Kraken G12 and X62 on EVGA 2080ti XC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Kraken G12 and X62 on EVGA 2080ti XC

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Kraken G12 and X62 on EVGA 2080ti XC

So seeing as the stock cooler on the non ultra XC card was not playing nice. (load temps at 75C+ and thermal throttling) I decided to ad a AIO water cooler.

Officialy the G12 does not list 2080ti support, but I figured there should not be an issue fitting it even if i had to mod it slightly.

So here is the 2080ti with the stock cooler removed.

The traditional fan/led connectors have been replaced by the rectangular socket on back end of the card. Visible in the picture.

Super simple to take apart, just remove the 4 screws on the back plate and the thing just pulls apart.

I decided to keep both the front and rear plates on the card. Keeps the card rigid and I it looks like there is a lot of thermal tape between the front and back plates so they act as a heatsink for all the components.

As I mentioned the G12 is not officialy supported (yet). In order to fit it the way I wanted I had a slightly modify the AMD bracket.
All you have to do is file/cut out the corners of the bracket where it mounts to the card. The square cutout of the front plates interferes just slightly with the bracket.

As an afterthought I think adding a very thin spacer between the bracket and card could have also worked, as I think the pump contacts the chip even without tightening it down, so there is enough space to raise the bracket slightly.
In my case I didn't have any washers so I decided to modify the bracket.

With the modification it fits perfectly.

I test fitted it with the stock thermal paste to see if there was proper contact (Remembered JayzTwoCents video where he mounted it on a 1080ti...) All looked ok

As a final upgrade I replaced the stock fan with a Nocuta NF-A9 for a bit more airflow.

All put together with some fresh AS5 thermal compound.

Unfortunately does not looks as nice in the case as the stock cooler with the LED lighting, etc (so I didn't bother with the pic) ..but man it kills the stock cooler in terms of temps.

Idle is 27C, and under 100% load it hovers around 45C, comparing that to occasionally hitting 80C+ on the stock cooler it's not even in the same league.
The huge temp drop also stabilized the OC. I now get a consistent 2050-2085 MHz. With the stock cooler, the frequency would eventually drop to around 1950Mhz as the temp climbed past 70C.

Anyway, thought i would share, and I'm happy with the result.

One other thing is that I do plan to add another small fan just to cool the from VRAM bank. I'll have to print a 3d bracket of some sort.
Any recommendations for a very small fan?

Last edited by Digitalmonk; 10-12-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 46)
nice man! that's very awesome. sucks you were getting crappy temps, but glad it's now stable and consistence in your OC

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Awesome post. I will be attempting this on Friday with a Founders Edition 2080ti. Will post the results!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Watercooled

Rep: 47 (Unique: 33)
Great results. You can find a good quality small fans in mouser or any electronic website, because those aren't very common in the "computer" market

https://www.mouser.com/Thermal-Manag...ons%20-%20mm|0

I7 8700K@4.7Ghz / Z370-A / 2X8GB 3200Mhz ADATA Spectrix D40 / 1TB Intel 600P / EVO 850 250GB / 4TB WD Gold / RTX 2080 GAMING OC / NZXT Noctis 450 ROG / EVGA G2 850W@ECO
Heatkiller REV 3.0 / XSPC EX360 / DDC 3.25 + EK-XRES / 3x Venturi HF-12 PWM
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Overclock Enthusiast

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Does anyone know the size of the VRM's on the left? Would 14x14mm heatsinks be enough to cover them or should be bigger?

Thanks!

» Intel i7 8700K delided 5Ghz | » EVGA CLC 280 watercooler | » Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | » G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3400Mhz CL16
» EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra OC: 2145/8150 | » Dell S2716DG 27' 144Hz G-Sync (DP) + LG 49UJ6525 4K [email protected] (HDMI) + Dell 2408WFP 24' 60Hz (DP)
» Sentey 80 Plus Gold 1000W | » Thermaltake Core x71 TG | » Windows 10 Pro 1709 build 16299.1059

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in