2080ti or 1080ti? RMA concerns. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2080ti or 1080ti? RMA concerns.

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
2080ti or 1080ti? RMA concerns.

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death. Recently I've been looking to upgrade my 1080 to a 2080ti. But after reading some reviews on sites, forums, etc, the amount of RMA's I'm reading about is making me reconsider my decision. I've read more negative than positive so far. The 1080ti's new nearly as expensive as the 2080ti's, there are a few used (like new) being sold on newegg for $800 however that I'm considering. I just don't know if upgrading to a 1080ti from a 1080 would be worth the money in my situation.

Just curious what do you guys think? 2080ti worth a shot or nah?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:10 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1788
Most 2080 Tis have 3 years warranty. Get a brand that has a good reputation and go with that. No point to go from 1080 to 1080 Ti.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 114
I'd just wait for the next GPUs or buy used, Turing has terrible price-to-performance and buying another GPU from Nvidia just ensures that prices will stay this way.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:09 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 102
Why are you worried about 2080 TI rma's??

They are actually not common at all.

Go grab it if you want it!

Else a 1080 TI on the used market is still one heck of a card for under $600
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Most 2080 Tis have 3 years warranty. Get a brand that has a good reputation and go with that. No point to go from 1080 to 1080 Ti.
I was planning on going with EVGA, most people seem to recommend their customer support and warrenties. And I agree, althought a 1080ti is a boost I just don't think it's a large enough boost from a 1080 imo.

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I'd just wait for the next GPUs or buy used, Turing has terrible price-to-performance and buying another GPU from Nvidia just ensures that prices will stay this way.
I thought of this as well. Thing is idk when the next line of GPU's will be out. I remember hearing rumors of the 11xx series being released sometime this year but I'm not sure. But I agree the 2080ti price - performance isn't good, but it is the top of the line gamer gpu as of now, and I'm interested in its performance. As I said I'm just curious if it's worth the risk due to all the RMA's I've been reading about.

Quote: Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Why are you worried about 2080 TI rma's??

They are actually not common at all.

Go grab it if you want it!

Else a 1080 TI on the used market is still one heck of a card for under $600
I do hope you're right about the RMA's not being common. But considering the amount of people posting their experiences about RMA'ing their cards, has me in disbelief. How is it that multiple people RMA'd their cards 2-3 times and had similar issues? Granted not all 20XX series owners experience this, but this imo is still alarming. Granted I know it's new tech and stuff and needs to be tuned and debugged, but you got to admit the amount of people complaining raises some questions. I truely do want the 2080ti, but I got to be wise with this $1500 decision lol.

And I wouldn't mind a 1080 ti, but as others said it might not be worth the jump performance wise from a 1080. I'm just considering it if the 2080ti option isn't a wise one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:41 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 102
1080 is still a great card, and does 4k gaming fairly well.

Have you thought about repasting it for possibly better temperatures, and overclocking it some more?

MSI Afterburner allows using the curve clocking feature to get more out of it, plus if you tap "L" after clocking a point on the curve, it locks the card to that voltage and frequency.

This trick allowed me to lock in 2088mhz and 1.1 volts on my 1080 TI, and its far more stable than 1.075 volts 2012mhz for some reason. I dont like being on the EDGE of stability, hence why Im running higher voltage.

But my gigabyte Aorus card has never seen above 55*C when the fans are at 100% (and silent by the way, great card)

In my opinion, unless you plan to buy an expensive high refresh rate 4K monitor, your 1080 card is going to work GREAT for you for at least a couple more years.

Get some time out of your purchase!! Have some fun gaming and think about it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
1080 is still a great card, and does 4k gaming fairly well.

Have you thought about repasting it for possibly better temperatures, and overclocking it some more?

MSI Afterburner allows using the curve clocking feature to get more out of it, plus if you tap "L" after clocking a point on the curve, it locks the card to that voltage and frequency.

This trick allowed me to lock in 2088mhz and 1.1 volts on my 1080 TI, and its far more stable than 1.075 volts 2012mhz for some reason. I dont like being on the EDGE of stability, hence why Im running higher voltage.

But my gigabyte Aorus card has never seen above 55*C when the fans are at 100% (and silent by the way, great card)

In my opinion, unless you plan to buy an expensive high refresh rate 4K monitor, your 1080 card is going to work GREAT for you for at least a couple more years.

Get some time out of your purchase!! Have some fun gaming and think about it.
I agree the 1080 is a great card still, I'm just looking for more performance. I don't have a 4k monitor but have a ultrawide 3440x1440 120hz. I currently have a EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid, and recently I've been considering including my GPU into my CPU's custom water loop. And I figured if I have to take apart my 1080 hybrid I might as well upgrade, Which is why I'm considering a 2080 ti.

I haven't messed with the overclock much on my 1080. I tried a few times but the improvement wasn't much. I was using the EVGA Precision X software, not MSI Afterburner. But sounds like you got good results out of MSI's software, I'll have to give it a try. I'm still new to overclocking.

I might in the future buy a high end 4k monitor when the time comes. I mostly play single player games and will play multiplayer games occasionally, so graphics are more important for me than fps. And like I said my 1080 works great, but there are a few games in which it can struggle (modded skyrim). But overall I just kinda want to upgrade to the newest tech, but had concerns with it's reliability.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3
if you plan to buy a brand new card and change the cooling, be sure to get an EVGA. AFAIK it's the only manufacturer that would not void the warranty for doing this.
on a 1000+$ card that's a point to consider.

(you may have to register the card with EVGA beforehand though, check if it's the case)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8
GB has 4 years after registration but the cooling is mediocre at best, even on the higher end models (Waterforce AIO not included).
From what I can see so far on my card, the Aorus has the same cooling arrangement as the cheapest Windforce but with worse fans (middle one is tiny) and added bling.
That would explain why it runs 76c at 92% fans in open air, even with added airflow.

Core i9 9900K @ 5.2 || ASUS Maximus XI Apex|| 2x8GB G.Skill FlareX 4600 C18 @ 4133 C17 || GPU: MSI Lightning-Z RTX2080Ti @ 2100MHz || Samsung 970PRO 1TB + 860EVO 2TB || Fractal R6 TG Black || Corsair RM1000x || Screen: LG B8 OLED 55 and LG 34GK950F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in