Upgrade from 980 ti to gtx 1080? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Upgrade from 980 ti to gtx 1080?

Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
doom3crazy Level 1

Upgrade from 980 ti to gtx 1080?

So I’ve been using a MSi gaming x 980 ti for several years now. I am thinking about upgrading to a gtx 1080(not ti) as they’re pretty cheap right now(around 350$). I have been lucky enough with my MSi card to get a great overclocker. I am stable at 1516 on the core and 4180 on the memory. I currently game @ 1440p. The 980 ti handles it okay but I would eventually like do ultra wide 3440x1440. It also struggles a bit doing heavy intensive games like the witcher 3.

From what I understand the gtx 1080 weren’t great overclockers. The couple I have been looking at have been the EVGA ftw card, the MSi gaming x card, and then the gigabyte aorus extreme that has 11gbps on the memory instead of 10 and seems like it comes damn close to a 1080 ti.

My question is, with 1080 ti still going for around 550-600$, is going to a 1080 worth it for the price/performance ratio over what I get currently on my 980 ti? I did read somewhere that a heavily overclocked 980 ti(I have custom bios) with 1500mhz + on the core does sit around the same stock performance of a 1080. With the added two extra gb of vram I would gain, would overclocking the 1080 push me to enough performance over my 980 ti to warrant a purchase ?

Thanks in advance. You guys are the best.

Last edited by doom3crazy; 01-30-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli
The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about

maybe? didn't tell us what games or at what resolution/settings you expect to play at so it's kind of hard to answer but the 1080 isn't a huge upgrade from the 980 Ti, regardless if the 980 Ti OCs well or not. it is an upgrade though.

Look into the 2080 or 1080 Ti minimum or stick with what you have IMO.

and a stock 1080 is faster than your OCed 980 Ti regardless of how good a clocker it is. 980 Ti is closer to a 1070 than a 1080.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.47%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
GeIL 16GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Phanteks P400S Glacier White
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50
Audio
FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
doom3crazy Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
maybe? didn't tell us what games or at what resolution/settings you expect to play at so it's kind of hard to answer but the 1080 isn't a huge upgrade from the 980 Ti, regardless if the 980 Ti OCs well or not. it is an upgrade though.

Look into the 2080 or 1080 Ti minimum or stick with what you have IMO.

and a stock 1080 is faster than your OCed 980 Ti regardless of how good a clocker it is. 980 Ti is closer to a 1070 than a 1080.
Whoops. I meant to do that but forgot. So mostly 1440p on ultra settings and as far as games mostly all the good aaa titles. Far cry 5. Doom. Etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 11:45 PM
professional curmudgeon
looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about

thats some pretty good clocks speeds you got. personally, i see mine at 1480 is comparable to an OC'd 1070.

i doubt you won't get much more than a few % on a 1080.

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
"The more you buy, the more you save." - Jensen Huang GTC 2018
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Old 01-29-2019, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
doom3crazy Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
thats some pretty good clocks speeds you got. personally, i see mine at 1480 is comparable to an OC'd 1070.

i doubt you won't get much more than a few % on a 1080.
What about an overclocked 1080? Does it come close to a stock 1080 ti? I would love to eventually move to 3440x1440? I think? Is that 3k aka ultrawide? Anyways, and what about a potential custom bios on a 1080 to remove the voltage and power limits to get even higher clocks?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
doom3crazy Level 1

I mean honestly if you think it would only be a few % more powerful than my 980 ti I def wont upgrade. It would be nice to see a 20-25% boost though.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 AM
professional curmudgeon
looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about looniam has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by doom3crazy View Post
What about an overclocked 1080? Does it come close to a stock 1080 ti? I would love to eventually move to 3440x1440? I think? Is that 3k aka ultrawide? Anyways, and what about a potential custom bios on a 1080 to remove the voltage and power limits to get even higher clocks?
unfortunately there are no custom bios for pascal. go look in all the owners' threads and everyone is passing around the best AIB bios (different power limits) that works for their card. now it's all "auto stuff" with pressing control(something) in after burner to find a voltage curve and whatnot.

well and putting the chip (if not the whole card) under water; the best clocks are 45c and below. however going a little bigger in screen resolution would be more desirable with a pascal card than maxwell . . personally, i am holding fast until something better shakes out.

