2080 Ti - Working Shunt Mod - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2080 Ti - Working Shunt Mod

post #111 of 140 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 190 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
Ya my wife likes it hot in the house, so I can only bench at reasonable temps at night, till couple months. If its cold outside she wants it 80, if its hot she wants it 60, Women man. Also this is on my bench, so way rad limited. I need more rad, and more Wattage .
The way these cards drop clocks at temperature steps, even below 50°C, means lower temps are almost always good simply for that reason. My best behavior was with all the doors and windows open in winter.

After the mod I get perfectly stable clocks and voltages within each temperature bin, as temperature goes up I see it drop clock/voltage down in clean steps.

What aggravates me, is the curve wont stick. So I can do 2200 at 1.093, when it sticks, and I can do 1185 at 1.081 I think it is, it doesnt matter, because the curve will only let me set custom clock for 1.
The way clocks, volts, and power limit throttling interact don't make sense when simply looking at monitoring software's reports. I think things are changing even faster than we can see so the reports don't tell us what is actually going on. Differences is aliasing and/or averaging methods will cause oddities.

If I lower the power limit a lot it doesn't matter what I overclock to, I always see dips. I can set the overclock to the lowest clock it reported dipping to and it will report dipping a bit lower.

My 8K Superposition max clock of 2115 MHz is also my min clock (6033):

But the score directly below mine has a max clock of 2145MHz (6022):

So when the voltage drops, it drops way more clocks then it needs. I guess I need to try setting a low clock only, and see what it does for the upper clocks. The card just doesn't want to let me manage it, and I cant stand that.
I think most of that really is the power limit, when it isn't temps. Watch the "Performance Limit - Power" in HWiNFO64 or Afterburner's "Power limit", do you see it triggering? I also miss the days of set and forget GPU clocks, until I remember cards that died fast due to thermals (today's cards would downclock) and the general quality of the hardware then. A new "I don't mind if you die" option to take total control would be great though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 140 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I think most of that really is the power limit, when it isn't temps. Watch the "Performance Limit - Power" in HWiNFO64 or Afterburner's "Power limit", do you see it triggering? I also miss the days of set and forget GPU clocks, until I remember cards that died fast due to thermals (today's cards would downclock) and the general quality of the hardware then. A new "I don't mind if you die" option to take total control would be great though.
Yes, thats my issue though.

The when it downlocks, it lowers the power limit first. Which makes zero sense, if its not hitting the current power limit, and temps are fine, why drop it? So what happens when it downclocks, is it drops the Power target from 130% to 115%-124%, and then the clocks drop. again for no reason.

In Heaven and Valley the PT stays at 130%.

Ill try that other bench later, I been out the game for awhile lol, Lots of new stuff .

The other thing I noticed, if I just up the power target to 130 and leave the clocks alone, the card clocks up to 2050 by itself, and it drops then into the high 1800s, low 1900s and back up. However with my overclock, it drops from 2190 to 2025 at lowest, so I dont think its a thermal limit, or a power limit, as that doesn't make any sense. If either was the cause, it would stop down clocking if its at lower clocks, and it doesn't stop. The card just down clocks, for seemingly no reason.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 03-23-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #113 of 140 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 190 (Unique: 127)
The other thing I noticed, if I just up the power target to 130 and leave the clocks alone, the card clocks up to 2050 by itself, and it drops then into the high 1800s, low 1900s and back up. However with my overclock, it drops from 2190 to 2025 at lowest, so I dont think its a thermal limit, or a power limit, as that doesn't make any sense. If either was the cause, it would stop down clocking if its at lower clocks, and it doesn't stop. The card just down clocks, for seemingly no reason.
I think hitting the power limit causes very very short declocks to very low speeds. When it triggers it goes to 300 MHz for xx microseconds, or something similar, so we see these randomly timed stops averaged into our normal max clocks. This causes the reported clock rate to fluctuate down but that does not tell us anything about the real min clock that would allow it to never throttle.

Also, Nvidia has done a pretty amazing job at keeping power down without hurting performance very much. Increasing the max clock keeps increasing performance, even when the card is already triggering the power limit. I like steady clocks but it looks like opening up the power a lot is usually worth less than a +50 MHz OC, unless you have an unusually power heavy load. On battery or heat constrained I think this throttling tech would actually be very good.

I am not sure about your auto-decreasing power limit, I never saw that with my FE 2080 Ti.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 140 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

I think hitting the power limit causes very very short declocks to very low speeds. When it triggers it goes to 300 MHz for xx microseconds, or something similar, so we see these randomly timed stops averaged into our normal max clocks. This causes the reported clock rate to fluctuate down but that does not tell us anything about the real min clock that would allow it to never throttle.

Also, Nvidia has done a pretty amazing job at keeping power down without hurting performance very much. Increasing the max clock keeps increasing performance, even when the card is already triggering the power limit. I like steady clocks but it looks like opening up the power a lot is usually worth less than a +50 MHz OC, unless you have an unusually power heavy load. On battery or heat constrained I think this throttling tech would actually be very good.

I am not sure about your auto-decreasing power limit, I never saw that with my FE 2080 Ti.
I think it has semblance to what you said, when my power limit hits 130% it drops it, it does not allow for the PL to ever stay at 130%, it says 130% for a split second and then its reduced to 100%, and then climbs back up, hits 130% again and then its forcefully lowered again.

