CPU overclock can make graphics card fail ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

CPU overclock can make graphics card fail ?

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
CPU overclock can make graphics card fail ?

A simple question, can produce a CPU overclock failures with my graphics card ?

I'm trying to find stability for a slight overclock to my processor, and today just after starting the computer I opened google chrome, and I had a system freeze, for about 10 seconds, and then the screen went black and the screen appeared again with the system running.

ID EVENT 14 - The description of event 14 is not found on the origin nvlddmkm
and after few seconds 2x ID EVENT 4101 - nvlddmkm stopped working and has recovered

So it can be related to the CPU overclock, cuz im testing it so im not sure its 100% stable, or it can be related to the graphic card ? Before CPU didnt happaned, but this graphic its new, I has 1 week, so I dont know what can be

▐► CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
▐► GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
▐► MB: Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5
▐► RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentX @ 2400 MHz
▐► SSD1: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
▐► PSU: Corsair HX850W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
It can, but it's difficult to say without more information. You might find this read worthwhile.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

Quote:
The northbridge plays an important part in how far a computer can be overclocked, as its frequency is commonly used as a baseline for the CPU to establish its own operating frequency. This chip typically gets hotter as processor speed becomes faster, requiring more cooling. There is a limit to CPU overclocking, as digital circuits are limited by physical factors such as rise, fall, delay and storage times of the transistors, current gain bandwidth product, parasitic capacitance, and propagation delay, which increases with (among other factors) operating temperature; consequently most overclocking applications have software-imposed limits on the multiplier and external clock setting. Additionally, heat is a major limiting factor, as higher voltages are needed to properly activate field effect transistors inside CPUs and this higher voltage produces larger amounts of heat, requiring greater thermal solutions on the die.
Most people overclock their north bridge when they overclock the CPU.

It's a bit late as you only have a week and I just found this thread, but the way to troubleshoot that would be to drop your overclock and bench the graphics card. If it runs and is stable like that, it's the overclock. If it's not stable, it's the graphics card.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in