Choosing an air cooled RTX 2080 Ti for fan modding - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Choosing an air cooled RTX 2080 Ti for fan modding

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Maybe you could look at the total weight of the card to give you some idea of how much the heatsink weighs?

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer's of these various 2080Ti's? I doubt they would reply but you never know.

The bare heatsink of the Arctic Cooling Xtreme III measures 286mm long x 92mm high x (54 mm Width with fans)/(35mm without fans). I've never come across any video card heatsink that long (even Raijintek's Morpheus II).
I don't think the total card weight would make an accurate comparison, unfortunately. There is the weight of the shroud, backplate, fans and also an OLED screen on the Lightning Z. Need to account for those.

I might try contacting the manufacturers if no one here will be able to help me out.

Here is the video comparison of Accelero III vs Morpheus II with 2 Vardar fans. Results are at the 6:14 mark:

At 1000 RPM the performance is the same for the GPU core. Morpheus II has higher VRM and VRAM temperatures than the Accelero III. However, this is negligible for 2080 Tis as those cards have much better power design compared to 1080 Tis. 2080 Ti's VRM doesn't even require heatsinks with enough airflow. What's important is that 3 92mm fans at 1000 RPM will ALWAYS be louder than 2 120mm fans at 1000 RPM (especially something as nice as a couple of NF-A12x25). However, I'm not using the Morpheus II as it does not cover the 2080 Ti die completely without some ghetto modding and that adds a long-term unknown into the equation. I just hope someone can answer the questions in the original post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

bump
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

bump
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by Praegrandis View Post
I don't think Accelero would be an improvement in noise/performance over the cooling solutions on FTW or Gaming Z (X Trio). Those already use substantial heatsinks with 3 similarly sized fans.
Why? Stock heatsinks have fans yes, and might be better than ten years ago but they're still a bit ****e compared to aftermarket solutions.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Smanci View Post
Why? Stock heatsinks have fans yes, and might be better than ten years ago but they're still a bit ****e compared to aftermarket solutions.
Particularly, this generation 2080 Ti heatsinks have become much larger than even the previous 1080 Ti ones. Nvidia has stepped up their cooling game so the AIB partners had to come up with much improved designs this time around. However, even previously an Accelero was never as good as something like Morpheus with custom 120mm fans of user's choice in regard to noise/performance ratio. So I am going to assume the Accelero is at the very best an insignificant improvement over the 2.75 slot cards of this generation until there is data to prove otherwise. It's only logical if you think about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in