980ti short diagnostics - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

980ti short diagnostics

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 155 (Unique: 136)
I picked up a no power Gigabyte 980ti G1 gaming off of eBay to repair. I figured there was a short on it and that it was probably a mosfet blown. Upon quick diagnostics I determined the pcie fuse is blown and there is a short somewhere along the pcie rail.

90% of the capacitors have continuity to ground on both sides of the caps. All of the GPU vcore inductors have continuity of both sides to ground. The pcie rail inductor and shunt has continuity however the 12v rail/shunts does not have any shorts. The data pins on the pcie connector are not shorted so I believe the GPU die is fine. This was all within a 30 min quick diagnostic. Where should I focus my search for the main short? Toward the beginning of the pcie rail by the fuse? I was thinking I could remove the pcie inductor and see what side of the board the short is on. Does this seem like a good plan of attack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Slovak_Killer

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by kill View Post
I picked up a no power Gigabyte 980ti G1 gaming off of eBay to repair. I figured there was a short on it and that it was probably a mosfet blown. Upon quick diagnostics I determined the pcie fuse is blown and there is a short somewhere along the pcie rail.

90% of the capacitors have continuity to ground on both sides of the caps. All of the GPU vcore inductors have continuity of both sides to ground. The pcie rail inductor and shunt has continuity however the 12v rail/shunts does not have any shorts. The data pins on the pcie connector are not shorted so I believe the GPU die is fine. This was all within a 30 min quick diagnostic. Where should I focus my search for the main short? Toward the beginning of the pcie rail by the fuse? I was thinking I could remove the pcie inductor and see what side of the board the short is on. Does this seem like a good plan of attack?
Did u actually measured it with continuity mode on multimeter or did u use Ohm mode ? If u used Ohm mode (which is right one, dont use continuity) can u tell us exact Ohm measurements you got ?

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by dangerSK View Post

Did u actually measured it with continuity mode on multimeter or did u use Ohm mode ? If u used Ohm mode (which is right one, dont use continuity) can u tell us exact Ohm measurements you got ?
I did use continuity mode for most of it. I did try ohm mode for the fuse as well and there was no connection through the fuse. When I get home from work I can go back over everything with ohm mode and go from there. I also have an identical 980ti that artifacts that I can use for parts and measurements from a "working" point of view
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Slovak_Killer

I did use continuity mode for most of it. I did try ohm mode for the fuse as well and there was no connection through the fuse. When I get home from work I can go back over everything with ohm mode and go from there. I also have an identical 980ti that artifacts that I can use for parts and measurements from a "working" point of view
Okay, definitely redo it with Ohm mode, why ? Because while continuity mode will show short, in Ohm mode u will see 0.03 Ohms on vcore and thats totally fine, so yeah, if u want more detailed explanation watch Buildzoids video on this topic :

Btw have fun, i had fun with my 980ti G1 too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97956758-0dde-4983-8149-66e5b15f2aae.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	259978  

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
RAM
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Okay, definitely redo it with Ohm mode, why ? Because while continuity mode will show short, in Ohm mode u will see 0.03 Ohms on vcore and thats totally fine, so yeah, if u want more detailed explanation watch Buildzoids video on this topic :

Btw have fun, i had fun with my 980ti G1 too [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thanks! Funnily every single inductor you have removed on that pic have that continuity.so does the one to the left of the pcie power connectors. May I ask what ended up being wrong with yours?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Slovak_Killer

Thanks! Funnily every single inductor you have removed on that pic have that continuity.so does the one to the left of the pcie power connectors. May I ask what ended up being wrong with yours?
Ofc theres been continuity, not because short but because low impedance of vcore. On mine there was short cause by hardmode

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
RAM
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Slovak_Killer

Ofc theres been continuity, not because short but because of low impedance of vcore. On mine there was short cause by OTP mod.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
RAM
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ofc theres been continuity, not because short but because of low impedance of vcore. On mine there was short cause by OTP mod.
Yep you were right. just got home and checked with ohms. 0.000 on one side 0.004 on the other for the caps and 0.004 on both sides of the inductors

EDIT: Something def blew on the board. Going through the values the pcie 12v is shorted to ground. My "good" gpu I get lots of resistance(2k+) and the dead one i get 0.004. HOWEVER i just found 2 blown resisters on the dead card(R174 and R172)

Last edited by kill; 03-18-2019 at 06:53 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I know this thread is a little older so i figured i would bump with a update. It turned out to be a bad memory voltage controller. However i damaged the pcb when trying to remove. I am going to salvage the gpu itself off the board and place it onto my other board that has a bad gpu(artifacts). The memory was most likely hit with 12v so im writing off that board in general.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in