GTX1080ti or RTX2070 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GTX1080ti or RTX2070

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 309 (Unique: 225)
Quote: Originally Posted by junglechocolate View Post
What I've actually heard is that miners take good care of their cards, more so than the average user
Maybe your OCN enthusiast miner does for their 1 card but a for profit mining operation with a hundreds cards certainly does not. Some folks lock the gear in a closet at home to quiet it down in a shoddy made rack and make it cook. Doesn't matter how well you care about it either, it's running close to full power nonstop, it was never designed for that, it was designed for a sporadic use for 2-3 years, not nonstop abuse.

If I've learned anything form buying 2nd hand hardware it's that people don't take good care of electronics especially GPUs. Personally I have hardware that still works after 10+ years but I also know other people that have similar hardware they broke it in warranty already.

Especially with GPUs I would check for any component damage, people like to nick things off, capacitors, resistors, etc. Break the fan blades or sell cards when fans give up from constant use.

You're never gonna get a good card from a for profit operation, period.

---

As far as getting upgrade from RMA... largely depends on region and luck. Even when the card is not manufactured anymore they often have a stockpile of old cards from previous RMAs etc. refurbs and will give you that, which in case of ASUS almost always means that you get back worse than what you send them in RMA and end up cycling it over and over until they have to refund you. Also depends on local service center policies and people there. ASUS for example doesn't mind to make you wait 1+ month before sending anything back to you, which is OK if you bought it a regular customer (not as a company/for business) as after 1 month they have to refund you by law in EU. If you bought it as a company they will rotate it endlessly until you give up, taking 3-4 months with no resolution unless you get a hold of their CS HQ in Taiwan.
Doing RMAs especially on 2nd hand bought items is a nightmare. Buying 2nd hand = 99% forget about any warranty no matter what the seller is trying to tell you, in EU the shops often only wants to deal with the original buyer not with you as a 2nd/3rd/... owner, service center accepting RMAs directly from customers largely depends on the manufacturer and even specific item type, even then they love to screw you over as much as they can, at least ASUS does.

The only company that had a good RMA procedure in my experience was HP since they are used to dealing with business customers who wouldn't stand for the shoddy practices that ASUS, MSI, EVGA, etc. pure consumer brands do.

---

2nd hand 1080Ti from a reputable source, sure why not. From some random schmuck off of internet... eeeehh probably not. The only people selling 1080Ti are miners and those that upgraded to 2080Ti/RTX. The supply is fairly minuscule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
it just took 5 hours and two people (me, and manager of our provider) to get HP to replace a defective screen on a brand new X360 that we received in a lot of 50. All have send-tech warranties.

n yeah, an intact warranty, (physically via paper trail, and no broken warranty seals) is a rarity when buying a second hand GPU... i try to always get evga when going used as they're still the easiest to work with, even with how they've had to clamp down... Maybe if folks stopped RMA'ing cards simply because they can't get it above 2085mhz (cuz you know 2101mhz would mean 4k 120fps, but 2085? good luck with 4k period!)

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
this is simply not true. It's incredibly rare that they trade up your card, and even if they do, you'd get a 2080 in exchange for a 1080ti. Now then, there are rare situations like with the KPE, where no stock exists thus folks are getting a bump up to 20 series... SUPPOSEDLY. Still a 1080ti KPE is only gonna get you an SC 2080.

they only start trading up once all available stockpiles of refurbs are gone, which is usually years and years later, as RMA'd cards are cleaned up, parted out, fixed up, & sent back out as replacements for RMA'd cards. I RMA'd a 480 a couple years back, guess what I got back? A different 480! I've also gotten back the exact same card w/ repairs made to (new VRM, etc)
This may be untrue in your country. But it's true in my country. Here most of the gpu brands service is provided by third party. Rule is simple here, if they dont have same GPU to give, then they will give you upgraded gpu of same price or full refund in extreme cases. I got GTX 1080 amp edition for used zotac 980ti which i purchased from one of my friend. I have also got samsung 970 pro 1tb as replacement for samsung 960 pro 1tb ssd. If company don't have any stock to replace your GPU, then they will have to give you upgraded model as replacement. Replacement are not new pack everytime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Maybe your OCN enthusiast miner does for their 1 card but a for profit mining operation with a hundreds cards certainly does not. Some folks lock the gear in a closet at home to quiet it down in a shoddy made rack and make it cook. Doesn't matter how well you care about it either, it's running close to full power nonstop, it was never designed for that, it was designed for a sporadic use for 2-3 years, not nonstop abuse.

