Difference between 4K resolution and 4K textures - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Difference between 4K resolution and 4K textures

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Difference between 4K resolution and 4K textures

So I recently got a 4K OLED and paired it with my r9 290. Suffice it to say, the card can't handle 4K well. I was playing Ace Combat 7 and though game looks good, I had to turn the resolution down to 1440p on my 4K tv and I didn't notice much of a difference between it and 4K. not texure wise anyways. The only thing I noticed was my rivertuner fps stuff being bigger instead of being smaller and finer as it would under 4K. I thought I'd have more screen real estate as well with 4K as opposed to 4K like you do on Windows but no, the FOV remained the same

Today I fire up Gears of War Ultimate and notice the same pattern except Gears of War Ultimate actually has a texture slider. with 4K, the game is barely playable on Ultra texture (4G ram) and ever less on 4K texture (6GB). What I ended up doing was go down to 1440p and select 4K textures. Game looks just as good, maybe a little less pop as it would have on 4k resolution plus 4k textures

Is this really it? Thats how 4k gaming was. It appears to me that 4K resolution means nothing if the game doesn't have 4K textures. I took some pics but was too lazy to upload them lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in