Mr.4way SLI

Rep: 187 (Unique: 169)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Thanks Moparman
I will replace it and then post results here.
Thank you guys for all of your help
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

No luck, replaced R77 resistor and i have the same problem. After few seconds white screen, then blackout then BSOD.
Changing the approach. Have to setup testing rig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
I can report my Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 has just burnt out. PC was just idling (after 60mins of light gaming / browsing). PC shut down and wouldn't reboot. Feared for my motherboard but turned out to be my £500 Gaming G1. Gigabyte UK RMA team have told me to do one as it is 6 months out of warranty and they no longer have parts to repair under their £50 over warranty service fee.

There is a burnt smell when I sniff the card so might take it apart to try and work out if it is repairable. Like for like replacement would be the RTX 2060 circa £330 for what I can determine.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by EasterEEL View Post
I can report my Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 has just burnt out. PC was just idling (after 60mins of light gaming / browsing). PC shut down and wouldn't reboot. Feared for my motherboard but turned out to be my £500 Gaming G1. Gigabyte UK RMA team have told me to do one as it is 6 months out of warranty and they no longer have parts to repair under their £50 over warranty service fee.

There is a burnt smell when I sniff the card so might take it apart to try and work out if it is repairable. Like for like replacement would be the RTX 2060 circa £330 for what I can determine.
I found out that mine was burned and someone kinda fixed it but not as suppose to be fixed. I manage to fix it and i will record a video about that and post it here.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

FIXED

I was able to fix it. As i said, here is the video of how and what i did.

Last edited by uandric; 03-07-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typos
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 16)
Thank you for the video very enlightening. I finally got around to dismantling my G1... and look at the picture bottom right, the same ferrite beads burnt out. Coincidence or component design failure? No idea what would cause them to burn out, but as far as I can see this is the only issue with some damage on the pcb. Thankfully my PC survived and probably got my Seasonic power supply to thank for that.

Very interesting and makes me think Gigabyte were selling an expensive £500+ product with a component design fault ticking away and in my case the ferrite beads burned out less than six months outside the three year warranty. Gigabyte not even willing to look at the card for repair under their £50 fee over-warranty service.

Is it repairable or even worth attempting a repair without knowing what caused the burn out?

Anyway I won't be buying any more Gigabyte stuff given how unhelpful they have been and doubt I would buy a high end graphics card again. I would be absolutely gutted to spend a grand plus on an RTX-2080 Ti for it to fail three years down the line and clearly buying high end stuff is no guarantee of design quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190316_171552.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	644.1 KB
ID:	260728  

Last edited by EasterEEL; 03-22-2019 at 01:57 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Customer service can really kill your confidence in the company. I also love Gigabyte. My favorite motherboard manufacturer. This is clearly design fault, which is not so much of a problem, it happens now and then. Responsible company should just replace burned cards under warranty and offer payed service after warranty is passed.

I would speculate that controller that runs chopper power supply for the memory have glitches and at short time spans opens the transistors to pull high current to the ground. since that current passes thru ferrite beds, they heat fast with high current but slowly dissipates heat when not under load. After tens or thousands of short high current passes it becomes so hot that it burns. Again just my speculation...

I can report that my card is still running and kicking That 0 Ohm resistor did its work

If you have some experience in circuit repairs you could check what survived that burning.. if all is good, just clean that part and place 0 Ohm res. or thin wire. Top transistor is directly connected to 12V so thin jumper wire should do the trick for the bottom one as well. I placed 0 Ohm res. just to see if it will burn also at some point.

Again Thanks to the community, you helped me so much!

Last edited by uandric; 03-22-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in