"Name as many uses for a brick as you can in one minute." - interview at graphics-chip maker Nvidia for a campaign-manager job
Fermi: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
"The more you buy, the more you save." - Jensen Huang GTC 2018
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Old 01-30-2019, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
doom3crazy Level 1

unfortunately there are no custom bios for pascal. go look in all the owners' threads and everyone is passing around the best AIB bios (different power limits) that works for their card. now it's all "auto stuff" with pressing control(something) in after burner to find a voltage curve and whatnot.

well and putting the chip (if not the whole card) under water; the best clocks are 45c and below. however going a little bigger in screen resolution would be more desirable with a pascal card than maxwell . . personally, i am holding fast until something better shakes out.
Oh dang thats too bad. Yeah I am def in between a rock and a hard place. I am not too happy with the rtx series cards and how expensive they are. But I am right on the verge of wanting to update from maxwell series cards. I suppose I could always hold out and try to get a 1080 ti but they're still a little more than I wanna pay but I am also afraid if nothing else shakes out soon we could see the 10 series cards go back up in price.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:52 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

On the first point, if you get a 1080 I'd suggest getting a FTW, G1/Windforce or and of the higher tiered GPUs if you care about overclocking on air.
I have an SC 1080 which is reference with a better cooler. I can flash the Palit BIOS and get better clock speeds and higher scores at the same speed BUT the card it came from had lower RPM fans so it made my GPU run hotter since I was missing about 30% of my RPM range lol.
How well YOUR 1080 OCs is dependent on silicon quality, cooling and BIOS limitation and there is little price difference between the best 1080 and the reference so get one of the faster ones the first time around lol
Mine won't hold 2000Mhz in games with the stock BIOS.

On the second point, I went from a 980 (died) to this 1080 while I still had a 1080p panel and while I did get higher framerates I was too CPU bound with an [email protected] to notice a massive difference. Upgrading to 1440p/144hz IPS really set off the GPU upgrade and was easily the best upgrade I've ever made. Now that I've upgraded to a [email protected] with faster ram I'm very happy with my gaming performance.

The difference between a 980TI and a 1080 would be smaller but it would still be a big improvement at higher resolutions, I feel like the 1080 would do fine at that resolution if you're going for 60fps with the higher settings.

Another thing you'll gain is Adaptive Sync which is a fantastic upgrade on it's own. As cheap as 1080s are now I feel like it would be a good upgrade for the price.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Old 01-30-2019, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
doom3crazy Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post

On the first point, if you get a 1080 I'd suggest getting a FTW, G1/Windforce or and of the higher tiered GPUs if you care about overclocking on air.
I have an SC 1080 which is reference with a better cooler. I can flash the Palit BIOS and get better clock speeds and higher scores at the same speed BUT the card it came from had lower RPM fans so it made my GPU run hotter since I was missing about 30% of my RPM range lol.
How well YOUR 1080 OCs is dependent on silicon quality, cooling and BIOS limitation and there is little price difference between the best 1080 and the reference so get one of the faster ones the first time around lol
Mine won't hold 2000Mhz in games with the stock BIOS.

On the second point, I went from a 980 (died) to this 1080 while I still had a 1080p panel and while I did get higher framerates I was too CPU bound with an [email protected] to notice a massive difference. Upgrading to 1440p/144hz IPS really set off the GPU upgrade and was easily the best upgrade I've ever made. Now that I've upgraded to a [email protected] with faster ram I'm very happy with my gaming performance.

The difference between a 980TI and a 1080 would be smaller but it would still be a big improvement at higher resolutions, I feel like the 1080 would do fine at that resolution if you're going for 60fps with the higher settings.

Another thing you'll gain is Adaptive Sync which is a fantastic upgrade on it's own. As cheap as 1080s are now I feel like it would be a good upgrade for the price.
Thank you for the well thought out response. I appreciate that. Can I ask, do you know what the fastest 1080 is? There is a local guy selling a gigabyte aorus Xtreme 1080 for 350 and it’s the card that’s has 11gbps on the memory instead of 10. I am just wondering if I may of over looked a card.

I saw the Asus strix, g1 gaming by gigabyte, zotac, MSi gaming x, EVGA sc and ftw and I think that’s all that comes to mind. And then there’s the cards that had the little upgrade from 10 to 11gbps on the memory. MSi gaming x plus, gigabyte aorus extreme, and the EVGA sc2 and ftw2. Did I miss any? I def wanna get tha fastest one from the get go

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in