No graphical difference between 4K and 1440p? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

No graphical difference between 4K and 1440p?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
No graphical difference between 4K and 1440p?

So I am trying to play Ace Combat 7 on my GTX 780. Yeah I know old GPU. So on 4K it struggles to hit 40 fps and thats with despite lowereing the settings. SO I reluctantly went down to 1440p and braced for the worst. Mind you this is on a 55" 4k OLED TV. What i saw surprised me. The scale of the game to my screen seemd the same as 4k. The only thing that looked blown up was the Rivertuner stats on my upper left corner showing me my fps and temps.

I thought playing the game in 4K would result in a more pixelated experience but I noticed that was not the case. I even briefly went up close to my TV instead of the 4 feet I seat from it and didn't really see a differnce. whats up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 284 (Unique: 209)
TV scaling often has crap ton of post processing doesn't it. You should notice loss of fine details at lower resolution if the game has any. For something with blurred skies and ground it doesn't really matter much what resolution you run.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
TV scaling often has crap ton of post processing doesn't it. You should notice loss of fine details at lower resolution if the game has any. For something with blurred skies and ground it doesn't really matter much what resolution you run.
What are some good PC games to test this 4k v 1440p thing on?

So far my most "demanding" games are Witcher 3, AC7, Infinite, Crysis 3 (off the top of my head). Witcher 3 looked about the same i think... gotta recheck that again.

Yes I do know i need to get a more powerful card but paying 550 plus dollars for something like a 1080 Ti is robbery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

As far as movies go, I actually notice the difference lol. NIGHT AND DAY. Netflix, Blu Rays, Mkvs you name it. Its such a big difference between anything below 4K and actual 4K
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 124 (Unique: 95)
$550 for one of the fastest gaming cards isn't robbery. Are they supposed to be free? $1300 for a 2080ti is horrible.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
$550 for one of the fastest gaming cards isn't robbery. Are they supposed to be free? $1300 for a 2080ti is horrible.
That is the lowest I've seen it. On average it goes for 600 on ebay. Tell me how any of that is okay for how old the card is. as for the 2080 Ti. Yeah that should be a criminal investigation in my book. but people are buying it in droves lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in