2080Ti lightning "Dead" after XOC bios Flash. - Page 18 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2080Ti lightning "Dead" after XOC bios Flash.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #171 of 184 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 191
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by ALSTER868 View Post
Can you please tell more about this bios and what more difference is there from regular LN2 bios? PL? Is ity suitable for air?
Its regular LN2 bios, i just found out it probably doesnt have fans bug. Also in the future if someone leaks Afterburner extreme for 2080Ti lightning it will work only with this bios.(if i dont count NDA one)

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #172 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Glerox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 459
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Hey Dangersk,

are you sure your bios doesn't have the fan bug?
I tried it and my system completely freezes, like it did for all bioses with the fan bug.
I'm back on the LN2 bios MSI gave me now.
Glerox is offline  
post #173 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 191
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Glerox View Post
Hey Dangersk,

are you sure your bios doesn't have the fan bug?
I tried it and my system completely freezes, like it did for all bioses with the fan bug.
I'm back on the LN2 bios MSI gave me now.
Thats what i wanted to know thx for feedback, the thing is i dont have any issues regarding Fan bug, i was curious if it was because of this bios or mods ive done to card

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #174 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Rep: 0
This thread saved me! Thank you all.

I put my Asus dual OC 2080 Ti on water about a month ago and sure enough about 2 weeks in it started doing the 1350/0.7V/50% power thing. I went in and tried to flash several different BIOS onto the card... but none of it helped the behavior...

so I...

-Put the "no-fan" bios onto it (from LN2Retail125Slovak.rar)... Thanks dangerSK... mine says that version is 90.02.17.40.9D... but your link says it's 90.02.17.40.89... is that weird?

<didn't solve it... but it was wishful thinking that it would once it was already in safe mode maybe>

-Took it back out of it's water block and connected it to it's stock cooler (and fans)... re-installed into PC on air and now it's working great.

So... Now of course I want to take it back off of air and plumb it back into the loop... With the one worry being that I will have to do this again in a couple weeks if the bios I put in doesn't fix the safe mode issue.

Has anyone put their cards back on water and had the issue re-appear with the no-fan bios?

Again... This forum saved me an RMA... Thank you all for that alone. Very much appreciated.

-jbow7
jbow7 is offline  
post #175 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 191
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by jbow7 View Post
This thread saved me! Thank you all.

I put my Asus dual OC 2080 Ti on water about a month ago and sure enough about 2 weeks in it started doing the 1350/0.7V/50% power thing. I went in and tried to flash several different BIOS onto the card... but none of it helped the behavior...

so I...

-Put the "no-fan" bios onto it (from LN2Retail125Slovak.rar)... Thanks dangerSK... mine says that version is 90.02.17.40.9D... but your link says it's 90.02.17.40.89... is that weird?

<didn't solve it... but it was wishful thinking that it would once it was already in safe mode maybe>

-Took it back out of it's water block and connected it to it's stock cooler (and fans)... re-installed into PC on air and now it's working great.

So... Now of course I want to take it back off of air and plumb it back into the loop... With the one worry being that I will have to do this again in a couple weeks if the bios I put in doesn't fix the safe mode issue.

Has anyone put their cards back on water and had the issue re-appear with the no-fan bios?

Again... This forum saved me an RMA... Thank you all for that alone. Very much appreciated.

-jbow7
Hi, Im glad I helped help someone and saved money/time for you, the thing is there are certain "actions" that trigger NO FAN BUG (Reinstalling drivers, an unplugging system for a longer period of time, changing/flashing bios etc) so u can try to avoid these and u will see for yourself... Just to be sure u can try to plug some DIY fan plug or something.
That bios isnt 100% fixing the issue, but what u know, maybe it will work for you. If something u can ask here for advice from me or others.
btw once the card is stuck in safe mode only thing that can revert it is plugging back fans.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
post #176 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Rep: 0
There it goes again...

Quote: Originally Posted by dangerSK View Post
Hi, Im glad I helped help someone and saved money/time for you, the thing is there are certain "actions" that trigger NO FAN BUG (Reinstalling drivers, an unplugging system for a longer period of time, changing/flashing bios etc) so u can try to avoid these and u will see for yourself... Just to be sure u can try to plug some DIY fan plug or something.
That bios isnt 100% fixing the issue, but what u know, maybe it will work for you. If something u can ask here for advice from me or others.
btw once the card is stuck in safe mode only thing that can revert it is plugging back fans.
Well i had about 2 weeks again... Card is back in safe mode. I have avoided any of the new driver updates or doing any flashing... I suspect there is something that runs a check every so often and kicks on the safe mode after a scheduled check.

Well... I am thinking for long term sustainability of having the card on water I will have to set up some sort of fan plug to trick the card. I will do some research... I have seen the actual plug attachments available (14 pin i think, will have to double check)... but will need to do some research on what the fan characteristics "should be" to pass the monitors. I am hoping it would just be a couple of resistors or something. Maybe even just a continuity check.

I will say that I am AMAZED that this isn't a bigger issue with the water cooled community in general. With the amount of water blocks available for the RTX cards... I would think that thousands of people would be seeing this. But maybe it's a specific vendor card issue or something...
jbow7 is offline  
post #177 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 191
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by jbow7 View Post
Well i had about 2 weeks again... Card is back in safe mode. I have avoided any of the new driver updates or doing any flashing... I suspect there is something that runs a check every so often and kicks on the safe mode after a scheduled check.

Well... I am thinking for long term sustainability of having the card on water I will have to set up some sort of fan plug to trick the card. I will do some research... I have seen the actual plug attachments available (14 pin i think, will have to double check)... but will need to do some research on what the fan characteristics "should be" to pass the monitors. I am hoping it would just be a couple of resistors or something. Maybe even just a continuity check.

I will say that I am AMAZED that this isn't a bigger issue with the water cooled community in general. With the amount of water blocks available for the RTX cards... I would think that thousands of people would be seeing this. But maybe it's a specific vendor card issue or something...
hi, sorry for late response. Yeah its pain in the ass, im working on a workaround for this "bug", it will probably require soldering (more like unsoldering ) We know that its pretty random... well nothing new for now, MSI isnt rly making progress.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
post #178 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:38 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by dangerSK View Post
hi, sorry for late response. Yeah its pain in the ass, im working on a workaround for this "bug", it will probably require soldering (more like unsoldering ) We know that its pretty random... well nothing new for now, MSI isnt rly making progress.

No worries. I have been doing a bunch of forensics on the fans, the connector, and fan emulators. I think I have a path that should work... Essentially pin a wire harness into the card connector, create a little wire harness, and have it terminate with a couple of fan emulators. Relatively small, cheap, and hopefully would be a long term fix... I plan on working through it this weekend. Will let you know how it plays through.
jbow7 is offline  
post #179 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 191
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by jbow7 View Post
No worries. I have been doing a bunch of forensics on the fans, the connector, and fan emulators. I think I have a path that should work... Essentially pin a wire harness into the card connector, create a little wire harness, and have it terminate with a couple of fan emulators. Relatively small, cheap, and hopefully would be a long term fix... I plan on working through it this weekend. Will let you know how it plays through.
I found another problem, even with shunt mod my Lightning is still PWR perfcaping, its reading like 60% PL but still throttles. I had to flash my 1000W bios to stop this.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
post #180 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 191
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
So its 99% confirmed Lightning checks PL through current and calculates power draw from vcore*current = pwr
this means shunt is nothing and u need bios

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off