HELP! GTX 1080 performing way under spec - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

HELP! GTX 1080 performing way under spec

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Doom Slayer

Rep: 0
HELP! GTX 1080 performing way under spec

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this. Moderators please move if needed:::

Okay guys I need some help with something I just can't figure out. I ran firestrike benchmark and scored 18,869. WAY below what it should be. I randomly watched a video from a youtuber named tech yes city and with his x58 cpu and a 980 ti strix he scored just under 21,000. Something isn't right.

I was wondering if we might be able to troubleshoot this and see whats going on. If it's some weird bios settings I have going on or what. I understand pairing a x58 cpu with a 1080 there is going to be some bottleneck but I figured it would be minimal especially at such high clocks.

So I've got my x5675 clocked @5 GHZ . I've got 32gb of g skill ripjaws @1866mhz in triple channel. Asus rampage gene III. And then of course my evga sc gtx 1080. I am so confused. Can anyone tell me why I am scoring so low?

At first I thought thermals but nether the video card or cpu are getting super hot. With 100% fan speed my 1080 hovers around 55c and then to achieve 5 ghz overclock on the cpu, I am def shooting some volts into that thing( I think I am around 1.5v) BUT, I've got the cpu under water and on load it's around high 70's-low 80's. As far as I know the tj maxx is 96c so I shouldnt be getting any throttling.

I had an old msi gaming 6 980 ti that did the same thing but I am just now connecting the dots. With a custom bios, I had that thing stable at 1516mhz on the core and 4099mhz on the memory, and my firestrike score was just over 17,000. If tech yes city scored just under 21k with a strix 980 ti that was clocked under what mine was, it seems something it up, but I am not sure what

4th in the world for Xeon x5675 overclock
https://hwbot.org/submission/3703177...75_5211.82_mhz
My System
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon X5675
Motherboard
Asus Rampage III Gene
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC Black
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws 1866 DDR3
Power Supply
880 W Antec
Cooling
Corsair H115i AIO
Operating System
Win 7 64 BIT
Monitor
ASUS VS248H‑P ‑ 24" LED Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech
Mouse
Logitech
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by doom3crazy; 02-26-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
It's hard to say without verifying links on his Firestrike score.. Looking using the results browser I can't find a single score with the X5670 CPU with a GTX 1080 card over 18,869 points on regular Firestrike. I'm guessing that fastest score listed in the results browser is yours?? So at least according to the results database you have the fastest score for your configuration from all the submitted results.

https://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=2....080&gpuCount=1

I would hazard to guess that guy used a SLI configuration but didn't indicate it in the video. Or cheated out the system in some other way for recording his Youtube video. I've seen Youtubers do this a few times boosting they got some crazy score but never post a link to validate it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in