980ti - Sudden shutdown while gaming - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

980ti - Sudden shutdown while gaming

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Depends on the game and the settings but some of the newer AAA games are a little too demanding with an RTX 2060 and can barely hit 60 FPS the RTX 2070 is a bit better. If you play games like LOL, WOW, CS GO, Fortnite and Overwatch that dont demand a ton sure the RTX 2060 is more than enough

Since you have an Acer Z35 200hz monitor listed i dont see why you would not want to use that and buy a card that cant play more than a few games with more than 100 FPS
Couple of reasons:
- I don't play as much as I used too and I usually don't play newer titles. DOS2 is the most demanding game I have played in more than a year.
- I used to go for the top end card, but right now it makes more sense to me to go for a mid-range card that has the best price to performance. If in say 2 years I am not satisfied with the performance, I will just upgrade.

That being said, I have not done a ton of research.

Quote: Originally Posted by Avacado View Post
Have you considered taking off the H/S fan, cleaning and re-applying thermal paste? I had an old GTX 970 that would lock up the same way. Took it apart, re-applied and she has been working smooth in my sons rig ever since.

Just realized you said your card was a hybrid, still the above advise would still apply.
Temps are not an issue, so I doubt your suggestion will help. Also there was no gradual increase with this problem, I just came out of nowhere. I will consider it though. Always fun to take a card apart.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35([email protected]); 980 Ti Hybrid stock; 6700K 4.6ghz/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Wattage is a bit misleading. Without getting too overly complicated, basically each Voltage on a power supply has a maximum current on each line. Each voltage maxxed at each amperage attains a wattage (Volts x Amps = Watts). If you get a power supply that is double (or more) of what is suggested you generally never run in to these problems and efficiency might also be better. If you have a power supply that is also rated as PFC, even better. Look at it like this: If your car has an engine that red-lines at 5000 RPM, is that where you want to run it all the time, or would you rather run it at 2500-3000RPM? Is a car more fuel efficient at 80 MPH or 55 MPH? As speed increases, so does win coefficients. As Current increases, so does heat and strain on the components themselves. I never run anything less than 800Watts PSU on my rig, even though it is probably rated at 450 maximum.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

450w not even close to enough. Upgrade it. Simple fix and relatively cheap. 750-1000w should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Power supply capacitors ( the filters which reduce ripple and smooth voltages out) degrade about 10% a year with normal use. You power supply is probably due for a swap out. Lousy local power can contribute to the decline, even if you are on a UPS. Sometimes just having your fans get a little dirtier or get hair wrapped around their insides (hair gets into everything eventually) can make your fans draw extra power and make them cool less. I would try a power supply with at least another 100-150 watt capacity (headroom is key to longevity and efficiency) preferably with a strong single rail 12V line.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2720 (Unique: 1616)
For crying out loud we have been over this like 3 times already its NOT a PSU/wattage problem the problem is there with an AX860 and as well as the GM450 its the card not the PSU
Does not matter if he tried a 2000 watt PSU or a kept using the 450 watt the problem would still be the same

Edit: Wijkert tried another GPU and the problem went away so its 100% the GPU and 3 days ago he posted that he would be looking to get an RTX 2060
Please update the OP so people knows whats going on and wont post about the PSU being too small when its not related to the GPU dying

Seravee
(32 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 05-15-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Please update the OP so people knows whats going on and wont post about the PSU being too small when its not related to the GPU dying
Done!

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35([email protected]); 980 Ti Hybrid stock; 6700K 4.6ghz/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

The first mistake you made was buying anything Asus. I have a horror story about a fried X99 Asus motherboard that was only solved after Intel replaced the processor it fried and Amazon refunded me what I paid for the motherboard. I also have an older Asus laptop that fried its Nvidia card prematurely. The only hardware I have on my current PC that is Asus is my 27" inch LED monitor and its been great. However I will never buy anything else from them again because they don't stand behind their warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in