Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1

Greetings to the community
I have recently acquired this card as non workable. It shows the picture, but when on load sometimes it gives BSOD. Also the LED was stuck at green all the time. I was able to fix the LED, it was faulty cable. After testing numerous drivers and software fixes i finally was certain that it is a hardware issue. After removal of the heat sink and and close inspection of PCB board i noticed that one resistor seems to be knocked of the board. I am familiar with electronic repair and i have hot air rework station so to replace this resistor shouldn't be big of an issue.
i have found on this forum the picture of the PCB for this card and confirmed that resistor is on the board normally. It is resistor R77 and it is located just below the GPU. in between GPU and PCI contacts. Look at this image.

This is the closeup of that area where the resistor is knocked off.
I have measured the nearby resistors to be R78 and R79 around 36 ohm and R76 is 2.2K ohm.
So my question would be, if there is someone who have this card dead or out of machine, or just changing thermal paste and he is willing to measure this R77 resistor i would be ethereally grateful

Thanks.
uandric is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 2,783
Rep: 155 (Unique: 136)
Quote: Originally Posted by uandric View Post
Greetings to the community
I have recently acquired this card as non workable. It shows the picture, but when on load sometimes it gives BSOD. Also the LED was stuck at green all the time. I was able to fix the LED, it was faulty cable. After testing numerous drivers and software fixes i finally was certain that it is a hardware issue. After removal of the heat sink and and close inspection of PCB board i noticed that one resistor seems to be knocked of the board. I am familiar with electronic repair and i have hot air rework station so to replace this resistor shouldn't be big of an issue.
i have found on this forum the picture of the PCB for this card and confirmed that resistor is on the board normally. It is resistor R77 and it is located just below the GPU. in between GPU and PCI contacts. Look at this image.

This is the closeup of that area where the resistor is knocked off.
I have measured the nearby resistors to be R78 and R79 around 36 ohm and R76 is 2.2K ohm.
So my question would be, if there is someone who have this card dead or out of machine, or just changing thermal paste and he is willing to measure this R77 resistor i would be ethereally grateful

Thanks.
If I can find mine Ill measure it for you tonight after work. I have a feeling its in storage right now though so i cannot guarantee anything.
kill is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Kaltenbrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,310
Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
980 ti even stock is still a supreme beast of a GPU

I wish in some Fall Out style game I was wandering the wastelands trying to build a good gaming PC LOL

Can u post the pic in fourm? I can't see the google pic without login

And I pray to the TECH GODS that the only problem u have is the resistor that needs replacing.


I have serval modern PC parts that are broken, and I do electronics as a hobby. But so far I haven't gotten anywhere with them. 1 has broken fuses, maybe SMD caps right there as well. 1 GPU over heats to complete shutdown in minutes.

I promise to never throw out these broken electronics I have, becayse days, months, years from now I'll be able to figure out most any possibility in electronics.


Last edited by Kaltenbrunner; 02-16-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Kaltenbrunner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by kill View Post
If I can find mine Ill measure it for you tonight after work. I have a feeling its in storage right now though so i cannot guarantee anything.
Thank you anyhow
uandric is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post
980 ti even stock is still a supreme beast of a GPU

I wish in some Fall Out style game I was wandering the wastelands trying to build a good gaming PC LOL

Can u post the pic in fourm? I can't see the google pic without login

And I pray to the TECH GODS that the only problem u have is the resistor that needs replacing.
Here are the pics:

Location of R77.
Closeup of the knocked out resistor.

I am going one step at a time. will test the card afer i solder this resistor. Hopefully that is the only problem.
uandric is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Mr.4way SLI
 
Moparman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Farmington MO
Posts: 5,443
Rep: 193 (Unique: 173)
I have 2 of these cards and love them run 1450/4000 24/7. The Led can be color changed with the Giga OC software so you know. I can pull one and check the resistors if you would like.
Moparman is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Moparman View Post
I have 2 of these cards and love them run 1450/4000 24/7. The Led can be color changed with the Giga OC software so you know. I can pull one and check the resistors if you would like.
I have used Gigabyte OC guru II for that LED. it will dim the lights but when i change the color it stays the same. Later when i dismantle the card i saw that 2 wires was broken on the LED panel. only the GND and Green was present. So i soldered those back and hopefully that will work. Will find out when i put it back after i change this resistor.
If it is not to much trouble for you to measure that resistance i would be so grateful. Maybe wait for 24 hours at least, maybe someone with card already out of machine can do it.

This card seems to be very good with OC. However i found on the forums that it can burst into flames for no apparent reason. Overclocked or not. even if it is not under load.
The burning components are R172 and R174. When i looked a bit further i found out that there are 2 PCB versions for this card. The one where are resistors on the place of R172 and R174 and the one with the capacitors on the same place. Both seems to burn into flames for no apparent reason.
I have idea why those burst into flames but i am still investigating what is going on. Maybe this is for another topic

Last edited by uandric; 02-16-2019 at 04:30 PM.
uandric is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:39 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 2,783
Rep: 155 (Unique: 136)
Quote: Originally Posted by uandric View Post
Thank you anyhow
Unfortunately It appears it is in storage. I cannot find it in my parts pile. I wont be able to get it for awhile.
kill is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by kill View Post
Unfortunately It appears it is in storage. I cannot find it in my parts pile. I wont be able to get it for awhile.
No problem. Thank you anyway.

BTW, this part of the PCB where resistor is missing is the same on Gigabyte 980ti extreme also as well as on Nvidia's version of 980ti.

Last edited by uandric; 02-17-2019 at 05:20 AM. Reason: typos
uandric is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Moparman View Post
I have 2 of these cards and love them run 1450/4000 24/7. I can pull one and check the resistors if you would like.
Looks like no one with the card out of the machine was able to do it. So please if you can do it it would be great... or at least you can do it at the next thermal paste renewal

Thank you.
uandric is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off