If I've learned anything form buying 2nd hand hardware it's that people don't take good care of electronics especially GPUs. Personally I have hardware that still works after 10+ years but I also know other people that have similar hardware they broke it in warranty already.

Especially with GPUs I would check for any component damage, people like to nick things off, capacitors, resistors, etc. Break the fan blades or sell cards when fans give up from constant use.

You're never gonna get a good card from a for profit operation, period.

---

As far as getting upgrade from RMA... largely depends on region and luck. Even when the card is not manufactured anymore they often have a stockpile of old cards from previous RMAs etc. refurbs and will give you that, which in case of ASUS almost always means that you get back worse than what you send them in RMA and end up cycling it over and over until they have to refund you. Also depends on local service center policies and people there. ASUS for example doesn't mind to make you wait 1+ month before sending anything back to you, which is OK if you bought it a regular customer (not as a company/for business) as after 1 month they have to refund you by law in EU. If you bought it as a company they will rotate it endlessly until you give up, taking 3-4 months with no resolution unless you get a hold of their CS HQ in Taiwan.

Doing RMAs especially on 2nd hand bought items is a nightmare. Buying 2nd hand = 99% forget about any warranty no matter what the seller is trying to tell you, in EU the shops often only wants to deal with the original buyer not with you as a 2nd/3rd/... owner, service center accepting RMAs directly from customers largely depends on the manufacturer and even specific item type, even then they love to screw you over as much as they can, at least ASUS does.

The only company that had a good RMA procedure in my experience was HP since they are used to dealing with business customers who wouldn't stand for the shoddy practices that ASUS, MSI, EVGA, etc. pure consumer brands do.

---

2nd hand 1080Ti from a reputable source, sure why not. From some random schmuck off of internet... eeeehh probably not. The only people selling 1080Ti are miners and those that upgraded to 2080Ti/RTX. The supply is fairly minuscule.
Any proof that mining 24x7 heavily damages GPU ? Capacitors, MOSFETs can get damaged due to high temperatures, but gpu chip, not likely, since miners use it ondervolted.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:23 AM
April 2020

Rep: 310 (Unique: 237)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
it just took 5 hours and two people (me, and manager of our provider) to get HP to replace a defective screen on a brand new X360 that we received in a lot of 50. All have send-tech warranties.

n yeah, an intact warranty, (physically via paper trail, and no broken warranty seals) is a rarity when buying a second hand GPU... i try to always get evga when going used as they're still the easiest to work with, even with how they've had to clamp down... Maybe if folks stopped RMA'ing cards simply because they can't get it above 2085mhz (cuz you know 2101mhz would mean 4k 120fps, but 2085? good luck with 4k period!)
I'll agree with that statement wholeheartedly. PC ports arent optimized in general. Adding 4k res to the mix doesnt help. I've mingled with it since xfire 290's, we're still struggling today. Unless, you wanna drop $1300+ on a 2080ti, but you will still have limitations again.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
AMD RADEON VEGA VII
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
2080ti is starting to get there well enough... took long enough, since we've been in the 4k era since Keplar, according to NV & AMD.

Most of the time, in the titles I play(with 1080tis), the concessions made to get 4K running smoothly are too extreme. 1440p max tends to look better, and run smoother.

I plan to get the alienware 3440x1440p, and set my 4K 10bit to the side for now.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM
April 2020

Rep: 310 (Unique: 237)
I think if OP holds off for 2/3 weeks to hear what AMD has to offer, he'll be pleasantly surprised. It doesnt take a genius to see the glaring holes in the RTX lineup (2060/2070) where AMD can basically pick off with much better offerings. New arch + new node? It should be shooting fish in a barrel.

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
AMD RADEON VEGA VII
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
VORTEX POK3R WHITE EDITION
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 44)
Nobody knows about AMD, I mean the vega 64 perform less than the 1070 which is performs similar to 980ti i.e. a 4 year old card.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:13 PM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 13 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by PachAz View Post
Nobody knows about AMD, I mean the vega 64 perform less than the 1070 which is performs similar to 980ti i.e. a 4 year old card.

That's an ancient statistic, look up newer reviews.

PC for all
(18 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX580 8GB Nitro+
RAM
2x KHX2400C11D3/8GX 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Toshiba HDWD10 (P300)
Power Supply
Corsair CS650M
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis + Arctic Cooling MX4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
SteelSeries QCk Mini
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808
Audio
AKG K240 Studio 1st rev
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 44)
When AMD will release a GPU that performs better than the 2080ti for 400 dollars then I will take them seriously again. The last good gpu from AMD was the r9 290 OC which performed better than the titan but retailed for around 370ish. Untill then I will keep on buying used 1080ti because that was the last "sane" gpu from nvidia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in