Unable to ID blower reference 2080 Ti. No 19-pin fan/RGB connector?? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Unable to ID blower reference 2080 Ti. No 19-pin fan/RGB connector??

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Unable to ID blower reference 2080 Ti. No 19-pin fan/RGB connector??

I recently acquired an unidentifiable blower 2080 Ti. Here is what it looks like. And a few more.

The format of the part/configuration numbers leads me to believe that it is a Dell, perhaps off an Alienware? At the same time, the cooling shroud looks very similar to the MSI RTX 2080 Ti Seahawk X, but without the logos or water cooling. I can't find a single picture of this thing anywhere. I also cannot find a single instance of an unpainted 2080 Ti PCB. This thing is weird.

Now for the real reason I made this post...

I disassembled it to install an EVGA HYBRID Kit and I found a wonderful quirk. Here is the PCB without cooling solution. If you take a closer look, you'll find that there is a missing header. Here's what it should look like. This 19-pin 14-pin header is used by the EVGA HYBRID Kit to control fans/RGB.

I have three questions about this:
  1. Why is it missing? What is the point?
  2. What are the chances that I can find a replacement header (or something equivalent)? How hard it would it be to solder in the replacement header, or to solder the wires directly in? For science, of course.
  3. Should I expect the header pins to function if I connect to them via a solution to #2? (Is it likely that I need to flash another card's BIOS to re-enable it, or something like that?)
I'm not experienced with electronics, but I have friends who are. Looking for advice on how I might proceed. Thank you!

EDIT: Despite what the HYBRID Kit installation instructions say, this is definitely a 14-pin header, not 19-pin.

Last edited by MacroEnabled; 02-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in