Full upgrade or only GPU? Bottleneck? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Full upgrade or only GPU? Bottleneck?

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8564dan View Post
Opening this thread up again. Thanks for the replies so far.

After a lot of looking around and trying to decide on the best build, I'm putting the new build on hold until after Computex so I at least know where I stand with some things and getting the best performance I can afford.

I've been looking at my current rig and am wanting to do as best as I can bang for buck for a worthwhile upgrade that can serve as a second system to aid in rendering for my new build once I get it.

Please note these systems aren't for gaming.

I found the Xeon X5675 here at such a good price.

My plan is to also go water only for CPU (I want to water cool my new build so this is nice practice for me) and overclock to 4.5 - 5Ghz.

My current card is the ATI 5870 which needs to go as I can't even utilise GPU rendering with it.

I've been looking a lot into what GPU to get and I narrowed it down to the following:

GTX 1070

GTX 1070 TI

RTX 2060

Those cards at those specific links are all within the same price range and I'm finding it hard to decide on things for a few reasons:

1 - They are PCI 3.0 and my board is only 2.0 - I know that a 16x 2.0 is essentially an 8x 3.0? How much performance loss will there be?

2 - Are they even going to be compatible with my Asus P6TD Deluxe? I've looked around... lots of users having issues and lots of users having success on their X58 boards so I'm sceptical.

3 - The RTX 2060 looks great for a one GPU setup and utilises new tech, has faster memory and actually performs well in Redshift benchmarks as seen here ... I guess the 1070 TI would be my ideal choice performance wise but the second-hand thing bothers me. That eBay listing says it's only 6 months old and there's a 6 month seller warranty (not sure what that actually means). It is also cheaper than both the new 2060 and 1070.

4 - In GPU rendering, it's recommended that you have double the amount of RAM to VRAM. I have 12GB and have looked into getting more RAM but I don't think the price warrants it for this rig.

5 - Is it even worth considering a modern card like one of these with the Xeon X5675 and my mobo?

I want to make sure I get the best bang for buck performance upgrade with this rig as I will be getting a brand new latest spec system later also.

I've considered going with a newer mobo with PCI 3.0 etc... but I just don't see it being worth it at the price it would cost compared to what I'm considering with the Xeon.

Redshift and Octane within Cinema 4D

Really interesting - this is why I'm considering what I've spoken about above.

Any help/advise would be great right now - I've done so much reading and looking around trying to decide and it's time to make a decision. I can't currently utilise my machine for what I want to do so it's holding me back purely because of the GPU ... so the GPU is my main blocker. Thanks again!
1 - Yes x16 2.0 is same as x8 3.0. There will be slight performance loss.
2 - Even a gtx 1080ti works in an ancient board like gigabyte 945gcmx. It will work in every mobo which has PCIe x16 slot.
4 - GPU rendering uses VRAM (usage depends on scene density) more than your main RAM. GPU rendering will even work if you have 4GB of RAM.

here is interesting PCIe benchmarks, to check how much performance is lost by lesser PCIe bandwidth.
For now I did all these test on Single GTX 1050ti + X99 Gaming 5P + i7 [email protected] 4.2Ghz.
I switched PCIe gen from BIOS and I have confirmed PCIe bandwidth by running AIDA64 GPGPU test and GPU-z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8564dan View Post
Opening this thread up again. Thanks for the replies so far.

After a lot of looking around and trying to decide on the best build, I'm putting the new build on hold until after Computex so I at least know where I stand with some things and getting the best performance I can afford.

I've been looking at my current rig and am wanting to do as best as I can bang for buck for a worthwhile upgrade that can serve as a second system to aid in rendering for my new build once I get it.

Please note these systems aren't for gaming.

I found the Xeon X5675 here at such a good price.

My plan is to also go water only for CPU (I want to water cool my new build so this is nice practice for me) and overclock to 4.5 - 5Ghz.

My current card is the ATI 5870 which needs to go as I can't even utilise GPU rendering with it.

I've been looking a lot into what GPU to get and I narrowed it down to the following:

GTX 1070

GTX 1070 TI

RTX 2060

Those cards at those specific links are all within the same price range and I'm finding it hard to decide on things for a few reasons:

1 - They are PCI 3.0 and my board is only 2.0 - I know that a 16x 2.0 is essentially an 8x 3.0? How much performance loss will there be?

2 - Are they even going to be compatible with my Asus P6TD Deluxe? I've looked around... lots of users having issues and lots of users having success on their X58 boards so I'm sceptical.

3 - The RTX 2060 looks great for a one GPU setup and utilises new tech, has faster memory and actually performs well in Redshift benchmarks as seen here ... I guess the 1070 TI would be my ideal choice performance wise but the second-hand thing bothers me. That eBay listing says it's only 6 months old and there's a 6 month seller warranty (not sure what that actually means). It is also cheaper than both the new 2060 and 1070.

4 - In GPU rendering, it's recommended that you have double the amount of RAM to VRAM. I have 12GB and have looked into getting more RAM but I don't think the price warrants it for this rig.

5 - Is it even worth considering a modern card like one of these with the Xeon X5675 and my mobo?

I want to make sure I get the best bang for buck performance upgrade with this rig as I will be getting a brand new latest spec system later also.

I've considered going with a newer mobo with PCI 3.0 etc... but I just don't see it being worth it at the price it would cost compared to what I'm considering with the Xeon.

Redshift and Octane within Cinema 4D

Really interesting - this is why I'm considering what I've spoken about above.

Any help/advise would be great right now - I've done so much reading and looking around trying to decide and it's time to make a decision. I can't currently utilise my machine for what I want to do so it's holding me back purely because of the GPU ... so the GPU is my main blocker. Thanks again!
I use Vray+indigo for gpu rendering. Earlier i used mining rig with 8x gtx 1080ti + i3 7100 + 8gb ram. GPU bandwidth was PCIe 2.0x1 for each 8 of them.
Later i upgraded my rig to dual 18c xeons to aid in CPU rendering too, but there wasn't much improvement in GPU rendering due to higher PCIe bandwidth on this dual cpu mobo.
Right now i have 4x 1080ti running at Pcie 3.0x16 each on this rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in