2080Ti lightning "Dead" after XOC bios Flash. - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2080Ti lightning "Dead" after XOC bios Flash.

post #41 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 92 (Unique: 67)
Hi,
Some msi 2080ti sea hawks have shown up locally at micro center so this is interesting

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Some msi 2080ti sea hawks have shown up locally at micro center so this is interesting
i dont really understand what are you talkin about.. if u want good XOC card wait for Kingpin or buy used OC Lab.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #43 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Invalid Media

Rep: 40 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by dangerSK View Post
Dont think so. The card was all time in idle, probably something went wrong on SMBs side.

First, kudos for informing others re. the potential XOC Bios issue. I've done cross-flashing before as well, i.e. Asus Strix XOC Bios onto a 900 series EVGA KPE - surprisingly it worked, kind of > During boot, I had to kick up the voltage via EVBot first, otherwise continuous black-screens. As already mentioned before in another thread, I think you might be running either into a 2x 8 pin XOC Bios flashed onto a 2x 8 pin PLUS 1x 6 pin...or, and this has been mentioned as well during several other cases with the '1350' issue on RTX, there my be some weak Eprom chips out there.

As to RMAing, I share my one and only (and very recent) experience with MSI, which was actually quite pleasant. As context, in the build in the spoiler below, there is a lot of 'stuff' and I had to do a lot of 'squeezing', not least as I was using an e-ATX board (MSI X399 Creation) on a Core P5 which is 'tight' re. cable-throughput. In any case, there was a lot of tension on the 24v cable so I decided to get out the Dremel tool and proceeded to unscrew the mobo stand-offs nuts, but w/o removing the 24v cable tree under tension first...

...oopsie > the tension pulled the mobo off the stand-offs by itself and shaved off a cap or two next to the top center screw hole...board would still complete half a boot cycle but then reboot by itself, and Bios screen could only be accessed every 3rd or 4th time. So I took it out to bring back to the local retailer but during prep got klutzy - now, I had forgotten to disconnect the USB 3, and the top black part of the USB receptacle broke off

The dealer then showed me what had happened to the caps at the top - and I figured as long as I could find out which caps were there before, I could get some new ones and solder them on as this was at an accessible and easy to understand location on a very expensive mobo. The USB 3 port didn't much bother me as there are two anyhow, and even the first one still worked, just looked bad. When I called MSI, I told them exactly what had happened and that it was my fault. Surprisingly, MSI gave me an RMA# and when the mobo got back, I was only charged (a bit over $US 40) for the fix for the USB 3 receptacle, the secondary issue.

Finally. as the '1350 MHz' problem is not a unique phenomenon, I think MSI might help w/o asking too many questions. In any case, good luck getting it sorted !
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 92 (Unique: 67)
Hi,
I'm saying I had my eye on the sea hawk and your thread cross flashing has sort of closed that eye on the msi card

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #45 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
First, kudos for informing others re. the potential XOC Bios issue. I've done cross-flashing before as well, i.e. Asus Strix XOC Bios onto a 900 series EVGA KPE - surprisingly it worked, kind of > During boot, I had to kick up the voltage via EVBot first, otherwise continuous black-screens. As already mentioned before in another thread, I think you might be running either into a 2x 8 pin XOC Bios flashed onto a 2x 8 pin PLUS 1x 6 pin...or, and this has been mentioned as well during several other cases with the '1350' issue on RTX, there my be some weak Eprom chips out there.

As to RMAing, I share my one and only (and very recent) experience with MSI, which was actually quite pleasant. As context, in the build in the spoiler below, there is a lot of 'stuff' and I had to do a lot of 'squeezing', not least as I was using an e-ATX board (MSI X399 Creation) on a Core P5 which is 'tight' re. cable-throughput. In any case, there was a lot of tension on the 24v cable so I decided to get out the Dremel tool and proceeded to unscrew the mobo stand-offs nuts, but w/o removing the 24v cable tree under tension first...

