msi rtx 2080 gaming x trio overclocking voltage limit? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

msi rtx 2080 gaming x trio overclocking voltage limit?

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
msi rtx 2080 gaming x trio overclocking voltage limit?

hi, just upgraded from a vega 64 liquid (cooling defect) to the msi rtx 2080 gaming x trio and i have a question about overclocking (voltage).

what i did so far:
* installed afterburner 4.6.1
* set power limit to 109% (maximum setting in afterburner)
* set temp limit to 88°c (automatically linked to power limit)
* memory clock +1325mhz (was suprised this is working - get artefacts with +1400mhz)
* core clock +85mhz is working fine with standard voltage 1050mv (resulting in a clock rate of 2025-2070mhz)
* temperature and noise are fine (not hearing it, temps around 60-65°c)

with the settings above, its using about 75-80% power tdp (afterburner) - so there should be room for higher clocks.
UPDATE: got it, actually running into the tdp limit, just not with every game (certainly do so with bfv)

results:
* timespy graphics score: 123xx
* firestrike graphics score: 294xx

here is the problem - i can't increase the voltage. setting the core voltage % (afterburner) anything between 0% - + 100% does not change anything. also, changing the curve (strg+f) does not change the voltage. i tried both unlock voltage control "standard msi" and "extended msi" without success.

am i doing something wrong or am i not aware of a vcore limit @1050mV?

off-topic: surprisingly, freesync is working "better" than with the vega (samsung cf791) - had massive flickering problems with vega.

BR

Last edited by sneida; 04-28-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
im having the same exact problem. would love for someone to help us out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Overclock Enthusiast

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by sneida View Post
hi, just upgraded from a vega 64 liquid (cooling defect) to the msi rtx 2080 gaming x trio and i have a question about overclocking (voltage).

what i did so far:
* installed afterburner 4.6.1
* set power limit to 109% (maximum setting in afterburner)
* set temp limit to 88°c (automatically linked to power limit)
* memory clock +1325mhz (was suprised this is working - get artefacts with +1400mhz)
* core clock +85mhz is working fine with standard voltage 1050mv (resulting in a clock rate of 2025-2070mhz)
* temperature and noise are fine (not hearing it, temps around 60-65°c)

with the settings above, its using about 75-80% power tdp (afterburner) - so there should be room for higher clocks.
UPDATE: got it, actually running into the tdp limit, just not with every game (certainly do so with bfv)

results:
* timespy graphics score: 123xx
* firestrike graphics score: 294xx

here is the problem - i can't increase the voltage. setting the core voltage % (afterburner) anything between 0% - + 100% does not change anything. also, changing the curve (strg+f) does not change the voltage. i tried both unlock voltage control "standard msi" and "extended msi" without success.

am i doing something wrong or am i not aware of a vcore limit @1050mV?

off-topic: surprisingly, freesync is working "better" than with the vega (samsung cf791) - had massive flickering problems with vega.

BR
When you use Curve mode and set the target line (CTRL + L) on some high voltage like 1.200mV, then proceed to -1 all the steps/dots before it so your current clock (white/red line depending on your AB skin) start moving towards the yellow line, on what voltage the white/red line stops?

On my FTW3 it stops at 1093mV, which I'm pretty sure is the max allowed voltage for Turing, unless MSI for some reason is limiting on Bios.
Also, check on MSI forums for the most updated Bios for your card, I know they released a few updates for RTX's but you need to request there.

» Intel i7 8700K delided 5Ghz | » EVGA CLC 280 watercooler | » Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | » G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3400Mhz CL16
» EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra OC: 2175/8250 @ Kraken G12/x42 | » Dell S2716DG 27' 144Hz G-Sync (DP) + LG 49UJ6525 4K [email protected] (HDMI)
» Sentey 80 Plus Gold 1000W | » Thermaltake Core x71 TG | » Windows 10 Pro 1709 build 16299.1059

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in