining boom so I have an equivalent 1080.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Can you get them to all display the desktop in landscape format? (Display Settings>Detect) That's the first step, after Windows is scaled across them, Nvidia Control Panel should be easy enough.
Once you do set them up you should be aware that it's going to tank performance and that not all games will work well with a custom resolution like that.

Saying AMD is better because of multi display is like saying Nissan is best because they have wheels. Actually for gaming AMD is (sadly) pretty far behind until they launch something again...compute as well. The RX580 is great for the price, Vega IMO is great but I couldn't get a 56 during the mining boom so I have an equivalent 1080.

Maybe it's the "display settings" I've been screwing up. I've watched people do it on YT 7 or 8 times, but for some reason it never seems to...even out as it's meant to when I'm setting up a game. Example, a game like "Witcher 3" and I have part of...it never seems to go the right way. It's a shame that $850, 49" monitor isn't GYSNC or that would be perfect for me and the two IKEA desks I have set together. I wish I knew some of you all in real life, in NYC. Can't exactly be out the wife's friend and her husband and ask him about what he plans to get in the next "Steam" sale. Speaking of which, one of the Europe truck driving titles is on sale until the 24th if anyone has a wheel and a Vive and likes to "see" Europe but can't get there as often as he'd like...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:11 PM
DRAM Obsessor

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by zoomcopter View Post
Maybe it's the "display settings" I've been screwing up. I've watched people do it on YT 7 or 8 times, but for some reason it never seems to...even out as it's meant to when I'm setting up a game. Example, a game like "Witcher 3" and I have part of...it never seems to go the right way. It's a shame that $850, 49" monitor isn't GYSNC or that would be perfect for me and the two IKEA desks I have set together. I wish I knew some of you all in real life, in NYC. Can't exactly be out the wife's friend and her husband and ask him about what he plans to get in the next "Steam" sale. Speaking of which, one of the Europe truck driving titles is on sale until the 24th if anyone has a wheel and a Vive and likes to "see" Europe but can't get there as often as he'd like...

Have you tried using NVidia Inspector and enabling the frame limiter options since that monitor isnt GSync? May not be as good as GSync but Ive heard some good experiences using it. I dont use Gsync or Vsync so I cant comment on that from personal experience. I dont much care for the input lag that comes with Syncing the frame rate. Id just rather get the game running close to the refresh rate of the monitor (144hz in my case) using quality settings in game and in Nvidia Inspector.

CPU- AMD Ryzen [email protected] *
MOTHERBOARD- ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU- EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 w/ XOC [email protected] (Morpheus Cooler)
RAM- G.SKILL TridentZ 32gb (4 x 8gb) @ 3800mhz (14-15-15-24-38-1T)
COOLING- CORSAIR Hydro Series H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 (x7)
CASE- Silverstone RL06 Pro (Modified)
MONITORS- VIOTEK GN34DB (x2)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 05:30 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 26 (Unique: 22)
Your friend is an idiot. You’re right you can plug in 3-5 displays that are all the same resolution and span the desktop and games across all of them as though it was one large display. This feature is called NVIDIA Surround. That’s what you should be searching for videos on.

You just should be able to plug all the displays in and go into the NVIDIA control panel and enable the Surround option. This will launch a wizard that walks you through setting up your Surround configuration. When it’s done, you should have the desktop spanning all 3 displays as though they were one mega display, and games will see the displays this way too and offer you the corresponding wider resolutions in their graphics options.

Not all games will give a good experience in NV Surround and AMD Eyefinity (on NV and AMD both). This is because many games intentionally prevent the FoV (field of view) from being widened to fill in the side monitors because extra visibility that only some poeple have would be a sort of cheat (unfair advantage). In these cases the view will either be zoomed in or stretched horizontally, both of which are unplayable and defeat the purpose. You can see examples of this here:

http://developer.download.nvidia.com...ticesGuide.pdf

Also some games seeing the displays as single large and wide monitor means they end up sticking your UI (minimap, health, etc.) on the outer corners of the outer displays... meaning you can’t see them as easily at a glance as if they were properly limited to the center display. Games that properly support and take Surround into account limit the UI to the center display.

To the game, the NV Surround and AMD Eyefinity look identical... just a larger mega monitor.

Also, NVIDIA’s solution is similarly easy to AMD’s. They’re almost identical. Though AMDs may be a bit more flexible on what varied combination of displays you can use in such a configuration... at least it used to be so.

Last edited by Seven7h; 09-22-2018 at 05:36 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 06:15 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 98 (Unique: 66)
It works without doing anything special. I used to game on a triple 1080p monitor setup until I upgraded to a ultrawide 1440p monitor.

This is a screenshot I took playing Grid Autosport in Linux.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gridautosport.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	219690

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
Amd , multiple monitors , Nvidia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in