...oopsie > the tension pulled the mobo off the stand-offs by itself and shaved off a cap or two next to the top center screw hole...board would still complete half a boot cycle but then reboot by itself, and Bios screen could only be accessed every 3rd or 4th time. So I took it out to bring back to the local retailer but during prep got klutzy - now, I had forgotten to disconnect the USB 3, and the top black part of the USB receptacle broke off

The dealer then showed me what had happened to the caps at the top - and I figured as long as I could find out which caps were there before, I could get some new ones and solder them on as this was at an accessible and easy to understand location on a very expensive mobo. The USB 3 port didn't much bother me as there are two anyhow, and even the first one still worked, just looked bad. When I called MSI, I told them exactly what had happened and that it was my fault. Surprisingly, MSI gave me an RMA# and when the mobo got back, I was only charged (a bit over $US 40) for the fix for the USB 3 receptacle, the secondary issue.

Finally. as the '1350 MHz' problem is not a unique phenomenon, I think MSI might help w/o asking too many questions. In any case, good luck getting it sorted !
Spoiler!
Sure if i can prevent even one gpu death its worth it. Also thanks for sharing your story i hope MSI wont ask too much questions. I know about 1350mhz issue on other cards seems common however its just a sign something is wrong, if your card doesnt boosts and stays at 1350mhz it means its in safe mode because something failed to pass "health" check. Kinda similiar as when you get check engine in your car.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
RAM
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #46 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 40 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by dangerSK View Post
Sure if i can prevent even one gpu death its worth it. Also thanks for sharing your story i hope MSI wont ask too much questions. I know about 1350mhz issue on other cards seems common however its just a sign something is wrong, if your card doesnt boosts and stays at 1350mhz it means its in safe mode because something failed to pass "health" check. Kinda similiar as when you get check engine in your car.

The 1350 MHz safe mode issue (even w/ potentially different causes) is common enough across RTX that I suspect that vendors have an internal tech bulletin on it for their RMA staff, and that would make your claim a bit easier.

BTW, what are you going to do if they send you a replacement for your Lightning-Z and then the 2080 Ti KPE is (finally !) out to be purchased, EVBot-ready and other Bios goodies et al included ?
post #47 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
The 1350 MHz safe mode issue (even w/ potentially different causes) is common enough across RTX that I suspect that vendors have an internal tech bulletin on it for their RMA staff, and that would make your claim a bit easier.

BTW, what are you going to do if they send you a replacement for your Lightning-Z and then the 2080 Ti KPE is (finally !) out to be purchased, EVBot-ready and other Bios goodies et al included ?
i will sell it In our local store theres option that you can request money instead of replacement, well i dont rly care i will be happy if i can get anything

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
RAM
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #48 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:01 PM
Overclocker & Enthusiast

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I know there was an issue on 2080ti's with mounting pressure, it can cause the 1350MHz bug (info from buildzoid with my exact card). Not entirely sure what caused it but might be because it's too tight, but he also said it happened randomly when using the Morpheus ll on it so... Figure it might be worth a shot to remount it with some new TIM. Good luck!

CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard
MSI X570 ACE
GPU
2080Ti FE (Buildzoid edition + waterblock)
RAM
G.skill Trident Royal 4800MHz CL18 (F4-4800C18D-16GTRS)
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 EVO
Power Supply
Leadex Superflower 1000W platinum
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro
Cooling
240mm + 240mm + 140mm MLC phoenix rads with pumps integrated into both.
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv
Monitor
ASUS PG278QR
Monitor
ASUS MG28U
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Corsair Schimitar
Other
Samsung 970 pro 1TB
▲ hide details ▲
post #49 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Slovak_Killer

Quote: Originally Posted by ComansoRowlett View Post
I know there was an issue on 2080ti's with mounting pressure, it can cause the 1350MHz bug (info from buildzoid with my exact card). Not entirely sure what caused it but might be because it's too tight, but he also said it happened randomly when using the Morpheus ll on it so... Figure it might be worth a shot to remount it with some new TIM. Good luck!
hmm i can try, i have waterblock on lightning and he is screwed very tightly, but i dont think its related because this bug happened after bios flash and i didnt move around the card.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
RAM
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #50 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 70)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
I can't recommend this tbh. I have 2 one is out for RMA as it artifacts the moment load is applied. Bad draw but the block performance is very meh. I've had like 3 different manufacture RTX blocks at this point but in total like 6 rtx 2080ti assorted blocks. I also have a trio with a non ek block. Yet to test it but yeah I wasn't too fond of the strix bp block performance and this ek one for the trio is worse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in