When will the 1080Ti be dethroned? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

When will the 1080Ti be dethroned?

post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:40 AM
To The Game

Rep: 290 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by nycgtr View Post
I've had my fair share of 1080tis. I never thought it was all omgz since I had a titan x pascals since 2016 and 1080tis were just a minor cutdown with faster ram. I also recently have 4 2080s on hand. 3 strix ocs and 1 trio. I didn't find the 2080s all that amusing or of interest during launch. Having compared the 2080 and 1080ti myself. I honestly would say the 2080 is a better card. Perhaps not worth the jump to from a 1080ti but non the less a better card. I think as we move towards newer releases the difference will become more apparent. My best 1080ti vs my best 2080 the 2080 still pulls ahead but more than 3-4% like reviewers want to point out. As for the 2080ti the thing is a beast (this isn't about pricing) and anyone whos hating on it either cant afford it or just wants to play the denial game. As for the 1k gpu game. You can get 2080tis for 1k the non a chips. They are slower and it can go up to a 10-12% difference unless you hard mod the non a obviously.
If you're going to say that reviewers are wrong then at lest have something to back it up. Recollection is not very reliable. Outside of that, going off the evidence you'd have to be simple to go from a 1080 ti to a 2080 for a few extra percentage of performance. The biggest factor for the negativity around the 2080 ti is the price. You can't just ignore it because it's a better gpu then what was previously available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 84 (Unique: 68)
Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
If you're going to say that reviewers are wrong then at lest have something to back it up. Recollection is not very reliable. Outside of that, going off the evidence you'd have to be simple to go from a 1080 ti to a 2080 for a few extra percentage of performance. The biggest factor for the negativity around the 2080 ti is the price. You can't just ignore it because it's a better gpu then what was previously available.
Really depends on the games played. The 2080 (and RTX in general) seems to perform a lot better in R6: Siege than the 1080ti (~15% better), didn't feel like going through the whole review again so I just looked at one game, but there could be more: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...dition/23.html
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 AM
To The Game

Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
Really depends on the games played. The 2080 (and RTX in general) seems to perform a lot better in R6: Siege than the 1080ti (~15% better), didn't feel like going through the whole review again so I just looked at one game, but there could be more: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...dition/23.html
Looking at the combined performance it's 8%. That's a little better then 4 or 5% though even at 8% most people are not going to notice the improvement. The RTX 2080 is not an upgrade path for the 1080 ti.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 70)
I read reviews but at the same time I am an enthusiast so for me to own every gpu in the product stack isn't uncommon. Reviewers don't always run the same games as I do nor the same settings that I use. You can take the reviews as they are or experience it in your own use case. That's your own call. Fact of the matter is reviews rarely revisit after driver updates, patches to games etc. I go thru hardware so fast that often I have minimal to no loss swapping stuff around. Doesn't hurt to be a good shopper either. However, that's not everyone else. As for the cost of the 2080 ti yeah its high but business is business. You can choose to accept it or not.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 AM
To The Game

Quote: Originally Posted by nycgtr View Post
I read reviews but at the same time I am an enthusiast so for me to own every gpu in the product stack isn't uncommon. Reviewers don't always run the same games as I do nor the same settings that I use. You can take the reviews as they are or experience it in your own use case. That's your own call. Fact of the matter is reviews rarely revisit after driver updates, patches to games etc. I go thru hardware so fast that often I have minimal to no loss swapping stuff around. Doesn't hurt to be a good shopper either. However, that's not everyone else. As for the cost of the 2080 ti yeah its high but business is business. You can choose to accept it or not.
I maintain 4 gaming rig's so I also tend to end up with a large variety of any given gen of gpu's. This has been the first gen since I got into pc building that I've avoided buying any of the cards.

Yeah it's hard to say what happens outside of the settings tested. I'm just going off what I can see.

I choose not to support the price gouging on the 2080 ti's. When they hit, I said no thanks and instead bought an Xbox one x and 55" 4k tv for my computer room. Has worked out really well since I kind of turned my computer room into a bit of a home theater in the process. Will enjoy the setup years beyond the useful life span of the 2080 ti.
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 86 (Unique: 76)
Techpowerup has a larger performance advantage in favor of the 2080 than most other reviews I've seen, I suspect they are using a Founders Edition 1080Ti while most other reviews I've seen used AIB models, they did use more games in the Techpowerup article, but when looking at games also used in other reviews their 2080 always has a bigger advantage, and in some games the 1080Ti even beats the 2080 by a few percent in other reviews while it's the reverse on Techpowerup.

Now with newer drivers though the 2080 probably has a clearer lead, but maybe not as much as in the techpowerup article if they indeed used a 1080 Ti FE.