I watched in HWmonitor, and my card never even gets the max wattage they claim it can. The wattage will climb to 338, the second it hits 338, it drops immediately down to 250, and then climbs back up.

I'm not too disappointed though, as apparently from watching some videos today, It took jay a AC cooled rad to get a 7722, and I got 7715 (https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6676616), with 68f ambient on a standard loop

Quote:

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
post #115 of 140 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
noob question: so I did the shunt mod, but how do I know it actually works without multimeter?

Before i could do 2160, depending on temps, if it stays below 38c it sticks, if it goes above 40c it goes down to 2145mhz. Now after the mod it kinda still does the same?

i9 9900k 5.3ghz - evga z390 dark - corsair ax1200i
16 GB g.skill tridentZ 4600 CL 17 - 2080Ti RTX 2160/8000
960PRO 512GB NVMe - 960EVO 512GB NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB - WD caviar black 3x 4tb
Lian Li O11 - ASUS ROG PG279Q Gsync @ 165hz - 2x Qnix2710 @ 120hz - klipsch promedia 2.1

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6850164303.png
post #116 of 140 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Rep: 1506 (Unique: 1046)
Quote: Originally Posted by dante`afk View Post
noob question: so I did the shunt mod, but how do I know it actually works without multimeter?

Before i could do 2160, depending on temps, if it stays below 38c it sticks, if it goes above 40c it goes down to 2145mhz. Now after the mod it kinda still does the same?
Shunt mod affects power limit, temperature bins still apply.

9980XE  •  APEX VI  •  3600CL15  •  KPE 2080TI HC  •  34GK950F-B  •  970 PRO 1TB  •  1600T2  •  800D

post #117 of 140 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:52 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Looks like im overreacting anyway, that 7702 would have landed me in the top 60 of Timespy Extreme, if not for the crap Haswell E CPU. We will fix that, RVIEO and I9 9940x on the way

Quote:

post #118 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi guys

this is my baby, msi rtx 2080ti gaming x

i am getting mad cause of frequency throttle, can't find a bios that fix it properly.
do you think is possible to shunt it? i did shunt mod on my Titan pascal and worked great for years

this should be the 8pin resistors:

the one in the left corner should be the pci-e resistor and i think is not fine to shunt it, right?

do you think using metal pen or liquid metal works? or the only way is soldering 8 mOhms?
post #119 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Packet Pusher

Rep: 230 (Unique: 145)
You are throttling due to only power limit, correct? Not temp or anything like that?

If only PL, then yes, shunting will give you more headroom.

Those should be the correct resistors. Please verify with a DMM first however. Plenty of videos on how to check continuity out there.

The one in the lower left can be left alone, yes.

Liquid metal is not recommended. Metal pen, while not as corrosive to the components, is still not the best method. Soldering the 8mOhm resistors on is the most reliable way to do this.

I did one of my eVGA 2080Ti's and have been nothing but happy. For 24/7 gaming use, I can set to 2075 core and be done on the stock BIOS which gives me the best memory clocks. Plays everything in 1440p at 144 fps (Gsync max for my monitor). Water cooled, I hit high 40's load after about 60 minutes of gaming and it stays there.

Quote: Originally Posted by mattxx88 View Post
Hi guys

this is my baby, msi rtx 2080ti gaming x

Spoiler!

i am getting mad cause of frequency throttle, can't find a bios that fix it properly.
do you think is possible to shunt it? i did shunt mod on my Titan pascal and worked great for years

this should be the 8pin resistors:

Spoiler!

the one in the left corner should be the pci-e resistor and i think is not fine to shunt it, right?

Spoiler!

do you think using metal pen or liquid metal works? or the only way is soldering 8 mOhms?

My Sauce Is Much 13373|2 Than Yours

What's in your hardware wallet?

[Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti Owner's Club]
Project Blackout
(24 items)
CPU
i9 7900X Delidded
Motherboard
ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC BLACK EDITION GAMING
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC BLACK EDITION GAMING
RAM
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB - Samsung B-die DDR4 4000
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB - Samsung B-die DDR4 4000
Hard Drive
4x 1TB Western Digital Black
Hard Drive
2x 480GB Kingston HyperX Savage SSD
Hard Drive
2x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB 3D NAND
Hard Drive
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4
Hard Drive
INTEL® RAID ADAPTER RSP3DD080F
Hard Drive
2x 2TB Western Digital Green
Power Supply
CORSAIR HX Series HX1000
Cooling
Custom Water Cooling Setup
Cooling
Bitspower MonoBlock ASX299TUF RGB-Nickel
Case
Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black
Operating System
Winders 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Pixio PX276h 27"
Monitor
Acer GN276HL 27"
Monitor
HP EliteDisplay E222 22"
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM - Cherry MX Speed - Gunmetal
Mouse
HP Omen Reactor
Mousepad
Corsair Gaming MM800 RGB Polaris
Audio
Sades SA926 Gaming Headset
▲ hide details ▲

post #120 of 140 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
thnaks for your considerations Renegade

but if you don't want to solder, may it be another way?
what do you think about copper conductive tape?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in