Choosing an air cooled RTX 2080 Ti for fan modding - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Choosing an air cooled RTX 2080 Ti for fan modding

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Praegrandis

Choosing an air cooled RTX 2080 Ti for fan modding

Hello everyone. I am in a need of advice/assistance. Thank you very much in advance.

I am planning to buy an air cooled card and remove the shroud/fans to replace them with either two NF-A12x25s or two Silent Wings 3 140mm. Whichever ones fit, with the latter being preferable.

My potential candidates are Lightning Z and FTW3 Ultra. Maybe Gaming X Trio if it has the same sized heatsink as Lightning Z (with this one I would have to flash the bios, which I would like to avoid because of the risk of voiding the warranty). I would consider a HOF if they were available (don't know whether that shroud/display can be removed easily).

The goal here is to achieve the best noise/performance cooling ratio while having one of the potentially highest OCing air cooled cards. The price is not a consideration here. As I have understood while reading this awesome thread MSI has a larger heatsink than FTW3. Is that accurate? Also its height might allow fitting two 140mm fans instead of two 120mm. Can anyone verify? These factors would make it a number one choice for me. That is unless there is no way to do the mod without voiding the warranty on a MSI card. That is important for me. Can it be done? Otherwise, an FTW3 is the only choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in