My System
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z97 Pro
GPU
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X
RAM
16GB GSkil 2133MHz
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001
Hard Drive
Seagate 3TB 3000DM001
Optical Drive
Plextor PX891SA
Power Supply
Corsair TX750W
Cooling
NH-C12P
Case
Lancool K62
Operating System
Windows 7 64bit
Monitor
Iiyama XB2783HSU
Keyboard
Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 3000
Mouse
Logitech G500
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Portgas D. Ace

Rep: 318 (Unique: 242)
Some possibilities:

1. Nvidia releases a GTX version of the 2080ti without RTX fro less $.
  2. Nvidia drops RTX lineup prices to make 2080ti more affordable.
  3. AMD releases a 2080ti competitor in 2019.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 84 (Unique: 68)
I maintain 4 gaming rig's so I also tend to end up with a large variety of any given gen of gpu's. This has been the first gen since I got into pc building that I've avoided buying any of the cards.

Yeah it's hard to say what happens outside of the settings tested. I'm just going off what I can see.

I choose not to support the price gouging on the 2080 ti's. When they hit, I said no thanks and instead bought an Xbox one x and 55" 4k tv for my computer room. Has worked out really well since I kind of turned my computer room into a bit of a home theater in the process. Will enjoy the setup years beyond the useful life span of the 2080 ti.
You and me both, you and me both.

I just look locally for deals and the 10-series/see what microcenter has open box if I need a GPU. The 20xx series seems insanely overpriced considering I won't make use of any of the added technologies [especially with DLSS being as useless as it seems]. It is weird, most generations I cycle through GPUs like crazy. This one, aside from buying and returning a bunch of cards that I did not like, I have only upgraded my GPU once in the past year (got a crazy deal on a 1080Ti [honestly doesn't feel that much better than my 980ti; but w.e]). Conversely, I've had almost all the CPU's in the 8xxx-series Coffeelake lineup and all the Ryzen CPUs better than the 1600 (aside from the 2700x). Hopefully, once Navi comes out (or if they make more GTX cards [like an 1880 or something]), I can go back to screwing around with GPUs (which are more fun to OC in my opinion).

The XBO:X is a nice little system and game-pass is awesome (especially when on sale; it was $2 for two months recently); add a decent TV (and sound system) and you have a nice little media setup (even more so with a plex server). Consoles always get knocked, but there really is no better setup than one that has em all!
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:42 AM
I dunno what I'm doing.

Rep: 63 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by keikei View Post
Some possibilities:

1. Nvidia releases a GTX version of the 2080ti without RTX fro less $.
  2. Nvidia drops RTX lineup prices to make 2080ti more affordable.
  3. AMD releases a 2080ti competitor in 2019.
And we all know the only one on that list likely to happen is the AMD one.

It is what it is.
Waterworld
(21 items)
CPU
i7-8700k
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
GPU
GTX-1080ti Founder's Edition
RAM
Kingston HyperX
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 950 PRO
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II
Power Supply
Corsair RM650x
Cooling
Optimus V1 LGA-1151 Waterblock
Cooling
Nemesis GTS240
Cooling
Nemesis 120GTS
Cooling
EK D5 Revo
Cooling
Singularity Protium Pump Top/Case
Cooling
EKWB 10x0 Waterblock
Cooling
SavantPCs 240mm Reservoir
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
GMMK TKL
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Creative X7
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM
To The Game

You and me both, you and me both.

I just look locally for deals and the 10-series/see what microcenter has open box if I need a GPU. The 20xx series seems insanely overpriced considering I won't make use of any of the added technologies [especially with DLSS being as useless as it seems]. It is weird, most generations I cycle through GPUs like crazy. This one, aside from buying and returning a bunch of cards that I did not like, I have only upgraded my GPU once in the past year (got a crazy deal on a 1080Ti [honestly doesn't feel that much better than my 980ti; but w.e]). Conversely, I've had almost all the CPU's in the 8xxx-series Coffeelake lineup and all the Ryzen CPUs better than the 1600 (aside from the 2700x). Hopefully, once Navi comes out (or if they make more GTX cards [like an 1880 or something]), I can go back to screwing around with GPUs (which are more fun to OC in my opinion).

The XBO:X is a nice little system and game-pass is awesome (especially when on sale; it was $2 for two months recently); add a decent TV (and sound system) and you have a nice little media setup (even more so with a plex server). Consoles always get knocked, but there really is no better setup than one that has em all!
Yeah when I moved from my 980 ti to the 1080 ti I wasn't overly impressed. It was better of course but nothing like when I moved from a 780 to the 980 ti. That felt like a proper generational leap. Though I was going from a normal 780 and not the 780 ti.

Yeah I've got a good selection of platforms right now. FX 6300 (keep it in my closest though pull it out for benchmarking), 4790k (ol'ladys on it), R7 2700 (backup rig), 7820x (main rig). I did have a few other cpu's/mobo from that range of gen's though I try and sell them off when I no longer use them. I start feeling guilty about hording too much hardware.

I've been really happy with the Xbox one x. I don't game on it much but as for a media center type deal, 4k bluray, streaming, music whatever it's great. I do have the game pass. My main reason for going with the game pass is I otherwise wouldn't pick buying a game on Xbox over pc so the game pass gives me a large selection of xbox games without having to buy them. I luckily already had a good ht sound system for my pc so I just moved that over to the tv. I did cut out the surrounds and moved to 2.1 stereo to save space.

I'm as much an enthusiast as the next person around here but Nvidia just really annoyed me with the way they handled the rtx gpu's. I just can't bring myself to be taken advantage of like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in