Bottleneck or faulty card/software? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bottleneck or faulty card/software?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
That's not a BIOS problem, the vBIOS is the the internal perimeters of the card, there is other firmware onboard AFAIK...it's the driver that communicates the software to the card and none of those cause what you're explaining. Could be wrong, but it doesn't sound right at all.

The pic you posted (please use a screenshot next time lol) shows a game that's not using HT, only your real cores are being loaded up.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I think Nvidia driver fails

Quote: Originally Posted by blodflekk View Post
I have a 2080Ti and things are not what I expected.

I think I need to track back to before I got the card. So I previously had a gtx1080, overclocked the snot out of it and was happy for a couple of years but then as always I was itching for more frames so I came at it again to overclock it further. Ended up doing a shunt mod on it and 2 weeks later it was dead. Not completely dead but lots of flickering and black screens and hangs. Dropped in my old gtx680 classified and problem solved, I haven't teared down the 1080 yet to see exactly what happened, I wanted to get back into gaming again so I needed a new card.

Looking at all the insane prices of the 20 series card, I decided if I'm going to be over paying for a new card then I may aswell go all out and find the best card I could. I landed on the evga ftw3 ultra. This is where all the problems started. Firstly precision x1 is only supported by windows 8 & 10. I have been using windows 7 and very content with it, the idea of upgrading os was utterly repulsive. So I tried using the only other software I was aware of that supported the RTX cards, which was afterburner. I've had problems with afterburner in the past and this time was no different, clocks weren't applying and I didn't have access to all 3 of my fans on it.

I decided I didn't pay all this money for this card to run it at stock so I decided to move to win10 and grabbed x1, worked like a charm. However the issues I have been having are low frame rates, only marginally above my 1080, a LOT of stutters and after about 5 minutes in game I am getting complete system crashes.

I have a 6850k at 4.3 (recently pushed 2 core to 4.4) 32GB DDR4 @3200 with tightened timings, all this has held up to all my stress testing, however I ran defaults to see if it improved my situation and it hasn't. So my question is, is it my cpu just holding back my gpu or is there something else possibly causing this? While I know 4.4/4.3 isn't much, I didn't think it was weak enough to really slow everything down to a crawl and cause crashes.
Wow I know its a little bit of an old thread but your situation was similar to mine and thought I'd share: New drivers 430.39 made all my OC and crashes stop crashing! I was suspicious this whole time until I read this thread that read my mind. I have a 6850k oc to 4.4 all cores been running 4.5 on 3 cores and 4.4 on 3, recently started crashing . not from heat system just starting all out crashing like someone yanked the plug out of the wall . Mis Game Mid browser search mid minor work load crashes galore ! so I figure the cpu is wearing out ... or Power supply or ... this kinda stuff drives me crazy, a new 2080ti ftw ultra and OC's were great hitting 2100 -2080- 2055- 2044 ... I automatically thought old hardware! or new games new hardware faulty... then I read this and it all clicked Nvidia has been updating the driver every 2 weeks it seems. Now there's new driver 430.39 and all is working great so on with the bottleneck thoery !
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5964822 scoring 6136 in Time spy extreme I was pretty happy with. I compared to a 9900k with the same GPU even tho the number is most games and work loads seem like minimal improvement https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6976008 to me scoring 7978 and if I scroll down the 1st 50 its still at 7599 tells me there's a bottleneck in the old architecture a 1500 - 2000 score increase in 3dMARKs seems pretty impressive from a cpu upgrade. I'm a little bit on the fence cause of all the additional heat reports but have found a few saying it stays mid 50's for normal use only above 60 for long sessions or stress testing.
It is generally wierd how we all want Turbo all the time... if you did that to a car you'd blow the engine lol
Thanks for posting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in